Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM

7,253 posts, read 10,505,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And we have another region that is struggling to stand out and have an identity that is relevant in the 21st century.
I advise you to do a little more research, as your allusion to Philadelphia as "struggling to keep relevant" demonstrates your lack of knowledge about our local economic strategies to become more competitive -- which are extremely promising.

By Richard Florida, the world-renown maven of the "creative class":

"Greater Philadelphia's economic future is in large measure being shaped by its role as a key node in the second-largest "mega-region" in the world - a megalopolis that economic geographers in the early 1960s dubbed "Bos-Wash." Running from Boston through New York City, Philadelphia and Baltimore to Washington, Bos-Wash is home to about 54 million people and more than $2 trillion in economic output, making it one of the five largest economies in the world - nations included. Philadelphia has become a place of choice in this mega-region and in the United States as a whole. After losing population for decades, Philadelphia is projected to grow. It's a hot place in a hot mega-region."

http://www.creativeclass.com/rfcgdb/...o%20bright.pdf

"Innovation Philadelphia's goal is to increase the creative industries in this region an additional 2 percent by 2010. That would generate $1.2 billion in economic impact and 15,000 jobs, Lee said. Key to reaching that goal, she said, will be the region's colleges and universities - "the people who are churning out the future workforce." The exposure this region - and its creative economy - will get from next week's summit should also help, Lee said. The expected turnout is double that of the first creative-economy summit held in Philadelphia in 2006. The focus of that event was to define "creative economy" - which had only become a familiar term when sociologist Richard Florida's book, The Rise of the Creative Class, was published in 2002."

http://www.econsult.com/articles/092...ifferences.pdf

Last edited by Duderino; 11-18-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I was just agreeing that Dallas ain't a poor city.
Neither city is, I just wanted to point out the numbers; since Dallas is known for Billionaires, while Philadelphia is seldom "seen" as a wealthy Metropolitan area.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Why are people attacking the entire states of Texas and Pennsylvania, not to mention off-topic California, New York and New Jersey on a thread about Philadelphia and Dallas?
Thank you, can posters PLEASE stay on topic.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,849,824 times
[quote=th3vault;11672590]Yet Texas has kept it's conservative values. It hasn't turned into a swing state like Florida.

Texas is a red state. Blue cities maybe, but it's a red state. Rural and the burbs are solid red and the cities (other than Austin) are not nearly as blue as cities are elsewhere.

That's just the way I like it. There are more than enough blue states...Cali and NY for sure, FL is probably going to go blue, NC as well, VA maybe, GA is borderline....not to mention the NE and West Coast. Keep Texas a red state.[/QUOTE
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And just for the fun of it: much of the Midwest is "blue" as well--Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota..

Last edited by MassVt; 11-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: separation

Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, that was one for the ages. How it must still sting.

Alameda County vs Philadelphia County was especially harsh.

I don't know, but the Bay Area has the highest average credit score in the nation.

San Francisco area’s credit scores are the best - San Francisco Business Times:

We can handle it. Philly could not.

Such is the nature of our strong economy. We are accustomed to the ebb and flows of economic trends. We do not sit and watch the world pass us by like some places.

*yawns*
5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion

Well, your about 1 Million less than the Bay Area now. And this is one gap that will only get wider with time as we have one region that is on the cutting edge of the global economy and continues to attract the best and brightest from all over the world.

And we have another region that is struggling to stand out and have an identity that is relevant in the 21st century.
Would you please explain to your fellow posters......What this has to do with Dallas vs. Philadelphia????? Or are you attempting to derail a thread????

Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,571,866 times
I'd live in Philly just because of it's proximity to so many major cities within a days drive.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM

It amazes me how extremely close the numbers on both cities appear: Dallas has 2.966 Million people in it's civilian labor force. While just behind is Philadelphia with 2.917 Million people comprising it's civilian labor force.....incredibly similar.... http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/...b-06tableb.pdf

Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Let's face it...no matter what numbers we all come up with; both cities are really vital to our economy and identity...but both are overshadowed by a few larger cities.

Both cities are under valued in my opinion; however Philly does often get a bum rap and WE ALL are defensive of our turf...only natural. Actually they are extremely close in most aspects and future speculation is just that...somebody's best GUESS.
I think this is right.

Dallas and Philly have what I would call "Middle Child Syndrome". Philly being the middle child between its big brother NYC and little brother DC (or Boston if you wish). Dallas is the middle child between its older brother Houston and little brother Atlanta. The middle child is always the one that sold short and often ignored. Yet at the end of the day, the middle child is often the one that is the most stable. I know with Dallas that is the case. The economy in Dallas is more diversified than Houston or Atlanta. But, Dallas never gets the huge economic booms that Houston and Atanta get. Dallas is more stable in tough times.

However at the end of the day, if we look at Metro areas, this changes for Dallas. In my analogy, Metro Houston would probably be the middle Child with DFW being the biggest brother.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

198 posts, read 260,265 times
To very different cities. Virtually uncomparable. Dallas on the plains of Texas the fastest growing metro in the nation. Philly an old pre auto east coast gritty fully matured urban city. You can actually walk roof to roof in some sections of Philly for blocks. These cities may look similar on paper but could not be more different. I believe that each city is equally important to the regions that they serve. I would live in Dallas for the life style and affordability. But Philly has some advantages if you are truly seeking an urban lifestyle and enjoy being close to other dense urban cities.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
To very different cities. Virtually uncomparable. Dallas on the plains of Texas the fastest growing metro in the nation. Philly an old pre auto east coast gritty fully matured urban city. You can actually walk roof to roof in some sections of Philly for blocks. These cities may look similar on paper but could not be more different. I believe that each city is equally important to the regions that they serve. I would live in Dallas for the life style and affordability. But Philly has some advantages if you are truly seeking an urban lifestyle and enjoy being close to other dense urban cities.
I agree the cities are very unique and different; however realizing their differences, aren't you surprised how close the numbers are in many demographic parameters. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City