Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times

Advertisements

Here are some shots of both downtowns:
Columbus
http://savmasymposium2009.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/skyline.jpg (broken link)

OKC

And my one negative about Columbus is the downtown area.. It has the potential to be a lot better, but it really feels small in comparison to the city. I know it's still growing and new buildings are popping up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Default Oh I Wasn't Aware Of The Prominent African American Community.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People are forgetting that Columbus is in the top 20 for city population in the US and it is still a very livable city at that with some very good schools within city limits. It has Ohio State, is the state capital, Nationwide Insurance and is the headquarters for other companies. So, Columbus is continuing to grow in a way that many cities, regardless of region, are growing. Like others said, it wasn't truly a Rust Belt city and has always been more of a service based economy city.

Also, it is a city where Blacks are influential, in spite of being about 25% of the city's population. That is rare to find a city that isn't predominately Black and Blacks still have a highly positive influence on the city. I think for that alone, Columbus should get some "love".
Oh I wasn't aware of the prominent African American Community
out there in Columbus Ohio ,however your decision on what city
you choose depends on 'your' "age"....and what you want out of
life.I made a statement eariler saying it was Columbus 1St Tulsa 2Nd
and OKC 3Rd well that was under the Condictions of me being in
my 20's somethings or at the most 30's and not having any Relatives
in either of the (3) cities.....That's not the case I'm a 57 years YOUNG
African American Male who's does 57 push up's every morning to
Celebrate my 57 years of LIFE and if someone was pointing a GUN
at my HEAD making me choose A CITY I would "hands DOWN" choose
TULSA because there is CLEAN AIR & environment northwest of the city..
I've been LIVING IN A ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER ZONE KNOWN AS CALI
and I have to BALANCE out the 2Nd Half Of My LIFE with a CLEAN ENVIR..
and be around my BLOOD RELATIVES..Vast Majority In TULSA some in OKC
Which is separated from Tulsa by the 85 Mile Long Turner Turnpike.....
Now That Wouldn't Apply To Anybody Else But Me....Oh By The Way Take
A Look At These URBAN SKYLINE THREADS They Will Blow Your Socks OFF!!!

TULSA OKLAHOMA METROPOLITAN AREA
- City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art

OKLAHOMA CITY METROPOLITAN AREA
Oklahoma City Oklahoma - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art

COLUMBUS OHIO METROPOLITAN AREA
Columbus Ohio - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art

Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 PM

Default WeSoHood I'm Giving You The Secrets To Win This Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Here are some shots of both downtowns:
Columbus

OKC

And my one negative about Columbus is the downtown area.. It has the potential to be a lot better, but it really feels small in comparison to the city. I know it's still growing and new buildings are popping up though.
The only thing that you have to do is say that Columbus was
the top Honorable Mention World Class City in the 2008 Ranking
and is probably a Gamma World Class City As We Speak. Here is
the Link to back it up......and Oklahoma City didn't make the
Ranking however Tulsa did in a lower tier........

LINK Columbus Ohio Honorable Mention World Class City
GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
OKC..... Columbus is ok for now, but in the future the Sun Belt is going to have better prospects than the Rust Belt will....
Considering the fact that little ol Columbus is growing nicely, is attracting large business, etc, is testament to the fact that areas of the Rust Belt are beginning to turn around. And unlike the Sun Belt (s/b called the sweat belt), there are not tens of thousands of homes for sale, and people arent watching their home values depreciate by 30-50% like is common in the Sweat Belt. The Sweat Belt is attracting bogus jobs, I dont see lots of Fortune 500 companies flocking to places like Amarillo or Lafayette or Memphis, etc. THe only Sun Belt state that seems to be growing correctly is Texas, the rest are absolutely unimpressive.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:15 AM

Default I Would Say Texas Arizona New Mexico and Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Considering the fact that little ol Columbus is growing nicely, is attracting large business, etc, is testament to the fact that areas of the Rust Belt are beginning to turn around. And unlike the Sun Belt (s/b called the sweat belt), there are not tens of thousands of homes for sale, and people arent watching their home values depreciate by 30-50% like is common in the Sweat Belt. The Sweat Belt is attracting bogus jobs, I dont see lots of Fortune 500 companies flocking to places like Amarillo or Lafayette or Memphis, etc. THe only Sun Belt state that seems to be growing correctly is Texas, the rest are absolutely unimpressive.
I'm not buying this for a CHICAGO Second.....Arizona Texas New Mexico
and especially Oklahoma...Oklahoma City recently was America Third
Strongest Metro Economy and Tulsa Oklahoma was America Seventh
Strongest Economy...go figure will ya........

Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Employment and Economic Muscle - BusinessWeek

Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
No, but they're flocking to places like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Fortune 500 Corp's Are Vital And Important But...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
No, but they're flocking to places like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta.
Fortune 500 corp's are vital and important to a Metro local
economy and to that economy well being , but it's the 'small'
businesses that employ the vast 'majority' of citizens in any
Metropolitan Area....Not The Fortune 500's , so you can have a
Lot Of Fortune 500's and still have a VERY HIGH UMEPLOYMENT LEVEL.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Considering the fact that little ol Columbus is growing nicely, is attracting large business, etc, is testament to the fact that areas of the Rust Belt are beginning to turn around.
Columbus's economy wasn't built heavily on manufacturing like other cities in the Rust Belt, so I'm not sure if it's the best example to hold up here. Pittsburgh is a much better example of a true Rust Belt city that's experiencing a resurgence.

Quote:
The Sweat Belt is attracting bogus jobs
What "bogus jobs"? If you're talking about construction, Florida, Phoenix, and Vegas have already paid the price for that. Finance, biotech/high tech, energy, etc. are far from being "bogus jobs" and the Sun Belt has them aplenty.

Quote:
I dont see lots of Fortune 500 companies flocking to places like Amarillo or Lafayette or Memphis, etc.
And I don't see them flocking to Toledo, Flint, and Cleveland either. See, we can both cherry pick cities to make a point rather stupidly. How about mentioning Raleigh, Nashville, and Dallas?

Quote:
The only Sun Belt state that seems to be growing correctly is Texas, the rest are absolutely unimpressive.
"Growing correctly"? Not sure exactly what that's supposed to mean, but it would be a property more so of metro areas as opposed to states; Texas just happens to have the majority of its metro areas experiencing the most stability in the midst of this global recession. The rest don't have to be impressive to you; only to industry and businesses.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Looking at the most current statistics it appears that Oklahoma is the better choice. It's economy is still fairly strong and it has a great upside for future growth. The weather, however, can be a bit sketchy at times. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Columbus's economy wasn't built heavily on manufacturing like other cities in the Rust Belt, so I'm not sure if it's the best example to hold up here.
It's not. Columbus is not a rust belt city--and it never has been. The economies of cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit are based much more significantly on manufacturing and industry than Columbus's is.

Columbus actually compares much more favorably with sun belt cities than ones in the rust belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City