Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Typical Denverite, always feeling the need to portray Denver as some urban utopia. A quick Google search of the Cherry Creek area reveals that there are only 8 coffee shops in the area, 3 of which are Starbucks. As for the 350 upscale shops you mentioned, you forgot to include that they're located inside the suburban style Cherry Creek Mall.

True, Denver does get some mild 70 degree weather in the middle of winter, however, it's just as common for you to get a massive snowstorm in the middle of June. Perhaps you can get to and from the mountains with relative ease on a weekday, but as far as weekends are concerned, you're facing severe traffic jams of at least 2 hours.
The Cherry Creek North district, just North of the mall has over 180 shops,galleries,restaurants all in an open air neighborhood street setting ..As far as hitting the mountains 1-70 isn't the only game in town. I have never had to travel more than an hour up 285 to hit remote mountain seclusion..Never ever,weekends ect...Maybe you Hate Denver, and had horrible experiences living there, and I understand Denver is not for every one.. however not everyone's idea of paradise is a gritty urban setting.
Denver's surrounding geography coupled with year round outdoor recreation/ endurance athletic climate probably has something to do with someone like myself at 42 physically out performing most 20 year olds in most other metro regions. Is Denver an urban utopia? Not really, but it's a mecca for the fit, attractive, and educated. You want the best urban settings,,head to places like LA, Chicago, NYC..but it's laughable to compare them to Denver when discussing their closest proximity to getting away from it all options..FYI..I live in Boulder now not Denverite, and can get away from it all within less than 15 minutes from my door step. To deny the Denver metro area isn't among the top larger cities in the US that you can escape to get away from it all within reason is just ignorant.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-17-2009 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
The bay area is very rural. From most directions you can get into the boonies very easily. North SF is Marin, very rural. South of San Jose is a vast swath of aggland, same goes for the east bay and the north. If you travel at night, from most points in the bay you can be in open country in less than 45 mintues.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
I don't understand why people underestimate LA when it comes to 'getting away from it all'. The Santa Monica mountains, the Santa Susana mountains, the Verdugo Hills, and the San Gabriel mountains were all literally a 10-15 minute drive from me in the San Fernando Valley. I used to bike from my house in North Hollywood to the hills overlooking Burbank within 30 minutes. Once on top of those hills, there really wasn't anyone there.

The Angeles National Forest has many campsites and trails that have no people on them for miles. Millions and millions of people aren't there either.

However, I will admit that nature isn't on most people's mind when they visit LA. However, I think its an underrated aspect of the city. After all, how many cities have a mountain range bisecting it? (The Santa Monica Mountains)

Although, I gotta admit that after living in the Bay Area, the extreme between urbanity and nature is more stark here, and more accessible to most people living within the Bay Area (as opposed to living in San Pedro trying to go mountain hiking in the Angeles National Forest).

Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I can't disagree that LA is surrounded by nature and lots of it. There are 10,000+ foot high mountains within an hours drive. Even Orange County has a 5,600+ foot high peak.

Then there are all the forests, creeks and lakes. There is a lot of wilderness in the LA/OC area. My point was that there are always other people there.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Boston?

I think Boston's very easy to get away from. It has tons of beaches and woodlands within a few miles of downtown. In fact, within the city limits you have a good number of beaches. Just outside you have even more. Blue Hills State reservation (pictured below) has a ski area and tons of hiking trails just outside the city limits. Boston is also within an hour of other ski areas and state forests and parks. Just a little bit further you have the White Mountains of New Hampshire as well as the Berkshires, Maine's coast and mountains and Rhode Island's coast (as well as Cape Cod and the Islands).

Boston's public transit network makes it super easy for those without vehicles to get away too. There is a train to Maine (the Downeaster), a Ski Train, ferries to Cape Cod, and currently in the works is a Train to New Bedford which will give Bostonians car free access to the Islands. There's also rail and bus service to the Berkshires. The local commuter rail network goes to all sorts of seaside hamlets like Newburyport, Manchester, Salem, Plymouth, Hingham, etc.

View from Blue Hills:

Boston has to be among the better cities in terms of being able to get away from it all.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Where is Portland, Oregon in this discussion??

Within 90 minutes you can be in pure wilderness, the coast, and Mount Hood, and in 30 minutes you can be at a vineyard or out towards the Coast Range or at Multnomah Falls or in small towns or farmland. Thank you Urban Growth Boundary!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:34 AM

271 posts, read 657,475 times
Actually Portland, OR was brought up somewhere...a few pages back

Stay east or south and it's great but avoid going north into Washington to avoid the Portland-Seattle "slog"

Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Where is Portland, Oregon in this discussion??

Within 90 minutes you can be in pure wilderness, the coast, and Mount Hood, and in 30 minutes you can be at a vineyard or out towards the Coast Range or at Multnomah Falls or in small towns or farmland. Thank you Urban Growth Boundary!
I agree Portland has it all in terms of natural beauty, and a variety of choices to get away from it all. Very nice part of the country indeed.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
From Boston you can be in the mountains of Vemont or New Hampshirein two hours, the beaches of Maine and Cape Cod in 90 minutes... There is alot of natural beauty in New England within a few hours from Boston.

Most California cities would fall in that category as well, also Seattle, Portland. The Northwest is my second favorite region,a great partof the country for outdoors activities.

What I hated most about Chicago when I moved there from Boston was there was basically nowhere to go if I wanted to get out of the city. I felt totally trapped.
Pretty much sums it up for me

Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What I hated most about Chicago when I moved there from Boston was there was basically nowhere to go if I wanted to get out of the city. I felt totally trapped.
Sorry, but I don't buy this. If you wanted to get away from Chicago, then why didn't you just drive up to Wisconsin or Michigan like every other resident of Chicagoland? You can be surrounded by nothing but dense hardwood forests and glacial lakes within a 2 hour drive from Chicago. There's even a ferry that takes you from Milwaukee across the Lake to Western Michigan's orchard country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City