Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, maybe your wish will come through. As you said in the downtown thread, you finally got out of DC so I'm sure you are ready for the area to fall. Sometimes wishes come true.

MD I like DC and truly wish no harm - I respond more to the lack of reality possesed by many on here (DC will grow at this reat forever and the Govt has nothing to do with it) and that I for one am tired of DC directly benefiting from the US taxpayer in a fashion more disproportionate than any time in our history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
cx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Maybe that's why the US is so much bigger and important than all of those countires?

It does it's own thing, and the way it developed is part of the reason why it trumps them all in wealth.

When Washington was a complete dump, ironically the country had never been better/healthier/richer. Now ironically with the cleaned up, European'esque govenrment bloated capital, the country is in the crapper. LOL.
FAIL!!!!!!! Our country is way bigger than them in population and land. It has nothing to do with the size of DC...LOL....are you kidding me? That is why we trump them...and news flash.....we are falling in power and fast which has more to do with Republicans always butting into everyone's business world wide instead of fixing our own problems!!!! FIghting a war on Terror which is retarded since Terror is a term you can't fight. Anybody can be a terrorist. And you can't win that war. Funny how we let in Mexicans yet send back Haitians. I wonder if a dark skin Obama would have one. I doubt it strongly.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-06-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
MD I like DC and truly wish no harm - I respond more to the lack of reality possesed by many on here (DC will grow at this reat forever and the Govt has nothing to do with it) and that I for one am tired of DC directly benefiting from the US taxpayer in a fashion more disproportionate than any time in our history
That's why you said you finally got out of here? That makes a lot of since...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Thanks for "the history lesson". Not sure what assumptions I was drawing through the Wiki list...I was just noting that it seemed like there was a lot of moving around in the early years.

Seeing as you've only been here a month, you're probably not familiar with certain histories of this forum. Unfortunately every so often (usually in Boston vs Philadelphia threads) we get to hear about how there was a political conspiracy to take the capital out of Philadelphia, etc, etc. blah blah. It's something that we've gone over several times and it's just tiresome when it gets brought up again.
haha i did not know. haha amazing. a conspiracy where all the decisions were made openly and publicly and all those with motivations to move the capital out of Philadelphia made those motivations so clear that you can read their very arguments today. haha if it was a conspiracy it wasn't a very good one.

i guess for someone people wild accusations of conspiracies are more appealing than reading a book.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM

205 posts, read 298,383 times
LOL, whatever you say.

Just don't disappear on us when DC starts entering their deflated bubble/ recession.

K?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
And your reading comprehension skills come up for debate yet again.....do you know what a super power is?

SUPER POWERS!!! OK....again.....SUPER POWERS!!!....Ok....and yet again......SUPER POWERS!!!

Can you hear me now?

OK lets see

How about Germany, Italy, China

guess you wont consider Canada a super-power

but all these listed also do not have a monolythic city as their capital or all have many cities of equal or larger importance within the countries

But go ahead MD keep spouting things that only reinforce your position and never respond on others when you are consistently proved wrong

I am still waiting for your reply to the GA Ave development from the other thread and your wildly outlandish claims there. But then again this comes from person who consistently contradicts themselve even over the course of a few minutes at times. But then again why let truth or reality get in the way of a good story...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That's why you said you finally got out of here? That makes a lot of since...

I left to go to NYC actually; a job opportunuty; then to SF and finally and am happy to back home in Philly

of the 4 you are correct in that DC would be my least favorite but i still do like DC very much and still visit often

Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I left to go to NYC actually; a job opportunuty; then to SF and finally and am happy to back home in Philly

of the 4 you are correct in that DC would be my least favorite but i still do like DC very much and still visit often
Where you left to go has nothing to do with that comment. You said...again I will repeat...you said you finally got out of DC. That doesn't sound like a place somebody likes. Just be honest here. You aren't the only one on this forum that hates DC.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Well, if you don't want the federal government to support DC, give DC independence. Make it a state and give them representation in congress. Stop regulating the city and controlling what happens in the city. Stop governing DC through the federal government. Allow DC to build whatever they want including skyscrapers. Allow DC to collect tax from all those federal agencies sitting in DC tax free!!! Give DC the right to vote for things in congress!!
DC is what DC is, a city where the federal government can operate in service of the rest of America. It shouldn't be part of any state, because as phillies2011 pointed out in his history post, combining power and money (in a normal city/state) is bound to lead to corruption (Washington knew it). This is the problem, DC has started to be one of the few booming cities in America recently because of an explosion of government. Industry is suffering, finances are suffering, most of America is suffering...except for DC...this is the problem! Government is simply an expense to life...not a benefit (except for those who are "serving").

It's not about metro systems, trendy downtowns or walkable new lifestyle centers. It's about a minimal government protecting Americans while they operate free of oppression (heavy taxes, regulations, restricted freedoms) all around the country.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
cx

FAIL!!!!!!! Our country is way bigger than them in population and land. It has nothing to do with the size of DC...LOL....are you kidding me? That is why we trump them...and news flash.....we are falling in power and fast which has more to do with Republicans always butting into everyone's business world wide instead of fixing our own problems!!!! FIghting a war on Terror which is retarded since Terror is a term you can't fight. Anybody can be a terrorist. And you can't win that war. Funny how we let in Mexicans yet send back Haitians. I wonder if a dark skin Obama would have one. I doubt it strongly.
You're missing the point. America is large because of many factors, some of which being that its prosperity allowed it to annex/purchase/steal land to become as big as it is. The point sputnikkk was pointing out was that when a government is small, its people are less restricted, less obliged with heavy taxes and is generally functioning on a more healthy level. When government is bigger, it's more interventionalist, meaning more regulations (choking private industry), more taxes (harder for businesses and citizens to live/operate) and more imposing on individual freedoms...exactly what people were trying to escape from in previous centuries. The US's current struggles aren't just coincidence, the government has been taking more from people for decades now and with less industry (another great governmental achievement), the economy is struggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City