Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State is better? based on economy beauty...etc
Arkansas 17 34.00%
Maine 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times

Advertisements

Ummm Maine? Can you say cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

NAACP convention in town?
hahaha that's great! I actually remember seeing the black guy in the first picture and thinking "wow, there's black people in Maine now?" It's a new world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ummm Maine? Can you say cold?
Yea Maine may be cold for a few months of the year...but that's great if you love to ski/snowboard/snowmobile/etc.

When I think of Maine I don't think of cold, I think of this lobsters ... even though the lobsters in Massachusetts are just as good.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Portland is actually becoming kind of diverse. There is a growing Somali population there,and between 2000 and 2007 the african-american population tripled in the city-
Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I knew about the accolades Portland often receives, but didn't know about its increasing diversity. I was actually surprised to see that my church denomination, which is predominantly Black, has at least one congregation in Portland. Pretty cool stuff.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I lived in Maine for a couple years. It isn't anywhere where I'd like to live (that's why I transferred to another college), but it's beautiful and a really nice place to visit. But, I'd still prefer to live there over Arkansas.

And about the cold...it's much colder there than where I live in NY, but when you get used to the cold, it doesn't bother you as much. I had a job shoveling snow on campus. I'd be out there with the snow whipping in my face, with snow up to my knees and the windchill -20 degrees. I laughed at the Mainers when they told me once it hit 30 degrees in the spring, they broke out the shorts. When it happened that first year, I realized how warm it really did feel in comparison to 0 degrees during the winter. 30 degrees is equivalent to when it finally reaches 60 degrees in downstate NY.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Definitely Arkansas. Never been to Arkansas but I've been to Maine enough times to know I would never want to live there.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
I spent 8 formative years in Arkansas. I've never been to Maine. Maine wins.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Arkansas.

Much warmer and there are some sports there. At least there's college football and the Razorbacks even if no pro teams.

Little Rock was one of the friendliest places I've ever been to. Bangor was pretty bad.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Arkansas.

Much warmer and there are some sports there. At least there's college football and the Razorbacks even if no pro teams.

Little Rock was one of the friendliest places I've ever been to. Bangor was pretty bad.

The majority of people who live in Maine are no more than an hour and a half from Boston where there are pro sports. Anyway, there's the University of Maine sports all over the state, which is Division 1 in most sports. I say Maine wins in terms of sports.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The majority of people who live in Maine are no more than an hour and a half from Boston where there are pro sports. Anyway, there's the University of Maine sports all over the state, which is Division 1 in most sports. I say Maine wins in terms of sports.
Football:

Maine: FCS division, Colonial Atheltic Association

Arkansas: FBS division, Southeastern Conference (SEC is home to the two top ranked football programs and has won the last 3 FBS national championships)

Basketball:

Maine: America East Conference, usually not relevant

Arkansas: Southeastern Conference, one of the better conferences

The only thing Maine beats Arkansas in is hockey.

But other than that Arkansas wins hands down. The SEC is one of the most prominent conferences in all of college sports, the two Maine participates in are relativley unheard of outside of the schools in them and have poor attendance and records.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
the two Maine participates in are relativley unheard of outside of the schools in them and have poor attendance and records.

Hey now, don't be insulting Maine college sports--I played college ice hockey in Maine a few years ago and we got 3rd place in the country But as far as I see it, Maine wins in sports since it has hockey But that's just my opinion, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City