Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 AM

331 posts, read 673,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This might be the problem. You went from an industrial area towards some grittier neighborhoods out towards the suburbs of Queens. This is a really limited view of the city.
What? You think that I just drive straight along there and never veered off? Astoria is nice, and has a lot of great looking buildings, especially the restaurants and bars and all the outdoor cafe's. Very nice looking during the summertime. Bayside is nice also. But Flushing, College Point, Corona, Jackson Height, LI City? Come on now, I've driven all thru those nabes many times. Overall, they're very dumpy looking. There are small pockets in each of those nabes that might have a few decent streets, but overall? Don't think so...

And what do you mean suburbs of Queens? Queens is NYC, PERIOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
Good lord, you are insufferable. Please do not move here to NYC. You are not welcome. We already have enough starry-eyed kids of privilege who are OBSESSED with status above all else.

Your 'type' is the laughing stock of the city. People who feel the incessant need to name-drop brands, people, restaurants, or whatever they feel will somehow elevate their social status in a group. Social validation for your 'type' comes primarily through materialism and artifice (produced by others nonetheless). I tell you to stay away but I know it will not stop you. You want to live in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood and play out your vapid social fantasy.

Your initial instinct to this post will be to reply with a message that somehow portrays your 'status' and 'class' as above mine. Please, by all means, go ahead. Call me "low class" and "unsophisticated". Be predictable.
lol! I love this! props to BillyBurgBK!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 AM

45 posts, read 46,279 times
Quote:
Good lord, you are insufferable. Please do not move here to NYC. You are not welcome. We already have enough starry-eyed kids of privilege who are OBSESSED with status above all else.

Your 'type' is the laughing stock of the city. People who feel the incessant need to name-drop brands, people, restaurants, or whatever they feel will somehow elevate their social status in a group. Social validation for your 'type' comes primarily through materialism and artifice (produced by others nonetheless). I tell you to stay away but I know it will not stop you. You want to live in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood and play out your vapid social fantasy.

Your initial instinct to this post will be to reply with a message that somehow portrays your 'status' and 'class' as above mine. Please, by all means, go ahead. Call me "low class" and "unsophisticated". Be predictable.
Oh just swipe that metrocard of yours back to Williamsburg and stay out of Manhattan if my "type" is such a nuisance.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
What? You think that I just drive straight along there and never veered off? Astoria is nice, and has a lot of great looking buildings, especially the restaurants and bars and all the outdoor cafe's. Very nice looking during the summertime. Bayside is nice also. But Flushing, College Point, Corona, Jackson Height, LI City? Come on now, I've driven all thru those nabes many times. Overall, they're very dumpy looking. There are small pockets in each of those nabes that might have a few decent streets, but overall? Don't think so...

And what do you mean suburbs of Queens? Queens is NYC, PERIOD!
You're listing neighborhoods that aren't very attractive, and I listed neighborhoods that are. Your assertions don't pan out for NYC just because you saw the ugly parts. Astoria itself isn't too pretty either.

And by suburbs, I mean the look of some of the areas. It's Queens. Much of it and Staten Island are the suburban areas of the city.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
Oh just swipe that metrocard of yours back to Williamsburg and stay out of Manhattan if my "type" is such a nuisance.
I like that you went ahead and did what he said. It's very good of you to acquiesce so readily.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:

Good post! Some people think that they can buy "cool". You can't, you either have it, or you don't. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin would've been "cool" if they pumped gas for a living. Dean Martin was from Stubenville, Ohio. Basically, it's an old mill town southwest of Pittsburgh. I'd say that he fit into the NY "scene" just fine.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
He's probably from East NY, I'd watch what I say to him.......

Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're listing neighborhoods that aren't very attractive, and I listed neighborhoods that are. Your assertions don't pan out for NYC just because you saw the ugly parts. Astoria itself isn't too pretty either.

And by suburbs, I mean the look of some of the areas. It's Queens. Much of it and Staten Island are the suburban areas of the city.
Well, considering that Queens is 110 sq miles, and has a population over 2.2 million people, I'd say that qualifies as "urban". Why do people think that an ENTIRE city has to look like downtowns do? Why is this? City neighborhoods don't all have to look like mid-town Mannhattan to be city-like.

What neighborhoods did you list? I'll have to relook after this post. There are a handful of nabes in Queens that will pass for being "nice" looking. How about most of Jamaica? I know you ain't going to say that Far Rockaway is nice looking.

NYC is very old, and it shows. It is was it is. NYC doesn't really re-envest in most of it's older buildings or houses. Builders tear them down and build new and jive looking condos instead.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 AM

59 posts, read 99,980 times
^^^

Dude...Chicago also has LOTS ****ty neighborhoods (Austin, Englewood, N. Lawndale, Garfield Park) does LA, SF, Boston, DC, Houston. Whats the point of singling out these neighborhoods like Jamaica? I don't get your point. I dont think anyone said every square inch of NYC looked like the Upper West Side.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to allude to something? You sound poor and uneducated. Your proletariat attitude, views and sweeping generalizations sounds like something I'd hear coming out of someone named "Bubba's" mouth. Typical middle-American.

By the way you've been following me around, I think it's painfully clear that you really do care what I think. It's OK though, lot's of people care what I think.

I've traveled everywhere, but I prefer to stay on the coasts since I've seen enough of mainland United States. I'm more of a world-traveler. I have racked up more miles in the past two months than you have ever done in your lifetime.
Actually, I am poor and uneducated, seriously I'm both. Ain't too many "Bubba's" I ever met from Pittsburgh.

Oh......now you "travelled everywhere".........first the dog ate the "ham and cheese" sandwich, now you're a pilot for American Airlines....

You've seen enough of the USA? You'd rather spend money in a foreign country than help a struggling American hotel, or bartender or waitress, etc. in these economic times? Shame on you my man!

I doubt that you've travelled more in the last two months than I have in my lifetime. I've spent almost as many years travelling as you are alive. Both domestic and internationally.

"World traveller"..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City