Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best all around quality of life?
Houston 25 36.23%
Austin 20 28.99%
Pittsburgh 16 23.19%
I refuse to participate. CD polls are pointless. 8 11.59%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmdal View Post
I have to admit that people were saying exactly the same things when I first moved to Austin in 1977. Austin has been on the verge of being permanently spoiled by developers and losing all its character since at least the 1960s, depending on who you listen to. Runoff from Barton Creek Square was going to destroy Barton Springs Pool. Double-decking The Interregional was going to bring 18-wheelers into people's living rooms. Moving the airport to Manor was going to destroy some lizard's habitat. On the other hand, South Congress was a dead slum instead of the vibrant bohemia it has become, and jetliners no longer take off a few hundred feet above Hyde Park (I could look out a plane window and identify my neighbors in their parking lot.) So maybe Austin will become the biggest "wierd" city in the country.
Yeah I thought the Austin traffic was bad until I moved to Houston. I'm sure most people New York, Boston, or LA wouldn't think much of the Austin traffic. The city is changing for better or worse, but don't think fighting growth is help. I do like the new and developing urban neighborhoods downtown. I love the music and film scene. Austin still has a strong and growing creative class. SoCo would be another example of good things that have happened/are happening in the city. I think some times people focus on all the negative aspects brought by growth and change and forget about the positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
FWIW, I grew up in Houston and *choose* to live in Pgh, even after this very first winter for me ever. On the over-all list in the original email, Pgh wins for outdoor recreation. Summer in Pgh vs summer in HOU -- no contest. Snow in Pgh you can sweep; snow in Hou = PANIC big time. Pgh's neighborhoods are fantastic. No other city I've ever lived in can hold a candle. Also the culture in Pgh compares well to both Austin and Hou.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamFPgh View Post
FWIW, I grew up in Houston and *choose* to live in Pgh, even after this very first winter for me ever. On the over-all list in the original email, Pgh wins for outdoor recreation. Summer in Pgh vs summer in HOU -- no contest. Snow in Pgh you can sweep; snow in Hou = PANIC big time. Pgh's neighborhoods are fantastic. No other city I've ever lived in can hold a candle. Also the culture in Pgh compares well to both Austin and Hou.
Let's be real. The reason why Houston panics is because they rarely see it. Pittsburgh easily has a better summer to most. Houston easily has a better winter to most. You can sweep the snow, but most of it still lingers and many of it ices up.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,600 times
Pittsburgh.
Beauty, history, culture and another renaissance

Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Wait what?

Okay if you like big cities then- Houston

I don't think Houston should even be in this thread because it's very massive compared to Pittsburgh and Austin.

For the two smaller cities: Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City