Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better scenery?
Los Angeles 263 75.79%
Chicago 84 24.21%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times

Advertisements

On the street level I think Chicago can be pretty scenic with all the trees and vegetation, at least during summer when I visited. The parks are really nice and well kept too, especially compared to LA. Yes LA has more dramatic and stunning scenery with the mountains, canyons, ocean, etc.. but only parts of it are green and have nice landscaping. While all of Chicago seemed to have lots of trees and nice parks and even the sides of the freeways seems more nicely landscaped. I just really like how green and lush areas east of the Mississippi River are in summer. On the street level I think Chicago can be just as scenic and even more scenic than LA. But once you get above that and the view from a 2nd story or hill/mountain is gonna be better in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
The "lushness" quotient certainly increases the further east you go, as most northeastern states are well lubricated with rain and snow. On of the first things a visitor notices while traveling through the western states is the overall "parched" condition of many areas, as though the dominant color of the entire region is "brown", and not "green".

In general, LA would probably win this comparison, but don't underestimate Chicago's beauty. The view of Lake Michigan from the shoreline is fantastic.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
The northeast region of America is the most beautiful during the "fall" season. It literally looks like a Norman Rockell painting. It's extremely wooded, unlike a lot of the midwest. A few miles outside of Chicago, and it looks like the prarie. Illinois is not a very attractive state. Sure they're parts around Chicago that are, but overall, it's very boring and unappealing looking.
Well, wander down to the "Little Egypt" part of the state sometime! The Shawnee National Forest is gorgeous. I was just down that way 2 weeks ago. Very scenic, not at all kie the reest of the "Prairie State"! Also check out the NW tip of the state around Galena. Heavily wooded and hilly terrain.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The "lushness" quotient certainly increases the further east you go, as most northeastern states are well lubricated with rain and snow. On of the first things a visitor notices while traveling through the western states is the overall "parched" condition of many areas, as though the dominant color of the entire region is "brown", and not "green".

In general, LA would probably win this comparison, but don't underestimate Chicago's beauty. The view of Lake Michigan from the shoreline is fantastic.
It doesn't get more lush than Western Washington state. Not as many deciduous trees, though.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I've driven all thru the state of Illinois, in all different directions. Illinois, along with most of the midwest can't compare with the northeast. Drive thru the "turnpike" in Pa. or interstate 80. Go up into the New England states also, extremely wooded!

Trying to compare Illinois with PA in tree's, is an arguement you won't win. Pa. is heavily forested from one end to the other. Compared with the midwest states that only have 'pocketed' areas.
What you write is true but people from California who visit Chicago during fall all come back praising the beautiful fall foliage.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM

804 posts, read 2,393,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
On the street level I think Chicago can be pretty scenic with all the trees and vegetation, at least during summer when I visited. The parks are really nice and well kept too, especially compared to LA. Yes LA has more dramatic and stunning scenery with the mountains, canyons, ocean, etc.. but only parts of it are green and have nice landscaping. While all of Chicago seemed to have lots of trees and nice parks and even the sides of the freeways seems more nicely landscaped. I just really like how green and lush areas east of the Mississippi River are in summer. On the street level I think Chicago can be just as scenic and even more scenic than LA. But once you get above that and the view from a 2nd story or hill/mountain is gonna be better in LA.

we have parks, it's just that there more hiking oriented and nature friendly unlike compared to a urban concert park in chicago.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Oh come on is this conjecture? Have you actually been to the west to atcually know what your saying?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:29 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
we have parks, it's just that there more hiking oriented and nature friendly unlike compared to a urban concert park in chicago.
I'm talking about how lush and green the parks are there. Here everything is irrigated and unless it's winter there will be brown spots and the grass is not as green or well kept. It's something I immediately noticed about Chicago and NYC over the summer. But yes LA does have an advantage with the surrounding mountains and canyons. It's just different but I felt people weren't giving Chicago the credit it deserved b/c I was very impressed with it's park and scenery at the street level. But once you get a view from up high there really isn't anything that impressive except the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Oh come on is this conjecture? Have you actually been to the west to atcually know what your saying?
Conversely, have you ever been out east during spring or summer? I gotta agree, the west is more brown than it is green, especially compared to areas east of the Mississippi River. The east coast doesn't go months w/o rain, CA does and that is why it's not as green or lush. Not saying it's better or worse it's just the way it is.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM

[quote=sav858;11695162]I'm talking about how lush and green the parks are there. Here everything is irrigated and unless it's winter there will be brown spots and the grass is not as green or well kept. It's something I immediately noticed about Chicago and NYC over the summer. But yes LA does have an advantage with the surrounding mountains and canyons. It's just different but I felt people weren't giving Chicago the credit it deserved b/c I was very impressed with it's park and scenery at the street level. But once you get a view from up high there really isn't anything that impressive except the lake.[quote]

Oh I understand, and of course I've never been to Chicago so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Conversely, have you ever been out east during spring or summer? I gotta agree, the west is more brown than it is green, especially compared to areas east of the Mississippi River. The east coast doesn't go months w/o rain, CA does and that is why it's not as green or lush. Not saying it's better or worse it's just the way it is.

granted, I never been so I guess your right.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm talking about how lush and green the parks are there. Here everything is irrigated and unless it's winter there will be brown spots and the grass is not as green or well kept. It's something I immediately noticed about Chicago and NYC over the summer. But yes LA does have an advantage with the surrounding mountains and canyons. It's just different but I felt people weren't giving Chicago the credit it deserved b/c I was very impressed with it's park and scenery at the street level. But once you get a view from up high there really isn't anything that impressive except the lake.

Right. Entirely different climates. California is much drier & sunnier than the Midwest of East coast. Once winter ends the hills become brown and only native trees\ chaparral will grow thru the long dry season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City