Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I dont know what your talking about dude. And Im not basing that off of 10 years ago, as 10 years ago I was in high school and was not old enough to go to the club. Sutra is not a hip hop club, they play Top 40 music, any popular song be it rap, pop, or rock will be played in there. Leopard Lounge is Hip Hop only on Thursday night, and even then really just in the downstairs portion. Never went to 1150 when it was open, and I have never even heard of Lava. And Opera playing hip hop??? Not hardly, everytime I go to Opera I hear 80's music, and techno. The only rap I have heard in there is Kanye West, and thats really Top 40 pop music. There is no stricly hip hop club in Midtown or Buckhead anymore, there are some inside Kenny's Alley downtown, and the rest are spread here and therearound town. The only strickly hip hop clubs are Frequency, House, and whatever else is in Kenny's Alley in Underground, Esso's in East Atlanta, Central Station in East Point, Crucial on Bankhead in NW Atlanta, Figure 8 on Campbellton in SW Atlanta (my street ), Velvet Room on Chamblee-Tucker Rd, and Insomnia on Old National in College Park. Just because you look around a club and see a bunch of black people and just because the DJ plays a 30 minute set of rap mixed in with everything else does not make it a hip hop club. None of the clubs you mentioned are hip hop clubs dude, this is Atlanta, trust you will know when your in a hip hop club. A hip hop club is somthing like Central Station in East Point, where the minute you walk in you catch a contact high, the parking lot is literally a car show, and you might see a fight or two before the night is over. Leopard Lounge, Opera, MJQ, Door 44, and Sutra are not hip hop clubs, no where near it actually
When did this turn into the difference between a true hip hop club vs a mainstream club that plays a lot of hip hop? I lived in Atlanta for 10 years I know the difference too. All I said was all of those clubs were featuring hip hop last time I visited Atlanta...they are by no means black clubs or places where real hip hop heads go to hang out. Regardless, Sutra was playing Yung Joc, UGK, Gucci Mane...no Miley Cirus thrown in, and definitely not electronic/house. In Opera it was a set of southern rap top to bottom, complete with posers in VIP overhead making it rain, and that was on a Saturday night. Could have been a special event. Perhaps that is just not the case normally, but I was very surprised and just figured it was a sign of the times that the music scene changed in midtown. Years ago they were all uniquely house/dance clubs. I will see again next time I am there. BTW, Lava is Cosmo / Lava, just another mainstream lounge in midtown...it's still there, linked below. Door 44 used to also be a house club under a different name. They are probably on the top 40 scene now too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.002411&z=19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
When did this turn into the difference between a true hip hop club vs a mainstream club that plays a lot of hip hop? I lived in Atlanta for 10 years I know the difference too. All I said was all of those clubs were featuring hip hop last time I visited Atlanta...they are by no means black clubs or places where real hip hop heads go to hang out. Regardless, Sutra was playing Yung Joc, UGK, Gucci Mane...no Miley Cirus thrown in, and definitely not electronic/house. In Opera it was a set of southern rap top to bottom, complete with posers in VIP overhead making it rain, and that was on a Saturday night. Could have been a special event. Perhaps that is just not the case normally, but I was very surprised and just figured it was a sign of the times that the music scene changed in midtown. Years ago they were all uniquely house/dance clubs. I will see again next time I am there. BTW, Lava is Cosmo / Lava, just another mainstream lounge in midtown...it's still there, linked below. Door 44 used to also be a house club under a different name. They are probably on the top 40 scene now too.

cosmolava - Google Maps

The only time that I know of that Opera had a hip hop night was during the recent BET awards weekend, and that doesn't count. Damn near every club in the city was doing hip hop parties. Even the posh and ultra upscale St. Regis Hotel on W. Paces had a hip hop party that weekend. Im guessing you came to Atlanta during the Bonner Brothers Show or one of the Award Show weekends. And Door 44 is not really a hip hop club, but that is where allot of industry people hang out for some reason.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
miami, probably the best nightlife in the SE let alone the country. Atl in sec. as for third.....i'm guessing its between NO and houston

Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
miami, probably the best nightlife in the SE let alone the country. Atl in sec. as for third.....i'm guessing its between NO and houston
Houston isn't Southeast. It's South Central.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
The only time that I know of that Opera had a hip hop night was during the recent BET awards weekend, and that doesn't count. Damn near every club in the city was doing hip hop parties. Even the posh and ultra upscale St. Regis Hotel on W. Paces had a hip hop party that weekend. Im guessing you came to Atlanta during the Bonner Brothers Show or one of the Award Show weekends. And Door 44 is not really a hip hop club, but that is where allot of industry people hang out for some reason.
Naw bruh, things are changing in midtown. Hot 107.9 broadcasts live at Opera, usually on Thursdays and it's practically every week. That's their "hip hop night" Opera Thursday, Opera, Atlanta, Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Was listening to the radio last night matter fact and couldn't believe 107.9 of all stations (and not V-103) was broadcasting there. I drove past just to make sure I was hearing right and lo and behold were scores of black folks lined up outside of the club and there's not a huge event going on right now.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:18 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,499,643 times
1. Miami
2. Atlanta
3. New Orleans or Houston

Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Lincoln Road Mall

YouTube - Welcome To Miami

Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Ocean Drive

YouTube - Ocean Drive. Miami Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Espanola Way

YouTube - Plaza de Espana, Espanola Way, Miami Beach Florida

Old 11-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The Miami side

YouTube - At bayside downtown miami fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City