Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times

Advertisements

On paper, they don't sound that similar, but there are similarities. These are both cities that for years were under-the-radar compared to other cities in their state, but have grown at quite a rapid pace and have become forces to be reckoned with. Both have grown into mid-size metros that are quite formidable. Both are southern cities (Orlando, moreso) that are not as "southern" in culture anymore due to the overwhelming number of newcomers over the past decades.

Also, I noticed that both have one mainline interstate running through them with a ton of traffic due to their locations in the middle of the state. Both have toll roads surrounding the cities in order to accommodate the local traffic.

Obviously, there are major differences between the two - It's an understatement to say that Orlando is incredibly popular with tourists . One thing I did notice about Orlando was that I actually liked the city once I got away from the International Drive/US-192 Theme Park strip.

Also, both have proximity to nearby cities. Orlando is about 70 miles from Tampa, Austin is about 80 miles from San Antonio. Both are about 3-4 hours from the major metro areas (+5 Million) in their state. I do like Orlando's proximity to the ocean.

I'm judging in terms of:

Cost of Living

Economy I think I'll have to give the edge to Austin on this one. The job market in Orlando has almost always had a glut of low-paying service jobs in the hospitality industry for obvious reasons. There are other segments of the economy in O-town though.

Education I know, Austin is home to the flagship of the University of Texas system, so this isn't really a fair comparison. UCF in Orlando is often dismissed as a glorified commuter school, but I have heard good things about their programs.

Clubs/Music Austin is known for its live music. Orlando has a decent club scene

Culture

Sports Orlando has the Magic as a professional team. I doubt an NFL team would come there any time soon because the Buccaneers, Dolphins, and the Jaguars are all in relatively close proximity in the surrounding cities.Lots of spring training throughout Florida if you're into baseball. Austin wins on college sports. The Spurs are the nearest pro-team, and of course, America's Team is right up the road :;

Shopping I do find that Orlando has decent shopping due to the huge tourist market there

Transportation

Restaurants A lot of chain restaurants got their start in Orlando. If anything, it's a great test market for that type of venture. That's how General Mills started the Olive Garden. The nicer restaurants tend to be in hotels there. I don't know enough about Austin to really judge their scene.

Weather

Your thoughts? I know there are huge differences between the two, but I've always thought they had their similarities in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
I don't think there is anything in common with the two at all.

I do find it rather fascinating though that you mention UTexas but fail to mention that Austin is also the Capital of Texas.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
I'm judging in terms of:

Cost of Living
Neither is very expensive. They are both OK.

Shopping

The Mall of Millenia and The Orlando Premium Outlets make Orlando one of the best shopping destinations. It is still no Miami but it is getting there. Austin isn't too bad in this department either. It has the newly built The Domain with many high end brands. Austin is already ahead in shopping over some larger metro areas.

Transportation

Neither one has rail transportation so I wouldn't take public transportation in either city. As for driving, I think Orlando's highway system is better built than Austin. Austin's highway is really lacking for the size it is becoming of. It wasn't planned to be a big city, whereas Orlando constantly has so many tourists for quite some time so its infrastructure is quite ahead.

Restaurants

I had better experiences in Orlando than in Austin, but I haven't tried everywhere so I am not sure. Austin's Asian food selection is not very good. The choices are limited and most of them are quite Americanized.

Weather

I like Orlando's whether a little bit more because I think Austin is hotter in summer. Also Austin has many unpaved driveways. The color of them make me feel even more heat.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I'm judging in terms of:

Cost of Living
Neither is very expensive. They are both OK.

Shopping

The Mall of Millenia and The Orlando Premium Outlets make Orlando one of the best shopping destinations. It is still no Miami but it is getting there. Austin isn't too bad in this department either. It has the newly built The Domain with many high end brands. Austin is already ahead in shopping over some larger metro areas.

Transportation

Neither one has rail transportation so I wouldn't take public transportation in either city. As for driving, I think Orlando's highway system is better built than Austin. Austin's highway is really lacking for the size it is becoming of. It wasn't planned to be a big city, whereas Orlando constantly has so many tourists for quite some time so its infrastructure is quite ahead.

Restaurants

I had better experiences in Orlando than in Austin, but I haven't tried everywhere so I am not sure. Austin's Asian food selection is not very good. The choices are limited and most of them are quite Americanized.

Weather

I like Orlando's whether a little bit more because I think Austin is hotter in summer. Also Austin has many unpaved driveways. The color of them make me feel even more heat.
Austin has a small light-rail line.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I don't think there is anything in common with the two at all.

I do find it rather fascinating though that you mention UTexas but fail to mention that Austin is also the Capital of Texas.

Whoops. Blame it on me being half-sleep when I wrote this last night.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
Metrorail? That is commuter rail. I usually don't count commuter rail for mass transit because they are not meant to be used to navigate around the city. LA is still considered a city with bad public transportation even though 8 or 9 commuter rails pass it. These commuter rails, with their limited schedule focus and small number of stations, really don't contribute much for someone in the city trying to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post

Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
It's not really a light-rail. It's more of a commuter rail. For some reason, I thought Orlando had a small monorail system OUTSIDE of the theme parks. I guess if nothing else, the theme parks are very walkable with a good public transportation system from what I remember.

Austin also have bus system but I've heard it kind of sucks. I can't speak from experience, but I know a lot of UT students who use the bus systems.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's not really a light-rail. It's more of a commuter rail. For some reason, I thought Orlando had a small monorail system OUTSIDE of the theme parks. I guess if nothing else, the theme parks are very walkable with a good public transportation system from what I remember.

Austin also have bus system but I've heard it kind of sucks. I can't speak from experience, but I know a lot of UT students who use the bus systems.
nope. Orlando just has a bus system outside of the theme parks. A commuter rail system is in the works right now though, and will start running in 2012. and that will connect to the first High speed rail project in the US that will connect Orlando to Tampa by 2014 and connect Orlando to Miami some time after that.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Nope, it's a commuter rail that basically takes people to and from one of the suburbs and (from what my Austin friends tell me) is basically useless for everyone else. Not the same thing as the light rail systems in the cities in Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

The bus system is OK (actually good) in the central parts of the city. Problem is that many people (and most private employers) aren't in the central parts of the city. Many of the suburbs have "opted out" of the Capitol Metro transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City