Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best all around quality of life?
Houston 25 36.23%
Austin 20 28.99%
Pittsburgh 16 23.19%
I refuse to participate. CD polls are pointless. 8 11.59%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Pittsburgh has 4 seasons. The winters in Pittsburgh are not sub-zero daily! And you do get a lot of moderate temps during the winter, especially compared to Texas's long and relentless summers! It's not like you get 70 degree temps in Texas summers, like you'll get 40 or 50 degree temps during some winter days in Pittsburgh.

It's always a lot easier to be comfortable outside during a Pittsburgh winter (just dress for it), as opposed to being outside during the summer in Texas (being naked won't even cool you off ).

Plus, where would most people rather be during xmas?
There is plenty to do when it's hot out, it's not like people sit there and absorb the sun, and do nothing fun. And in Texas it's not like it's 100 degrees daily, and they do have 4 seasons in Texas, I remember there being ice storms in Austin during the winter every other year. Don't make it seem like everybody is just cool with cold weather, and hot weather is miserable for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
But still, you saying that Austin has more "culture" than Pittsburgh than Pittsburgh ain't accurate. And it's safe to say that Pittsburgh's history and contribution to America has been well documented. Men like Andrew Carnegie defined the "industrial revolution in America", and Pittsburgh was right at the center of all of it.

Where was the first modern day baseball field ever built? Pittsburgh.
Where was the first World Series ever played? Pittsburgh
And the first World Series 'night game' played? Pittsburgh
Where was the first 'pro-football' game ever played? Pittsburgh
Where was the first gas station ever? Pittsburgh
Where was the first movie theature? Pittsburgh
Where was the first double organ transplant done? Pittsburgh
The list goes on......

Pittsburgh in many ways, defined what "middle-class" America is. The daily struggles and battles of the 'working man', where often fought in Pittsburgh.

I'm not saying that Austin or Houston are void of "culture". But Pittsburgh does have "culture", and I'd say more than those other two cities. Andy Warhol's (native Pittsburgh'er) musuem in Pittsburgh, has more sought after art than in Austin or Houston I bet....

P.S. Austin doesn't even have a pro football team. So they can't comment on such things.

Pittsburgh not only won the Super Bowl last year, the Penguin's also won the Stanley Cup!...There's a reason we're called the "City of Champions".....
Jeez. No one in Austin cares about pro sports. It's all about college sports ithere. That's why they will probably not get a pro team for a while because no one cares.

I doubt that Pittsburgh has a better art scene or art museums than Houston. Have you ever been to any of the museums in Houston and Austin? Do you know for a fact that Pittsburgh has more sought after art than Houston and Austin or are you just guessing? An Andy Warhol museum sounds pretty cool but you can also find some of his works in Houston a well. They have a Warhol's at the Manil and I'm sure a few others. In addition, you can also find pieces by Picosso, Rothko, Rene Margitte, Dali, Dunchamp, ancient art from Rome, Egypt, and Greece, Byzantine and Roman Catholic art, pre 20th century African art, just to name a few. The museum itself is also one of the most prestigious works of world renowned Parisian architect, Renzo Piano (also designed the New York Times Building and the Pompidou Centre). Beautiful museum and neighborhood if you ever make it out to Houston BTW. And that is JUST ONE museum in Houston. You also have about... I don't know... 20 or so more in the area.

I'm sure the Pittsburgh has some great museums and some really cool cultural aspects, but over all, most people would probably not agree that Pittsburgh has more culture than Austin much less Houston. How about SXSW, Austin City Limits, Austin Film Fest, Troublemaker Studios, and the list goes on and on. Do I need to make a list of all of the film makers and musicians who have come from Austin? Do I need to list all of the festivals that take place in Austin?

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-24-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

I think he means pop. culture, because their is no way, no how, that Austin can beat Houston when it comes to the arts.
Yeah I was. Even in current, Houston would still have a better scene than Austin, but I think Austin has a much better art scene than most people in Texas realize. I've been very impressed with every exhibit I've seen in Austin. That was my point.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Unless you listen to Rap or Country, Houston's music scene is pretty bad. It's getting better though, I will give you that. I would say Austin's film and music scene is another thing the city has going for it. Music and film is a BIG deal in Austin right now. Supposedly one in every five people living in the central Austin are in the music or film business, or so "they" say.
I'm not a fan of rap or country so I don't know. I do like Blue October and ZZ Top (oldie but goodie.)
I don't think it's as bad as you say.

Houston also ranks something like 3rd in the country for number of working artists. It's way up there. Of course, most people probably have no idea because most Houstonians don't usually brag this all over the place.

Quote:
As for the arts, Houston is hands down has best theater, museum, and art scene in Texas, but Austin's no slouch. I've seen some of the works that have come from the local artist in Austin. You would be surprised the kind of young talent that is in Austin right now for art, design, film, and music. As for sports, I would rather go to UT football game than any team in Houston (except for maybe UH) and I think many Texans would agree with me. Although, I will say that Astro games are pretty fun.
Austin has some fine stuff, but it can't touch Houston on performing arts, fine arts or museums. Houston's theater district and museum district are a few of the largest in the country; I don't think Austin even has real districts for these.

As far as sports, college vs pro sports is a preference. Houston has both (UH, Rice); Austin doesn't. As lame as the Texans (NFL team) might be sometimes, I recently read Houston won tops in the country for best NFL tailgate parties.

Quote:
True true. Houston is a very underrated city and has as much to offer as Austin. I agree with you on that, so no need to argue with me about how Houston is "misunderstood." Although, Austin is still a great town. Give credit where credit is due.
I will agree that Houston has just as much to offer as Austin, but will go further and say it offers even more for those who care to look for it instead of having it flashed in their faces. "Coolness" isn't always published and pushed in Houston, but that's what makes it actually cool. Austin flaunts its supposed weirdness, but how much more weird can you get than a major city with no formal zoning (Houston)? Instead of outsiders embracing that "weirdness" they criticize it. Would never happen in Austin's case. And it's not that I can't give credit where it's do for Austin. I just think it's a little overrated and overhyped in general, and so do a few others apparently. Maybe we just don't "get it" or maybe it's just not our style. I enjoyed my time living there, but eventually got bored and felt Austin to be too much on the small and one-faceted side for me. Sorry, don't mean to offend.

Quote:
Austin also has some great museums, theaters, art galleries, etc.
I've never been the least impressed with Austin's museums. There was a recent thread in the Austin forum where several were saying the same thing.
The other thing with Austin is that a lot of this kind of culture revolves around the university, and takes place on or near campus.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heck yeah, I'm a BIG UT fan. I smell the National Championship.
I think it's UT's year.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
But still, you saying that Austin has more "culture" than Pittsburgh than Pittsburgh ain't accurate. And it's safe to say that Pittsburgh's history and contribution to America has been well documented. Men like Andrew Carnegie defined the "industrial revolution in America", and Pittsburgh was right at the center of all of it.

Where was the first modern day baseball field ever built? Pittsburgh.
Where was the first World Series ever played? Pittsburgh
And the first World Series 'night game' played? Pittsburgh
Where was the first 'pro-football' game ever played? Pittsburgh
Where was the first gas station ever? Pittsburgh
Where was the first movie theature? Pittsburgh
Where was the first double organ transplant done? Pittsburgh
The list goes on......

Pittsburgh in many ways, defined what "middle-class" America is. The daily struggles and battles of the 'working man', where often fought in Pittsburgh.

I'm not saying that Austin or Houston are void of "culture". But Pittsburgh does have "culture", and I'd say more than those other two cities. Andy Warhol's (native Pittsburgh'er) musuem in Pittsburgh, has more sought after art than in Austin or Houston I bet....

P.S. Austin doesn't even have a pro football team. So they can't comment on such things.

Pittsburgh not only won the Super Bowl last year, the Penguin's also won the Stanley Cup!...There's a reason we're called the "City of Champions".....
Houston has a lot of culture AND history, and a lot of firsts, as well. Trust me. Though, im sure Pittsburgh is great.

Just some immediate things that pop into mind: San Jacinto Monument and Battlefield. NASA. Texas Medical Center. Astrodome. A/C. Energy Capital of the World.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I'm not a fan of rap or country so I don't know. I do like Blue October and ZZ Top (oldie but goodie.)
I don't think it's as bad as you say.
I can't stand Blue October. ZZ Top is good but they're not really current. The Houston scene is getting better. The problem has been that most of the good up and coming bands have ditched Houston for Austin. I believe even Blue October is based out of Austin now (I can't remember where I read that). Quite a few of the musicians in Austin are from Houston. It's getting better though. It seems like many of music talent in Houston is starting to stick out and stay here. Hopefully that trend continues. I keep up with all the music stuff, especially in the independent world.

Really, film is more exciting to talk about in Houston right now than music. Have you heard they're turning the Astrodome into a massive indoor movie studio? So we have an internationally renowned art scene, a developing film scene, and the music scene will come all in due time.

Quote:
Houston also ranks something like 3rd in the country for number of working artists. It's way up there. Of course, most people probably have no idea because most Houstonians don't usually brag this all over the place.
Wow. That's cool. Didn't know that. I know Houston is normally considered one of the top 5 cities in the country of art. I wasn't trying to say that Austin was on par with Houston's arts, museums, and theaters, I was just saying the artist and museums there are better than you make them out to be.

The fact that Houston has a really big art scene is a good sign, a really really good sign. That means we have quite the developing creative class which also means that the others will follow.

Quote:
Austin has some fine stuff, but it can't touch Houston on performing arts, fine arts or museums. Houston's theater district and museum district are a few of the largest in the country; I don't think Austin even has real districts for these.
Austin has downtown which is the bulk of most of the cultural aspects of the city.

Quote:
As far as sports, college vs pro sports is a preference. Houston has both (UH, Rice); Austin doesn't. As lame as the Texans (NFL team) might be sometimes, I recently read Houston won tops in the country for best NFL tailgate parties.
It depends on what you like really. NFL tickets are too expensive for me. UH is an exciting team to watch this year, but Rice... not so much.

Quote:
I will agree that Houston has just as much to offer as Austin, but will go further and say it offers even more for those who care to look for it instead of having it flashed in their faces. "Coolness" isn't always published and pushed in Houston, but that's what makes it actually cool. Austin flaunts its supposed weirdness, but how much more weird can you get than a major city with no formal zoning (Houston)? Instead of outsiders embracing that "weirdness" they criticize it. Would never happen in Austin's case. And it's not that I can't give credit where it's do for Austin. I just think it's a little overrated and overhyped in general, and so do a few others apparently. Maybe we just don't "get it" or maybe it's just not our style. I enjoyed my time living there, but eventually got bored and felt Austin to be too much on the small and one-faceted side for me. Sorry, don't mean to offend.
Austin is pretty small and that's one of the biggest advantages Houston has over Austin is its size IMO. Austin is a town best suited for young people, music people, film people, hipsters, college students, families (I spent part of my childhood in Austin so I'll stand by that it's a very good place for families), and I guess hippies. It seems the Californians that move to Austin seem to really like it as well. I guess if you don't fit into one of those categories, it can be easy to not "get" Austin.

Quote:
I've never been the least impressed with Austin's museums. There was a recent thread in the Austin forum where several were saying the same thing.
The other thing with Austin is that a lot of this kind of culture revolves around the university, and takes place on or near campus.
Have you gone to the museums in Austin recently? I toured a few of the museums in 2007 and found some pretty cool stuff. Maybe I just happened to be there when they had some really cool exhibits.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-24-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
The problem has been that most of the good up and coming bands have ditched Houston for Austin.
Where did you hear that? I'm not saying it isn't true, because I really don't know, but that's the first I've heard of that.
If for any reason, I think more young people from Houston end up in Austin because of UT, since it's the biggest state school.

Quote:
It depends on what you like really. NFL tickets are too expensive for me. UH is an exciting team to watch this year, but Rice... not so much.
Rice has always been stronger in baseball.

Quote:
Austin is pretty small and that's one of the biggest advantages Houston has over Austin is its size IMO. Austin is a town best suited for young people, music people, film people, hipsters, college students, families (I spent part of my childhood in Austin so I'll stand by that it's a very good place for families), and I guess hippies. It seems the Californians that move to Austin seem to really like it as well. I guess if you don't fit into one of those categories, it can be easy to not "get" Austin.
Probably. Although I still think Houston has the neighborhoods that would suit all of those types (Montrose, Midtown, etc... and the Rice U area for college students.) I could see how you'd be a little biased toward Austin, and miss it some, if you grew up some there.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Where did you hear that? I'm not saying it isn't true, because I really don't know, but that's the first I've heard of that.
I think more young people from Houston end up in Austin because of UT, since it's the biggest state school.

Rice has always been stronger in baseball.

Probably. Although I still think Houston has the neighborhoods that would suit all of those types (Montrose, Midtown, etc... and the Rice U area for college students.) I could see how you'd be a little biased toward Austin, and miss it some, if you grew up some there.
I doubt he's being biased. Austin is very huge for film and live music. You have people flocking from all over the country; moving to Austin to get their start in the entertainment industry. If Houston could attract more media here; you'd have lots of people staying here instead of leaving for other cities to seek fame. The Astrodome would be a great start.

At this point; Houston is very big for hip hop music. I'd say probably top 5 in the country. I've met so many rappers and singers here in Houston who have come from all over. Lots of people say Atlanta is the hip hop capital for the south, but Houston can hold it's own. Houston has international recognition for its underground scene.

I know of quite a few artist who left Houston for Austin.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I doubt he's being biased. Austin is very huge for film and live music. You have people flocking from all over the country; moving to Austin to get their start in the entertainment industry. If Houston could attract more media here; you'd have lots of people staying here instead of leaving for other cities to seek fame. The Astrodome would be a great start.

At this point; Houston is very big for hip hop music. I'd say probably top 5 in the country. I've met so many rappers and singers here in Houston who have come from all over. Lots of people say Atlanta is the hip hop capital for the south, but Houston can hold it's own. Houston has international recognition for its underground scene.

I know of quite a few artist who left Houston for Austin.
In hip-hop? I've heard of this trend for rock, but for hip-hop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City