Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
You can call it what you wanna but Ill take Houston vs Atlanta over the arrogant threads of NY..

But you must also realize comparable suburban experience exists even in NYC or any more dense city - plus all these cities have to offer

Houston or Atlanta exists just outside of most major cities on the same scale of vibrance - plus the more urban core and just more vibrance

At the end of the day though we have the right to choose where we live - so that is even better

I also find it hard in that you have never been to NYC yet dis-credit it. I personally elect not to comment on places I have not experienced first hand...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM

324 posts, read 659,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I like NY, for what it is. Everyone does not want to live there and some people like other cities more. It appears to me some of the NYC posters have a really hard time with that.

Yeah they are having a hard time with that.....

Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think the negativity is directed more at a couple of individual posters who are exhibiting a painfully high level of arrogance and unpleasantness. There seems to be a general consensus that NYC is the epicenter of the American urban experience.
This. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
as an f train rider, i have never IN MY ENTIRE LIFE seen anybody pee on the f train. ever. i've seen some crazy things but this is definitely not normal.

first off there's nobody in the train car (or the one to the right of it) so i'm assuming that it was very late at night that this guy did that.

second, don't think that somebody couldn't or wouldn't do that anywhere late at night in a city with a subway. its not fair to single out one incident in ny and say that thats the norm.

third, again, as an f train rider (and i get on at parsons which is the third stop from the f train's starting point at 179th st (next stop being 169th st and third stop being parsons blvd) and ride it into manhattan daily. you do not see that at all period. although its been awhile, i have went from parsons to coney island (the last stop on the f train, so thats from queens, through manhattan and into brooklyn) and again i have never seen that before ever.

fourth and the last thing i'ma say on this. the train you linked to in your post, blkspice, is retiring and for the most part has retired on the f line. this is the train you see mostly now:

YouTube - Euclid Avenue Bound R160B F Train At Lower East Side - Second Avenue

i'm convinced that blkspice hasn't been in ny since the 90's if then. either that or this person has been told something and bought into it without seeing it for him/herself.

LOL I was just there in Janurary. The only thing changed was the trains, The stations still smell like pee and plenty of the stations the cielings were caving inn. There is no denying that. I brought that video up to show you how the smells has built up over time in those stations... If you watched Top model this season one of the girls said she didnt wanna get back on the train because it smelt like pee down there....

Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
while stations have a certain smell (all the same smell) thats from being underground.

urine smells completely different. there is no urine smell on the trains or in the stations at all.

nyc trains haven't smelled like urine since they looked like:

and trust me, if you got on them when they looked like that, you'd remember. that was when ny was the ny you're making it out to be in this thread.

Alot of the stations do still smell like that Ive even seen where someone took a dump in the train stations

Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But you must also realize comparable suburban experience exists even in NYC or any more dense city - plus all these cities have to offer

Houston or Atlanta exists just outside of most major cities on the same scale of vibrance - plus the more urban core and just more vibrance

At the end of the day though we have the right to choose where we live - so that is even better

I also find it hard in that you have never been to NYC yet dis-credit it. I personally elect not to comment on places I have not experienced first hand...

UMM when did I say I never been to NYC???? I have been to NYC more than 20 times . Most of the times I stay in Meadowlands and take the bus from Secaucus to port authority and get on the train from there... Because I choose to exclose my experiences to you guys dont mean I have never been. I stay in NJ when I go so that I dont have to be in that clutter and its quiet over there..... The only reason why I am posting because I feel some of the NY posters need to get off there High horses and give these other cities credit... Like SF CHI LA etc NY posters discredit everything thats not NYC

Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
UMM when did I say I never been to NYC???? I have been to NYC more than 20 times . Most of the times I stay in Meadowlands and take the bus from Secaucus to port authority and get on the train from there... Because I choose to exclose my experiences to you guys dont mean I have never been. I stay in NJ when I go so that I dont have to be in that clutter and its quiet over there..... The only reason why I am posting because I feel some of the NY posters need to get off there High horses and give these other cities credit... Like SF CHI LA etc NY posters discredit everything thats not NYC

My apology I thought i read you had been in Atlanta and never been to NYC - my bad

Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My apology I thought i read you had been in Atlanta and never been to NYC - my bad

You alright man apology excepted....

Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
The meadowlands is not new york and you can definently find less clutter through out the boroughs.

As far as a big city feel. Its hard to compete would new york. It would take atlantas downtown(where the scrapers are at) just to compete with the hustle and bustle of the bronx or brooklyn. Nyc is on a whole different scale

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
To those people who don't think you can get a house in NYC with land--guess again. I lived in a house with a backyard, and my Aunt has a decent backyard in western Queens; just 2 miles from midtown Manhattan. She has a porch, a place to BBQ, and 2 gardens. The next door neighbors have ducks in their yard, with a pool.

bayside, ny - Google Maps

whitestone, ny - Google Maps

*gasp* hard to believe this is NYC, right? there's hardly any land

forest hills gardens, ny - Google Maps

City Island in the Bronx:
throgs neck, ny - Google Maps

Love how you can be in NYC, have a house in the boroughs with a yard, and still be a short subway ride from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City