Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Dude, get out more. Seattle (metro) is twice the size of the Pixlie City. Don't get me wrong, Portland is a great place.

And spare me the coffee history lesson. Starbucks and Stewart Brothers were an important part of the expansion of the coffee culture in Seattle. They get credit for that. However, neither are considered by serious coffee hounds as places they'd be caught dead in now.

The Vivace's, Cafe Vita's, Ladro, Vitorola,Diva, etc...those are the real espresso houses that matter.

Portland is a Seattle wanna be. Always has been.

Now Portland's microbrew scene, that's another story.
Very true. Starbucks is overrated and I'm tiered of seeing them pop up in Texas. Downtown Austin is littered with them and it makes me sick.

Speaking of Austin, how about the music festivals in Austin for something no other city offers? I know other cities have music festivals, but no one comes close to Austin. I would say SXSW and Austin City Limits (the TV show) alone are two things that no other city can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,258 times
Quote:
Dude, get out more. Seattle (metro) is twice the size of the Pixlie City. Don't get me wrong, Portland is a great place.

And spare me the coffee history lesson. Starbucks and Stewart Brothers were an important part of the expansion of the coffee culture in Seattle. They get credit for that. However, neither are considered by serious coffee hounds as places they'd be caught dead in now.

The Vivace's, Cafe Vita's, Ladro, Vitorola,Diva, etc...those are the real espresso houses that matter.

Portland is a Seattle wanna be. Always has been.

Now Portland's microbrew scene, that's another story.
It seems Seattle posters always want to go down this route. Not happening.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:42 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,263,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Very true. Starbucks is overrated and I'm tiered of seeing them pop up in Texas. Downtown Austin is littered with them and it makes me sick..
Love Austin. I mean I really love Austin.

Back in the early 90's, hopelessly addicted to espresso, travelling 3 weeks a month...was hell. I spent 2 of those 3 weeks in TX, often seeing Austin.

Finding espresso was a beatch. Nevermind finding great espresso.

Ahhhh, but Austin was an oasis (no pun intended, the locals will get that)

Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic Pastry and Espresso Bar (North of MLK on 15th) was a Godsend for a weary road warrior. Mmmm I can still taste the Cappuccino Gran, served in a beer glass...

I understand it's no longer there, and that "Quack's" is a vestage of same located elsewhere.

yeah 6th Street is Austin...I can hear SRV right now....

Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 PM

331 posts, read 670,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
I threw it in the waste bin.

Every single last one of them.

Oh? Unfortunately, Pittsburgh isn't on my radar and will never be. I don't do places like Pittsburgh. As far as I'm concerned, New York is the capital of cheap-eats. Specifically cheap ethnic food (with all the diversity and all).

It's the capital of high-end dining too.

I prefer to stay on the coasts, and thus far, nothing in the states has topped the Big Apple.

I'm glad you're enjoying the conversation.
That's fine that cities like "Pittsburgh isn't on your radar", but then don't make comments like "nyc is the best city for cheap eats". Cause in reality, you really don't know. You mentioned Chicago before, I guess Chicago don't have a lot of good "cheap eats"? A lot of the food to me in nyc is HIGHLY, and I stress HIGHLY overrated! I don't know about the "fine dining" cause I never did it. But as far as "cheap eats" goes, done it a thousand times in nyc.

The majority of the pizza there is garbage, along with the Italian food. I've had good Colombian food and Mexican there, that's about it.

You prefer the coasts do ya? Some of the best pizza I ever ate was in Seattle (Bambinos by the Space Needle). You ever had buffalo wings from the actual city of Buffalo? Mexican food in La? The list goes on and on and on and on. NYC can throw garbage at people cause of all the foot traffic they get. A lot of places get so much transient customers it really doesn't matter.

You stay on the "coasts", but just don't act like some kinda of food "critic" when you don't venture into the majority of US cities......

Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Love Austin. I mean I really love Austin.

Back in the early 90's, hopelessly addicted to espresso, travelling 3 weeks a month...was hell. I spent 2 of those 3 weeks in TX, often seeing Austin.

Finding espresso was a beatch. Nevermind finding great espresso.

Ahhhh, but Austin was an oasis (no pun intended, the locals will get that)

Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic Pastry and Espresso Bar (North of MLK on 15th) was a Godsend for a weary road warrior. Mmmm I can still taste the Cappuccino Gran, served in a beer glass...

I understand it's no longer there, and that "Quack's" is a vestage of same located elsewhere.

yeah 6th Street is Austin...I can hear SRV right now....
Quack's is pretty cool. Have you been to Spiderhouse? Another pretty cool coffee house. I also really like The Mohawk. Not coffee shop, but it's a bar and a really cool outdoor music venue. I went there on a Thursday night one time, and past about four or five other bands playing at outdoor venues. All of downtown is like that every night of the week. Only in Austin. So have you ever lived in or around Austin?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:18 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
christian. did end up saying he's referring to very certain and small neighborhoods in Manhattan which are well outside the daily experience of most New Yorkers. It is unique that New York has those neighborhoods and they are unlike (if not in the style at least in scale) those anywhere else in the US. So yea, it's a warped little bubble that's not indicative of the vast majority of NYC, but it's there. The only thing I disagree with is the hyperbole especially in regards to wishy-washy descriptors like "cool" and vibe (NYC's vibe definitely rubs some people the wrong way, and a lot of the subcultures/countercultures here are pretty feeble compared to some other places). Also, the Bay Area has always been better for me for all levels of dining.

Las Vegas is fairly unique as well with no other city I've seen reaching its general vibe of permissiveness. There are also probably a lot of small cities everywhere that are really idiosyncratic. I remember some place in upstate New York that was almost completely hasidic.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Just not in Atlanta....or the being "able to walk everywhere" part either...
I can't get great food in Atlanta? Yes, I can...and in many other cities as well. Atlanta is one of the top 10 restaurant cities in the U.S.

Since I didn't even mention Atlanta, why did you? Just to bad-mouth the city?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can't get great food in Atlanta? Yes, I can...and in many other cities as well. Atlanta is one of the top 10 restaurant cities in the U.S.

Since I didn't even mention Atlanta, why did you? Just to bad-mouth the city?
Do you think Atlanta's fine-dining can compete with the Bay Area, NYC, Chicago, or LA yet? It seems unlikely to me, though I'm sure it's great.

Slightly related--I wonder if all the James Beard-awarded and celebrity chef-opened eateries in Las Vegas means anything. Has anyone actually tried the fine dining there and compared it to the restaurants opened in the traditional heavyweights?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
New York City...

-The "cool" scene unmatched by any other city in the United States
Lol! From reading you post, I don't think you would know the "cool scene" in New York if wandered into the biggest hipster bar in Brooklyn.

Quote:
-Architecture. No city in the states matches New York's architecture.
WRONG! Any one who has taken an architectural history class could tell you that Chicago is one of the most important, if not the most, important city to modern architecture and is right up there with New York. I'm not sure many people realize that LA is also a very important city in architecture over the past 100 years, but just not in skyscrapers. LA is known for houses an low rise buildings. NYC is known for skyscrapers. Chicago is known for both.

Quote:
(b) New York's architecture is soooo diverse and spectacular.
New York has diverse skyscraper architecture. Sure you have places like The Guggenheim Museum, but as for low rise buildings, not quite as diverse or reputable.

Quote:
OMG.., it's like other TRUE cities (like London, Paris, Tokyo) that you can't find in this country that covets nasty things like McDonalds and tract homes! Dare I say...the most civilized? So different from America! Very unique and I love it.
lol! isn't there a McDonalds on Time Square? Also, isn't one of the biggest complaints from New Yorkers about Manhattan is how commercialized it has become?

I enjoy your posts christian! you crack me up!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 AM

331 posts, read 670,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
christian. did end up saying he's referring to very certain and small neighborhoods in Manhattan which are well outside the daily experience of most New Yorkers. It is unique that New York has those neighborhoods and they are unlike (if not in the style at least in scale) those anywhere else in the US. So yea, it's a warped little bubble that's not indicative of the vast majority of NYC, but it's there. The only thing I disagree with is the hyperbole especially in regards to wishy-washy descriptors like "cool" and vibe (NYC's vibe definitely rubs some people the wrong way, and a lot of the subcultures/countercultures here are pretty feeble compared to some other places). Also, the Bay Area has always been better for me for all levels of dining.

Las Vegas is fairly unique as well with no other city I've seen reaching its general vibe of permissiveness. There are also probably a lot of small cities everywhere that are really idiosyncratic. I remember some place in upstate New York that was almost completely hasidic.
But say that there are "cheap dining and cheap shopping" in those areas is beyond a stretch. Not to mention is so-called "100ft" distance reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City