Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Especially if it involves Atlanta..........
There you go again with the Atlanta comments...who told you I lived in Atlanta? I guess it's the only lame attempts you can make at me, so you keep going there. You don't know where I live, so stop acting like you do. You have just spent several pages arguing about something no one else really cares about. It's called "hijacking a thread".

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-16-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Hmm, OK, definitely not wading through 27 pages of this thread. But, in what is perhaps a helpless attempt to respond to the original poster's question, I'll proffer Washington, DC as a city that can offer what no other U.S. city can.

I still vividly recall the first time I ever saw the DC area firsthand. It was about 10 years ago, and I was heading out there for a business related function. I was driving from Ohio, and for some reason--I'm still not entirely certain how--I ended up on the south side of the city, in Alexandria, heading up the GW Parkway to the 14th Street bridge. I remember coming around a curve near National Airport, and suddenly all of DC just appeared in front of me: the Washington Monument, the Capitol Dome, the Jefferson Memorial, all lit up at night, with their images reflected in the water of the Potomac. It was truly awe-inspiring, and I've never forgotten it. That's a view you can't get anywhere else.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
San Fran's abundance of detached Victorians in the city.

Cosign Atlanta and its concentration of African American culture, history, and educational institutions. Maybe DC can compare, but I don't think it's as historically prominent.

And worldwanderer, I feel a lot of what you're saying about NYC, but no need to bash other cities in the process. Atlanta certainly has a lot to offer and tons of midwesterners and northerners move down here for more than just lower cost of living (see the above paragraph, for example).

Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Cleveland is unique for watching water burn.
The Cuyahoga river caught on fire once.
Thankfully that river has been cleaned up.
But it was something that made Cleveland famous for what no other city had. A river on fire.
You could roast your weiner over water.
And with some stadium mustard it wasn't bad.
Actually, this doesn't make Cleveland unique.

From this NPR article: Ohio's Burning River In Better Health 40 Years Later : NPR
Quote:
Never mind that in the middle of the 20th century, rivers in industrial cities across the country caught on fire all the time.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Cosign Atlanta and its concentration of African American culture, history, and educational institutions. Maybe DC can compare, but I don't think it's as historically prominent.
I'd put Atlanta and DC as 1 and 2, respectively in terms of A-A history and cultural influence--and it's a very close race. Particularly in the period post-Civil War up through the 1960s, DC was a significant center for A-A culture and society.

I recently finished up a report I was working on for a local community commission documenting the history of theaters and the performing arts in central DC, and the A-A influence is simply astounding. Even today, strolling around U Street, 14th or 7th streets, it's incredible what took place here.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'd put Atlanta and DC as 1 and 2, respectively in terms of A-A history and cultural influence--and it's a very close race. Particularly in the period post-Civil War up through the 1960s, DC was a significant center for A-A culture and society.

I recently finished up a report I was working on for a local community commission documenting the history of theaters and the performing arts in central DC, and the A-A influence is simply astounding. Even today, strolling around U Street, 14th or 7th streets, it's incredible what took place here.
Auburn Avenue (Sweet Auburn) in Atlanta is a historically black area that was known as "the richest negro street in the world" back in the early 1900s. Since just after the Civil War, Atlanta has had a fairly large affluent black community - in contrast to the poverty blacks experienced in much of the rest of the South. Auburn Avenue was home to many black-owned nightclubs and also to Atlanta Life Insurance Co, owned by Alonzo Herndon - Atlanta's first black millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City