Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

1. Paris, France - beautiful architecture, cafe culture
2. London, England - the Royal family, ultra-expensive real estate
3. Warsaw, Poland - the Pope
4. Toronto, Canada - most diverse city north of the border, bustling downtown and quiet residential areas
5. Tokyo, Japan - massive in population, lots of business going on
6. Montreal, Canada - hybrid Anglophone/Francophone city
7. Tijuana, Mexico - American tourists getting drunk in bars by the beach
8. Quebec City, Canada - very cold climate, very French-influenced
9. Buenos Aires, Argentina - the most European city in the New World
10. Seoul, Korea - crowded and busy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
10. Seoul, Korea - Aretha Franklin
Hah!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 85,244 times
Don't get me wrong, Poland is awesome to visit and there's lots to see and do. Warsaw is also really cool to see but just disappointed me because it's the largest city (and capitol) and I thought it would be a lot more touristy and have more things to do and see. Regardless, i don't regret going at all. If I can give advice from personal experience though, go to Warsaw but don't budget too much time there. I would say 2 days is more then enough and then move on. Personally I could have stayed in Krakow for a week and found stuff to do and see.

Last tip, if you are on a budget, visit the milk bars. They are old communist style eateries that serve great food and cost a few bucks ($2-5) at most.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling RS View Post
Somebody posted this with 10 american cities and I thought it was very interesting so I thought I would get your opinions the same way about international cities.

What's the first thing (could be a one word answer or more) that comes to mind when you think of these 10 international cities?

1. Paris, France
2. London, England
3. Warsaw, Poland
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Tokyo, Japan
6. Montreal, Canada
7. Tijuana, Mexico
8. Quebec City, Canada
9. Buenos Aires, Argentina
10. Seoul, Korea

I'm looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts!

Paris,Eiffel Tower,the Revolution.
London,the Parliament,the Queen,RHD.
Warsaw,melancholic,the Jewish ghetto.
Toronto,well...nothing particular.
Tokyo,skyscrapers,limited space,RHD.
Montreal,French influence.
Tijuana,fake steroids,drugs for Amer tourists...
Quebec,French separatists
Buenos Aires,the Paris of Latin America
Seoul ,the Olympics,rising economy...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Poland is awesome to visit and there's lots to see and do. Warsaw is also really cool to see but just disappointed me because it's the largest city (and capitol) and I thought it would be a lot more touristy and have more things to do and see. Regardless, i don't regret going at all. If I can give advice from personal experience though, go to Warsaw but don't budget too much time there. I would say 2 days is more then enough and then move on. Personally I could have stayed in Krakow for a week and found stuff to do and see.

Last tip, if you are on a budget, visit the milk bars. They are old communist style eateries that serve great food and cost a few bucks ($2-5) at most.

Enjoy your trip!
Yeah, we're spending 2 1/2 days in Warsaw, 3 in Krakow, and a day and a half in Auschwitz.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 9,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, we're spending 2 1/2 days in Warsaw, 3 in Krakow, and a day and a half in Auschwitz.

You are going to miss Gdansk then... You shouldn't . While you are in Krakow you should also make a short jump to Prague. This city is really impressive when it comes to architecture and tourist attractions...

Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgoodnamestaken View Post
You are going to miss Gdansk then... You shouldn't . While you are in Krakow you should also make a short jump to Prague. This city is really impressive when it comes to architecture and tourist attractions...
The main intention of this trip is to research WW2 sites/camps because I plan on finishing this Holocaust novel I'm writing. That's why I'm visiting Warsaw, Krakow, and Auschwitz in the week I'll be there. If I had more time, I would visit more places.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 9,299 times
Quote:
The main intention of this trip is to research WW2 sites/camps because I plan on finishing this Holocaust novel I'm writing. That's why I'm visiting Warsaw, Krakow, and Auschwitz in the week I'll be there. If I had more time, I would visit more places.

I figured that from your post nevertheless it seems like a loss to be in that part of the world and miss places like Gdansk, Prague, Budapest or Vienna... They seem to be less renowned that the obvious Paris, London, Berlin, Brussels, Amsterdam yet offer a lot in terms of tourist attractions...

Here is Gdansk, Prague or Vienna do not need any introductions

Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 85,244 times
Quote:
In that case, about an hour and a half north east of Warsaw is another camp called Treblinka. It's near the town of brok. I would suggest you visit while your in Warsaw.
Treblinka extermination camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe this was the second largest camp after Auschwitz.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
In that case, about an hour and a half north east of Warsaw is another camp called Treblinka. It's near the town of brok. I would suggest you visit while your in Warsaw.
Treblinka extermination camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe this was the second largest camp after Auschwitz.

Yeah, I knew it was there and I know about the camp. I'll have to see if we have the time. Thanks for all your advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City