Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,062 times

Advertisements

No contest. SF! I've been to every large american city. Houston and Dallas feel like someone just decided to plan high rises because they wanted to be like a dense metropolis but they look totally out of place with the entirely suburban city planning and space use of the regions. Pancake parking lots and then glass scrapers for no apparent reason. Not impressive at all and I was looking forward to visiting. Left pretty bemused. Austin is more cosmopolitan and big city with it's tiny structures. Dallas is gaudy and looks like a PC gamer case with all those bling lights. Houston thinks it is too cool for school because it incorporated the entire region so it can claim "big city" status. Texas cities are trying too hard. They have plenty of land to sprawl on, are not too concerned about environmental effects doing so, and take pride in "everything is bigger" attitude. No need to poseur around with tall buildings. Especially since within like 8 blocks of downtown you have single story family homes. I don't see the point.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
See what I'm talking about, folks....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabothausian View Post
No contest. SF! I've been to every large american city. Houston and Dallas feel like someone just decided to plan high rises because they wanted to be like a dense metropolis but they look totally out of place with the entirely suburban city planning and space use of the regions. Pancake parking lots and then glass scrapers for no apparent reason. Not impressive at all and I was looking forward to visiting. Left pretty bemused. Austin is more cosmopolitan and big city with it's tiny structures. Dallas is gaudy and looks like a PC gamer case with all those bling lights. Houston thinks it is too cool for school because it incorporated the entire region so it can claim "big city" status. Texas cities are trying too hard. They have plenty of land to sprawl on, are not too concerned about environmental effects doing so, and take pride in "everything is bigger" attitude. No need to poseur around with tall buildings. Especially since within like 8 blocks of downtown you have single story family homes. I don't see the point.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,060,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Which by Texas standards is about an inch.
Culture is also severely lacking compared to San Francisco, and climate-wise it's not even a contest. San Francisco is better than Dallas year round as far as weather goes.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
See what I'm talking about, folks....?
JJG I know, I do my best and try to ignore them.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM

979 posts, read 2,081,581 times
Dallas has some amazing buildings but it does not have the density nor the urbanity that San Francisco has. SF is a very unique, cosmopolitan city, a metropolis on the international stage. If we're looking at who has the better skyscrapers then perhaps Dallas wins. Skyline-wise San Francisco can not be matched - especially when you factor the hills, steep streets, Coit Tower, Cable Car, the density in the Financial District, and our famous bridges. San Francisco is a mini NYC. The topography can not be beat.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 9,827,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thabothausian View Post
Wow! That's a lie.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 AM

39 posts, read 49,516 times
I thought this was a skyline thread but I see a lot of people talking about how many thing SF has over Dallas instead of skylines. Really? do you people just have to point out why this city is God's gift to the US and everywhere else isn't.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmidtown View Post
Here's the truth: 99.9% of San Franciscans never think about Dallas, TX. And they wouldn't care if it had 10X more skyscrapers. Which is why this thread was started by someone from the Dallas area and not SF. Dallas is a fine city in it's own right but it's just not in the same category as San Francisco and it never will be no matter how many shiny skyscrapers they erect.
But its about the skyline. San Francisco has all the beauty around it but it still doesn't make up for the lackluster skyscrapers. Driving into SF from any direction is pretty but it might as well be in black and white. When I'm walking around dt SF the only skyscraper I actually stop and marvel at is the Pyrimad. When I'm walking around dt Dallas I definately stop and admire many of its skyscrapers; bold, colorful and beauutiful. I love San Francisco but its skyline is not one of my favorites

Old 07-31-2012, 02:09 AM

979 posts, read 2,081,581 times
Doesn't matter how many towers Dallas has or how their skyline is modern, the fact is skyscrapers don't make a city. Rather it is the built environment, the culture, its people, and San Francisco washes the floor over Dallas in that criterion.

Even in a skyline debate, San Francisco has the more dominate cityscape that very few cities in the world could match.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Doesn't matter how many towers Dallas has or how their skyline is modern, the fact is skyscrapers don't make a city. Rather it is the built environment, the culture, its people, and San Francisco washes the floor over Dallas in that criterion.

Even in a skyline debate, San Francisco has the more dominate cityscape that very few cities in the world could match.

Just can't stay on topic, can you? No matter what, someone always just HAS to bring up what's irrelevant to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City