Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM

331 posts, read 670,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
You are citing a different Homewood.

Homewood is a neighborhood in the far eastern part of the city of Pittsburgh. It is 99% black with a population around 10,000. The rest mentioned are eastern suburbs. Braddock has 3,000 - 66% black, Rankin 2,300 - 70% black, and Homestead 3,500 and 51% black, according to Wikipedia. The percentages of blacks assigned to these suburbs seems too low.
Thank you! And I agree, the "white" people must NEVER step outside their doors in those neighborhoods, cause I never see any.

Also, I know they might be technically "suburbs", we we both know they are NOT very suburban in any way.

I can't stand when people make comments on places they never been to like that guy who tried proving me wrong. They "cyber travel" and think they know what's up......

Last edited by worldwanderer; 11-21-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:30 PM

331 posts, read 670,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Uhh.. I just looked up Homewood, it has a couple hundred people and is 2% black. The rest were all around 2,000 people and no more than 60% black.. so I think you are exaggerating a tad much here.
Uhh....Quit "cyber travelling"............

Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
One can spend all day in downtown Portland, and over a month's time never see an African American.
Is that true?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,899,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Is that true?
No. Not even close.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,787,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Um, wouldn't the appropriate response be to clarify the response for me so I can understand your point?
What is appropriate though, really? This thread really isn't. Sometimes things feel like a lost cause.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make in my other post was that racial statistics are a terrible way to judge the diversity of a place and you have to take into account diversity in things like religion, political ideology, and specifically (as it relates to this thread) ethnicity.

Most Eastern Europeans (including many Russians) obviously belong to the "Caucasian" race, but they are ethnically different from other Caucasians, such as Turks, Swedes, Spaniards, Italians, Argentinians, Britons, Australians, Canadians, Caucasian-Americans, etc. That's my point. African-Americans are going to be different from Ghanaians, Somalians, South Africans, Haitians, Dominicans, etc. All East Asians aren't the same. They could be Thai, Hmong, Han Chinese, Japanese, Tibetan, etc. And so forth.

That said, you can't really force diversity... It's almost ridiculous sometimes. I'm from a mixed racial/ethnic background (and a small hometown that's about 85% non-Hispanic white) and I don't really understand why people make such a big deal about it. Like what is so wrong about Portland being so white? It's not like they're enforcing a whites-only immigration policy or something crazy. Most Portlanders are very open to more diversity in their city and metro area. If it were more diverse it'd add a lot more dynamism to the city, but it is what it is, and on the other hand it used to be 100% white (30 years ago Metro Portland/Vancouver was 92% white). And furthermore, Portland is still a very diverse place in many ways, and heads above gigantic swaths of the planet in terms of racial and ethnic diversity.

Quote:
During the African American migration out of the South in the 1920s, Oregon didn't draw blacks mainly because it was "off the map, too remote, too far from black population centers," Millner says. Seattle, settled later than Portland, had less overtly racist views and offered more maritime jobs. California was closer, offered railroad jobs and had better weather.
In a changing world, Portland remains overwhelmingly white | Oregon Local News - OregonLive.com

Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Is life that bad for blacks in portland and other cities that are mostly white? I've lived in one of the blackest metros (memphis) and the quality of life for everyone sucked.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,295,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You never hear blacks in Harlem saying "We really need some more white people around here!", in fact you mainly hear the exact opposite with locals vocally opposing gentrification. Yet the PC brigade hears "Mostly White" and assumes that there is something fundementally wrong with that.

ABQConvict
No--we just move out of the hood to be closer to white folks instead!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
Aaron Renn: Portland, America's ultimate White City | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Points (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/points/stories/DN-renn_15edi.State.Edition1.209fc7e.html - broken link)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,577,747 times
That article is flawed in many ways, and was absolutely picked apart when he posted it to his blog a few weeks back.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...the-white-city

Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 PM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
I really enjoyed reading the blogs about the article. I loved the post describing st louis as being non progressive along with baltimore. Fyi both st louis and baltimore have some of the benefits as portland and seatle. That's a whole other debate.

I believe that people are going to move to a city where they can live out their ideal. Just because white kids want to go to cities like portland doesn't make them racist anymore than the black kid wanting to move to dc or atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City