Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 19,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And in summary, that is why this city is seen as less than relevant. Overall, it's a pit.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 19,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Overall, you seem ridiculously ignorant. Same goes to you TheRover.

Philadelphia is far from perfect. North Philadelphia is a very rough area, but the good areas of Philadelphia far outweigh the bad.

Don't feel too bad for Philadelpia. It's still got some of the most beautiful streetscapes in the country.
Philly is a pit...which is why it is bypassed.
You don't hear about Philly in the news...you hear about NY, DC, and Boston.
Those are were the tourists go...those are were the jobs are...those are were east coast real estate is highest.

Philly is a big Bawlmer which is a big Bridgeport.

If this is some of the best streetscapes in the country, no wonder the country has a healthcare system worse than Costa Rica and an economy in the hole.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
center city is fantastic, but how about the rest of Philly? what are the other really nice nabes outside of center city? do you have pictures of those?
What big city doesn't have its gritty neighborhoods? I get a laugh out of these Philly is a pit posts. Check out Tmac's pics. Yeah, what a pit.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
You beat me to it. Philadelphia is a major and important American city, with the best "grinder" -- provolone and prosciutto -- that I've ever tasted in my life.

But the NJ Turkpike totally bypasses Philly when you're en route from NY to DC/Baltimore.

Does anyone know the exact reason why I-95 was not continuously extended up the East Coast? It stops north of Philly. If you're going between DC and NY, you have to take the Turnpike for continuous road travel.
This is an interesting theory about Philly being out of mind somewhat because the interstate bypasses it. It's not entirely true that I-95 is not continuous. Officially this is true, but 95 is routed through the New Jersey Turnpike.

Interstate 95 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jersey Pike pre-dates the interstate system. I'm guessing that this explains the bypassing of Philly. Most likely, it was convenient to use an existing road for the interstate, and that road did not happen to go through Philly.

New Jersey Turnpike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcastle View Post
Those are were the tourists go...those are were the jobs are...those are were east coast real estate is highest.

If this is some of the best streetscapes in the country, no wonder the country has a healthcare system worse than Costa Rica and an economy in the hole.
Wow, well you can certainly be added to the list of ignorant posters...I see you've already been banned for this reason, but I'll answer your ridiculous post anyway since I'm sure you'll pop up as another user within due time.

First off...you criticized Philly's streetscapes...did you even look at the pictures? Neighborhoods like Society Hill, Old City, parts of University City, and parts of West Philly can hang with some of the best neighborhoods in New York, Boston, DC, San Francisco, and Chicago. I think we all agree that the five cities I mentioned are home to the best urban neighborhoods in the nation. I mean seriously, it doesn't get much better than this for urban neighborhoods:

No jobs in Philly? They've got the same unemployment rate as Boston, and a lower unemployment rate than New York City. Philadelphia's economy may be the smallest out of the major cities in the BoWash Corridor, but it's no slouch by any means...

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.434 Trillion
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metro Area $81,389
Kingston, NY Metro Area $4,679
New Haven-Milford, CT Metro Area $37,643
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area $1,264,896
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metro Area $21,029
Torrington, CT Micro Area
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metro Area $24,458

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $866.095 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area $717,884
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area $35,080
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area $113,080

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $133,012
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $395,747
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,783

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $520,672
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,094
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,336

5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,434
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $310,825
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $146,687
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,903
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $20,229
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $13,340

6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area $299,590
Concord, NH Micro Area
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metro Area $20,782
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA Metro Area $65,152
Worcester, MA Metro Area $28,406

7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area $403,202

8. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $383.082 Billion
Athens, TX Micro Area
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area $379,863
Sherman-Denison, TX Metro Area $3,219

9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $331,897
Reading, PA Metro Area $14,838
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4,945

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $276.197 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area $269,799
Gainesville, GA Metro Area $6,398

You say the United States has a worse healthcare system than Costa Rica in what seems to be a negative manner...however Costa Rica is home to some of the finest medical facilities and best doctors in the world...they've got the third highest life-expectancy on the planet.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wow, well you can certainly be added to the list of ignorant posters...I see you've already been banned for this reason, but I'll answer your ridiculous post anyway since I'm sure you'll pop up as another user within due time.
Notice how the posters who just fling baseless insults about any given city on this board tend to ignore things that reflect reality like, say, actual statistics and facts. It's the very reason why hearsay continues to circulate among the intellectually lazy.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-17-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
All the time I here people say that Philadelphia is a big, important city, yet everyone says the "main" and most important cities of the corridor are DC, New York and Boston. I'm confused. Is Philadelphia one of the main cities of the corridor or is it like Baltimore, Hartford and Providence?
Having just seen "2012" you'd have to think the ones destroyed first in a movie are most important. After all, you want to evoke a horrified reaction in a movie goer when they get hit with tidal waves, earthquakes, massive fires and the core of the earth turning into hot molten lava. That leaves out Philly, Baltimore, Providence, Hartford AND Boston.

Then again, the movie people think Los Angeles is important...

Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I love Philly. It may be overlooked, but it is still definitely one of the best cities in the country.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Having just seen "2012" you'd have to think the ones destroyed first in a movie are most important. After all, you want to evoke a horrified reaction in a movie goer when they get hit with tidal waves, earthquakes, massive fires and the core of the earth turning into hot molten lava. That leaves out Philly, Baltimore, Providence, Hartford AND Boston.

Then again, the movie people think Los Angeles is important...
That's by far the most perfect scientific method of determining city importance I've ever even dreamed of

Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 15,660 times
New York and Philadelphia, in that order, were America's first capitals before Washington was built (that town was built SPECIFICALLY to be the capital).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcastle View Post

Please. New York is the most overrated city on Earth, aside for possibly London, Rome and Paris, but I've never been to any of them so I wouldn't know. You hear about New York in the news because it's where basically all of the major news centers are located, but if you actually watched the news here there's nothing but murders, robberies and white-collar crime, and the cost of real estate out here should be a crime (the average rent in Manhattan was over a billion dollars a few years ago, don't know how that's changed recently. $500,000 for a one bedroom "condo," which is basically just an apartment but maybe a bit fancier), but it happens because of New York's "hip" status. Finding a job is like trying to swim uphill because most of the jobs are taken, the competition is extreme and prospective employers are shallow and LOVE to play mind games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City