Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more gay-friendly?
Chicago 82 56.16%
Atlanta 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
Sadly the word community means nothing to the Gay Community. And "Gay-Friendliness" city doesn't necessarily mean other gay people will be friendly to other gay people. White Gay clubs and Black Gay clubs? This is just sad. But don't worry Atlanta every city with a large gay population has the same problem.
Don't worry, we mix quite nicely here, thank you.

The place I hang out looks like a mini-U.N. at times.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Don't worry, we mix quite nicely here, thank you.

The place I hang out looks like a mini-U.N. at times.
Really? I don't know about all that. For the most gay folks in general all over the country not just Atlanta are fairly segregated. The only place I can think of in Atlanta that might be more mixed is Heretic. Other than that yeah it is more black and white.

Now I will say that I do enjoy places that are more mixed. For a very very short period of time Columbus, GA had only one gay bar and it was very mixed of course there were quite a few who didn't like this and now little Columbus has two (Columbus isn't big enough to support two) one white and one black. It would be better if there was just one gay bar there.

Now in Atlanta which of course is much bigger there is less need actually for a mixed bar. Usually the music played is part of the issue. You can't request too much techno at a "black" bar and you can't request too much hip hop at a "white" bar. That has been a big problem for my friends going out both black and white.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You certainly know more about Georgia than me so I will concede to your knowledge. I guess my thinking has to do with where Republicans are the majority. Illinois is a Democratic state so I figured it was less homophobic than Georgia.
I agree with the previous poster and add that there is a difference, or rather a huge difference, between Atlanta and the most of the rest of Georgia politically:

Notice something...

Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree with the previous poster and add that there is a difference, or rather a huge difference, between Atlanta and the most of the rest of Georgia politically:

Notice something...
I noticed all kinds of things. The first thing I noticed was the pockets of blue all have high if not majority black populations. I was looking at a map of the country based on precentage of black people and there is a belt a black belt if you wanna call it that goes right through the middle of the state. This map seems to stay true to the "black belt" with a few exception counties.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I noticed all kinds of things. The first thing I noticed was the pockets of blue all have high if not majority black populations. I was looking at a map of the country based on precentage of black people and there is a belt a black belt if you wanna call it that goes right through the middle of the state. This map seems to stay true to the "black belt" with a few exception counties.
Ugh. I guess everyone needs stuff spelled out for them. The person I responding too said that he thought that Chicago would be more gay friendly because it is a democratic area, as opposed to how he believed Georgia is a republican only (or mostly) state. Atlanta lies entirely in Fulton County and a little bit in Dekalb county. Thouse would be the two deep blue counties underneath the heading Atlanta. Both counties together have 1.8 million people, most of whom vote Democratic. Not that it has anything to do with how gay friendly an area is. But if you going for the political affiliation argument, then in the case of Chicago and City of Atlanta it is moot. THey are identical politically.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ugh. I guess everyone needs stuff spelled out for them. The person I responding too said that he thought that Chicago would be more gay friendly because it is a democratic area, as opposed to how he believed Georgia is a republican only (or mostly) state. Atlanta lies entirely in Fulton County and a little bit in Dekalb county. Thouse would be the two deep blue counties underneath the heading Atlanta. Both counties together have 1.8 million people, most of whom vote Democratic. Not that it has anything to do with how gay friendly an area is. But if you going for the political affiliation argument, then in the case of Chicago and City of Atlanta it is moot. THey are identical politically.
Ugh? What???? That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the map.

I don't think that anyone has argued that Atlanta city proper and Chicago city proper are both solidly democrat. I think the argument was against the rest of the state of GA being so gosh darn red.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

321 posts, read 720,632 times
^^^^
Right,and the fact that their ability to influence legislation will stifle gay marraige being legalized.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
No I have not but i know people who have been terrible bashed there so yes i do have a clue
NYC is overall pretty gay friendly, they could care less. It's not just the Villages (east & west), there also very gay friendly areas like Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Midtown East, Williamsburg, Astoria, Washington Heights, Lower East Side.

I don't understand how anyone can think NYC is gay "un" friendly when compared to the 100's of other cities out there.

Back to topic. I've lived in both Chicago and now Atlanta and my vote goes to Chicago, although both are pretty gay friendly, I feel as though leaving boystown and being gay is more acceptable in parts of the city vs. leaving midtown in Atlanta..

Old 11-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Ugh? What???? That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the map.

I don't think that anyone has argued that Atlanta city proper and Chicago city proper are both solidly democrat. I think the argument was against the rest of the state of GA being so gosh darn red.
No, there misconception was that they believed Chicago to be more tolerant of the GLBT community because it was more democratic than Atlanta.

What it's like out in the rest of Georgia is pretty irrelevant.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:03 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
This dumb ass thread is now 7 pages? come on people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City