Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Yeah, but I can't even lie, that AMC at that new Atlas Park (Queens) shopping plaza thing is really nice. I've been there twice.
I haven't been to any movie theaters in Queens. I always went to see movies in Manhattan when I lived in Queens. It was easier to get to by subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I haven't been to any movie theaters in Queens. I always went to see movies in Manhattan when I lived in Queens. It was easier to get to by subway.
I've only been to a Queens movie theatre 3 times lol, the Atlas Park AMC and that big movie theatre in College Point (I think its a Loews/AMC or an IMAX). Atlas Park is very new so I guess that's why its AMC looks so nice. I still mostly go to Loews, its faster to get there and we're usually at Roosevelt Field all day after that lol.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
As for Texas, I could be wrong (if I am some one please let me know), but it seems like most of the big theaters here seem to be chain companies that you can find all over the country. However, you can find several great independent theaters here. The independent movie scene is pretty big here and growing (especially in Austin and Houston).

In Austin, You have:

Alamo Drafthouse :: Main Page
Alamo Drafthouse Ritz, Village, South Lamar (http://www.originalalamo.com/Default.aspx?l=2 - broken link)
Dobie Theater on the Drag
Regional 8

In Houston, they're working on turning the Astrodome into a massive film studio.
Astrodome Studios

Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
In San Antonio I like Santikos theatres which has about 10 large stadium theatres throughout the city, the largest is the new Paladium Imax at the Rim. There is also Regal, Alamo Drafthouse and AMC stadium theaters. Then there are several historical theatres mostly downtown, but are used mostly for the arts and Broadway, and the occasional movie festival.

The Bijou

the old stuff

Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
How do you know where they're from? I find it strange how people in the city would go to Hackensack when there's movie theatres every 5 blocks in the city.
You'd probably find it strange because you didn't read the post correctly.
The theater is in a mall (Garden State Plaza) in Paramus, which a lot of NYers go to every weekend because of the "no sales tax" law. With that said, there's bound to be NYers leaking into the theater as well since it's so convenient.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Pretty much everything you list. AMC is too big, crowded, dirty, and expensive. I refuse to pay $9.50 again; especially after my last experience at AMC.
I would LOVE to pay $9.50 for a ticket. At my theater (Century Theaters 25) in the Bay Area we have to pay $10.50 during the weekdays and they raise it to $11.00 on the weekends.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City