Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Most Corrupt U.S. City?
NYC, NY 3 2.61%
Chicago, IL 41 35.65%
Boston, MA 2 1.74%
Philadelphia, PA 5 4.35%
Detroit, MI 14 12.17%
Seattle, WA 0 0%
San Francisco, CA 2 1.74%
Washington, D.C. 10 8.70%
Las Vegas, NV 5 4.35%
Houston, TX 2 1.74%
New Orleans, LA 21 18.26%
Any other contenders, click this option. 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
#1 in the country is Chicago... no doubt about it

New Orleans is a VERY close second

A tad bit behind those two would be Miami and Detroit equally tied,

and after that I would say Phoenix and Las Vegas for the city's blunder during the housing bubble

DC as well.
To me, it seems like New Orleans has been trying to clean up it's act a bit sense Katrina, or at least this has been my impression. The corruption in the city and the state was BIG part for the levees braking and the compete disorganized mess after Katina. Before Katrina, I would have probably picked New Orleans, but Chicago might have passed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM

331 posts, read 672,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Why has Chicago gotten so many votes? I'm curious. I voted for D.C. because of all the politics as usual, and the Health Care fiasco right now. I just think they are all a bunch of frauds and liars looking out for #1.
Chicago is getting so many votes because anyone who's lived there, knows how often you see the local politicians being led around in handcuffs. I'm sure a lot of times it doesn't make "national headlines". So if you don't live in the Chicagoland area, you may never hear about it.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Chicago is getting so many votes because anyone who's lived there, knows how often you see the local politicians being led around in handcuffs. I'm sure a lot of times it doesn't make "national headlines". So if you don't live in the Chicagoland area, you may never hear about it.
No, it's because people who don't live there think they know what goes on. The 37% of the people who voted for Chicago are not all from there or don't live there currently.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
No, it's because people who don't live there think they know what goes on. The 37% of the people who voted for Chicago are not all from there or don't live there currently.
What are you, Chicago's "PR" machine? (pun intented ).

I know Chicago, and I watched their local news enough to know, what's what!

They name a highway after a Governor, then he go's to prison for the rest of his life!

And what happened to the next Governor that took his place? Indicted once again! And that dude REALLY need's a hair stylist!

Read a couple post before that, 1 elected official is indicted every other week!

Saying that corruption is "rampant in Chicago", is beyond an UNDERSTATEMENT!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
What are you, Chicago's "PR" machine? (pun intented ).

I know Chicago, and I watched their local news enough to know, what's what!

They name a highway after a Governor, then he go's to prison for the rest of his life!

And what happened to the next Governor that took his place? Indicted once again! And that dude REALLY need's a hair stylist!

Read a couple post before that, 1 elected official is indicted every other week!

Saying that corruption is "rampant in Chicago", is beyond an UNDERSTATEMENT!
I never said Chicago didn't have corruption.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I never said Chicago didn't have corruption.
How could ya?..... It leads the nation in big city corruption....not to mention in "indicted govenors"!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
How could ya?..... It leads the nation in big city corruption....not to mention in "indicted govenors"!
But they aren't the city, they are the state.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
But they aren't the city, they are the state.
There are elected official's from all over that state of Illinois who get "indicted". And to think that the Governors "office" doesn't have their hands in the politics of Chicago is beyond silly....

I guess Obama had no ties to the Governor either?

Chicago is the state's economic powerhouse. That's like saying that in NYC, Albany ain't influeing anything, again, very silly......

Daley is always in some kind of jackpot, or someone close to his "administration".....or I should say his REGIME!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:44 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
To me, it seems like New Orleans has been trying to clean up it's act a bit sense Katrina, or at least this has been my impression. The corruption in the city and the state was BIG part for the levees braking and the compete disorganized mess after Katina. Before Katrina, I would have probably picked New Orleans, but Chicago might have passed it.
No my friend, I'm afraid that those were maintained by the federal govt. If they were maintained by the state they would have been in much better condition. The main contributors to the Katrina aftermath are the feds and the oil companies. Without them it would not have flooded a day after the storm missed NOLA.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
No my friend, I'm afraid that those were maintained by the federal govt. If they were maintained by the state they would have been in much better condition. The main contributors to the Katrina aftermath are the feds and the oil companies. Without them it would not have flooded a day after the storm missed NOLA.
Oh yes. I stand corrected. I actually saw a report on Rachel Maddow earlier about how the Army Corp of Engineers just lost a law suit based on the failure to maintain the levees in New Orleans. So I've been under the impression that there has been a somewhat of an effort to clean up the corruption in New Orleans and Louisiana after Katrina. Am I just imagining things or is there some truth to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City