Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times

Advertisements

• Utah: 69.2
  • Hawaii: 68.2
  • Wyoming: 68
  • Colorado: 67.3
  • Minnesota: 67.3
  • Maryland: 67.1
  • Washington: 67.1
  • Massachusetts: 67
  • California: 67
  • Arizona: 66.8
Happiest States are Wealthy and Tolerant | LiveScience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
  • Utah: 69.2
  • Hawaii: 68.2
  • Wyoming: 68
  • Colorado: 67.3
  • Minnesota: 67.3
  • Maryland: 67.1
  • Washington: 67.1
  • Massachusetts: 67
  • California: 67
  • Arizona: 66.8
Happiest States are Wealthy and Tolerant | LiveScience

Maryland!?! lol That definitely can't be right. Everyone here is perpetually pissed off.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Utah is #1 LOL
It is also one of the states with the highest rates of anti-depressant usage and prescription drug abuse.
I also wouldn't call it the most tolerant state either...

Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
I'm surprised at Maryland too. Everytime I've been there, people seemed miserable! Now I'm not dissing MD because this is how people are in my home state as well, but among the happiest? I don't think I'd agree.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Doesnt Washington state have the highest suicide rate in the nation (or so Ive heard)? Sounds real happy to me!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Doesnt Washington state have the highest suicide rate in the nation (or so Ive heard)? Sounds real happy to me!
Agreed. I would think the suicide rate would be a more accurate reflection of who is happy and who isn't. Way to go Steve!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
It goes by "overall evaluation of their lives, emotional health, physical health, healthy behaviors (such as whether a person smokes or exercises), and job satisfaction."

Utah should be high on that as its unemployment is relatively low and Mormons aren't supposed to smoke. Not that all Mormons obey that, or that Utah is all Mormon, but I think observant Mormons are a significant portion of Utah. Also I think they might get "active lifestyle" types who prefer skiing and hiking to smoking.

Maryland is maybe a puzzler on this as I don't think its economy is that great. Its rate of "everyday smokers" is said to be below average, but not radically so. Its rate of "overweight plus obese" is also "below average but not radically so."

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Agreed. I would think the suicide rate would be a more accurate reflection of who is happy and who isn't. Way to go Steve!
I think it should be a main factor, but I don't know if it should be the whole thing. There is a high level of "happiness inequality" in some places. So let's say 90% of people are happy and 10% are very unhappy. That place might be more suicidal than a place that's only 50% happy, but I don't know if it's fair to say that makes it unhappier.

Also religion and marital status play a role. Many religions emphasize a strong hostility to suicide and religious taboos really can effect behavior. In a state like Washington irreligion and non-traditional religion is much more common than most places. Also if you're married, even not entirely happily married, there is someone with you much of the day to assure that a suicidal desire does not become a suicidal action. This can also be true if you have kids and some parents feel an extra-motivation not to suicide. A single person has a "rough patch" and considers suicide there may not be anyone there to stop it from becoming an action. (I personally think the image of single people as unhappy is false, but I think it is true there's a bit more instability in being single. A greater chance of "flying and falling" so to speak. I am single and I'm happy, but the risk of instability I'd say exists even in my life) Washington I believe has a good deal of never-married or childless people.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:38 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
I'm sure those states have many happy people due to the recreational as well as the employment opportunties and the generally higher incomes. However, most of that kind of happiness IMO is surficial; I'm not so sure I would readily count an environment as producing happiness. It certainly helps but that really isn't all of the picture. So this conclusion from this research is not the total picture.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
It most certainly doesn't. It's not even in the top 20. Kurt Cobain offed himself 15 years ago, that must be why you think that, right? Moderator cut: No need to get personal

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/43026

Last edited by houstoner; 11-11-2009 at 04:51 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It most certainly doesn't. It's not even in the top 20. Kurt Cobain offed himself 15 years ago, that must be why you think that, right? Moderator cut: orphaned comment

Suicide rates by state | ScrippsNews
He might have thought of Washington because Tacoma has been said to have a high suicide rate. Look up "stressful cities", but not Forbes list, and you might see what I mean.

Moderator cut: Linking to competitor sites is not allowed.

Interestingly the list of suicide rates you link to places Wyoming as the highest and Wyoming is also higher on the top ten "happiest" list than Washington. (Although it's not really about happiness but overall well-being)

Last edited by houstoner; 11-11-2009 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City