Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:43 AM

254 posts, read 693,564 times

Advertisements

All these most important threads got me thinking that we need to start being creative. I don't think this one has been done, but if you were to remove the main central city of the metro area, which metro's area suburbs would be the most important to the country. (For example New York metro without NYC proper, LA metro without LA proper etc).

I understand the city/metro relationship is completly intertwined, but this thread will take some thinking to establish what makes the one area's suburbs more important than the other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 AM

321 posts, read 720,711 times
easy-
NY
DC
Boston
LA
SanFran

Old 11-14-2009, 01:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
easy-
NY
DC
Boston
LA
SanFran
I'd say that San Jose's suburbs are more important than San Francisco's. Though, I can imagine that they fight over who the suburbs really belong to. If I assume that San Mateo County is SF's burbs and all of Santa Clara is San Jose's burbs, then San Jose wins with Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino, Campbell, Los Gatos, Santa Clara, Los Altos, etc. all in its county. San Mateo County has some great and important burbs too but they don't hold a candle to the importance of San Jose's. There's just too many important companies operating out of San Jose's immediate burbs.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 AM

321 posts, read 720,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd say that San Jose's suburbs are more important than San Francisco's. Though, I can imagine that they fight over who the suburbs really belong to. If I assume that San Mateo County is SF's burbs and all of Santa Clara is San Jose's burbs, then San Jose wins with Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Cupertino, Campbell, Los Gatos, Santa Clara, Los Altos, etc. all in its county. San Mateo County has some great and important burbs too but they don't hold a candle to the importance of San Jose's. There's just too many important companies operating out of San Jose's immediate burbs.

I would totally agree other than I thought of SanFran to San Jose as one CSA and counted Silicon Valley in that...

Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 AM

254 posts, read 693,564 times
For argument's sake, I'm going to say that San Francisco is the central city in the Bay Area. I don't want to get too technical and have this thread hijacked about the specifics of is SF or SJ the central city and which city gets what suburbs etc.......

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
All these most important threads got me thinking that we need to start being creative. I don't think this one has been done, but if you were to remove the main central city of the metro area, which metro's area suburbs would be the most important to the country. (For example New York metro without NYC proper, LA metro without LA proper etc).

I understand the city/metro relationship is completly intertwined, but this thread will take some thinking to establish what makes the one area's suburbs more important than the other...
I can tell you point blank that without NYC, Long Island would be mostly rural and isolated by water. We know this because this was the way Long Island was for several centuries before the suburbs came. Other NYC suburbs like New Jersey, Connecticut, Hudson Valley etc. had their own older cities & industry, long before NYC suburbia.

This was not the case for Long Island except for isolated pockets like near the steamboat docks in Glen Cove. It simply made no sense to put a factory on a island when it was still so much easier to be on the mainland. Most of the Island was fishing villages/whaling ports on the shore and farms/forests in the interior.

With a dozen or more rail, subway and highway connections right now, a rural Long Island without NYC would probably be lucky to have 3 or 4 connections. Much of Long Island would probably look like Nantucket, Cape Cod or Block Island, indeed part of it still does. The geography and history is actually pretty similar, all are part of the Outer Lands.

Also without NYC, a rural Long Island would still be one of the biggest seafood producers in the country, like it used to be. Now the catch, like Striped Bass, clams, oysters (hopefully), is modest but slowly coming back. Lobsters in the Sound are still a problem. There is supposed to be a good scallop catch this year.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I can tell you point blank that without NYC, Long Island would be mostly rural and isolated by water. We know this because this was the way Long Island was for several centuries before the suburbs came. Other NYC suburbs like New Jersey, Connecticut, Hudson Valley etc. had their own older cities & industry, long before NYC suburbia.

This was not the case for Long Island except for isolated pockets like near the steamboat docks in Glen Cove. It simply made no sense to put a factory on a island when it was still so much easier to be on the mainland. Most of the Island was fishing villages/whaling ports on the shore and farms/forests in the interior.

With a dozen or more rail, subway and highway connections right now, a rural Long Island without NYC would probably be lucky to have 3 or 4 connections. Much of Long Island would probably look like Nantucket, Cape Cod or Block Island, indeed part of it still does. The geography and history is actually pretty similar, all are part of the Outer Lands.

Also without NYC, a rural Long Island would still be one of the biggest seafood producers in the country, like it used to be. Now the catch, like Striped Bass, clams, oysters (hopefully), is modest but slowly coming back. Lobsters in the Sound are still a problem. There is supposed to be a good scallop catch this year.
Without NYC, Stamford, White Plains and northern NJ would still be a force to be reckoned with IMO.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:44 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Without NYC, Stamford, White Plains and northern NJ would still be a force to be reckoned with IMO.
Yeah, I think so too. Especially northern New Jersery. Patterson, for instance, started developing industry not long after the Revolution. Elizabeth, Perth Amboy, New Brunswick, Newark, etc are also very old cities.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
DC immediately comes to mind for me, with all of the federal contractors and agencies in the surrounding counties, and Tysons Corner, I believe, is the largest business district in the nation outside of a central city.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Seattle's suburb of Redmond comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City