Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more gay-friendly?
Chicago 82 56.16%
Atlanta 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:32 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Contrary to popular belief, NYC isn't all that gay friendly.
Visit the East Village and say that. It's the gayest place I've ever been haha. I've never seen people so open about their sexuality.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Definitely Chicago. My brother who is married with two little girls lives two blocks from Boystown. Those boys have taken over and constantly hit on my brother and dote on his daughters.

Atlanta, from what I saw, is mostly a black, gay community. I worked near Lenox and lived in Buckhead and the only gay guys I saw were African-American. Of course, this is a generalization, but I have gay friends in DC who tell me that Atlanta is the place to go if you're gay and black.
A large population of Atlanta Gay population is white. theres also a growing Latino Gay culture in the city as well.

And there also a large Lesbian Population in Atlanta as well

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM

183 posts, read 230,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
In terms of gay friendliness both are around the same. As for gay things to do. Chicago has more options. Atlanta's gay nightlife has suffered a lot with the recession. Currently the main bars to frequent on weekends tend to be drag bars which isnt exactly everyones cup of tea.

That is so Not true, I dont know where are you going but there isnt any gay clubs that i seen suffer from a recession. Atlanta has the 4th largest gay pride event and the largest black gay pride event. There are also more black gay men here in Atlanta than any other place also. There are plenty of spots to go to around here. Trust I am a black gay african american. I been living in Atl for about 6 years this city is very popular for african american gay around the world.
Atlanta Pride, also colloquially (and formerly) called the Atlanta Gay Pride Festival, is a week-long annual lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) pride parade held in Atlanta, Georgia (United States). Established in 1971, it is one of the oldest pride parades in the United States.[1] The parade averages an attendance of 300,000-400,000, making it one of the largest gay pride parades in the country

Atlanta black Gay pride http://www.inthelifeatl.com/pride/schedule

Last edited by AtlantaGuy21; 11-19-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Visit the East Village and say that. It's the gayest place I've ever been haha. I've never seen people so open about their sexuality.
Because thats the Turf for gay people to go.. Now tell them to go to the bronx or Brooklynn and see what happens see if they will get the same treatment???

Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Because thats the Turf for gay people to go.. Now tell them to go to the bronx or Brooklynn and see what happens see if they will get the same treatment???
Why would they have trouble in those areas?

People love to stereotype these boroughs. People call San Francisco, Atlanta, and Boston havens for homosexuals....you do realize that Brooklyn is bigger than all three of those cities combined, right? So is Queens! The Bronx is bigger than San Francisco & Atlanta combined. Areas of Brooklyn like Williamsburg are ridiculously liberal...hell the city is a hipster-paradise...look at Riverdale in the Bronx.

C'mon guys, not everywhere outside of Manhattan is Hunt's Point...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why would they have trouble in those areas?

People love to stereotype these boroughs. People call San Francisco, Atlanta, and Boston havens for homosexuals....you do realize that Brooklyn is bigger than all three of those cities combined, right? So is Queens! The Bronx is bigger than San Francisco & Atlanta combined. Areas of Brooklyn like Williamsburg are ridiculously liberal...hell the city is a hipster-paradise...look at Riverdale in the Bronx.

C'mon guys, not everywhere outside of Manhattan is Hunt's Point...
In those areas you do not see swarms of Gay men exploiting there sexuality. The Village is where they go because thats an area that is more excepting for gay people. I want you to go hold hands with a guy on flatbush Bushwick Fulton or broadway and see what happens.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Oh look, another "who loves gay people more" thread.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
^LMAO

the only place in chicago thats gay friendly is boystown-wrigleyville and a few others

other than that it aint too gayfriendly.

i going with atl. I dont know if its tru but there's "possibly" a big black gay pop.

-mas23-

Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I relunctantly voted fopr Chicago only because as mentioned Illinois is way more likely to have gay marriage or something similar in the near future than Georgia. Other than that they're both very gay friendly. I can only speak about Atlanta and it's a really great city. You can be yourself in Atlanta for sure. There's always something going on in Atlanta.

I wouldn't say that there's nothing but drag bars in Atlanta. There's a few but there's plenty of bars that don't have drag shows. Bulldogs, Heretic, and the Eagle come to mind but I know there;s more.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
I voted for Chicago but only because Atlanta is in Georgia. Atlanta is very progressive like Chicago & gays live peacefully in both cities. The difference is that the state of Georgia is full of red-necks w/ prejudices against all kinds of people. Thankfully, Illinois doesn't have that kind of mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City