Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
California 25 47.17%
Massachusetts 28 52.83%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Most people don't know this but:
The USNWRs first ranking in 1983 caught the East Coast Ivies off guard. Berkeley was in the Top 5(3rd if not mistaken and Stanford was 2nd), Michigan, UCLA and I believe Virginia(and I think U. of Washington) were all in the top 20.

Remember in the beginning, the US News Ranking was VOTED ON BY UNIVERSITY PRESIDENTS in conjunction with USNWRs own criteria.

And in that ranking, Berkeley topped Yale and Princeton. It was very ugly and embarrassing. LOL

So the Privates lobbied to have student-teacher ratio and alumni donations given extra weight and less emphasis given to what Univ. Presidents thought, and that shut out the publics from the top 5 permanently.

Hence the huge difference btwn Undergrad and Grad School rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,254,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Wait. Youre quoting yourself as "called it"?

And we're talking about real academics- who cares about the sports teams?
Clearly that's what I did. Would you like to try reading it to know why?

Sports, maybe if, for once, you took time to read what was going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Overall, which state has the better public/private universities (as far as academics, courses, sports, faculty, etc)?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,877,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
California probably has the best public universities in the Country. Boston/MA clearly best California when it comes to Private universities.
This.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:39 PM

117 posts, read 329,658 times
Both but I have to go with CA!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
Massachusetts has more prestigious, private universities than California. However, the University of California system is by far the best public university system in the country. California schools are better for sports, whereas Massachusetts schools are better for the arts. I think overall, both states are pretty equal as they both have different strengths. I think what sets apart MA in the end is that CA has about six times the population of MA, and most of the schools are concentrated in and around the Boston area, so it creates an educational environment that no place in the country can top.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,925,871 times
California has the best public schools. Since that is the burden of the state, I give CA more credit than MA.... good private schools can come up anywhere, it takes committment from the state to build a good public university and California has far more of those than anywhere else.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Seeing as Massachusetts would practically fit into the LA Basin, I'll go with Massachusetts for impressiveness.

Btw, The University of California is technically one school with multiple campuses. One president, one school.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 AM

304 posts, read 865,878 times
Per capita, MA is way ahead of CA.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM

517 posts, read 1,312,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Seeing as Massachusetts would practically fit into the LA Basin, I'll go with Massachusetts for impressiveness.

Btw, The University of California is technically one school with multiple campuses. One president, one school.
The University of California is one school? I don't think I can agree with that comment. Yes they all fall under the Univeristy of California system but calling it technically one school? Crazy talk.

Would you also consider The California State University System with over 450,000 students and 23 campuses one school too?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It is definitely not one school. The University of California system is just a public university system, like State University of New York system, the University of North Carolina system, the University of Wisconsin system, etc. Each campus within the system is its own university, which is why you apply to each university within those systems individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City