Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times

Advertisements

SF's skyline is best viewed from 101 North when you pass Potrero Hill. It's more imposing when fronted by other, shorter buildings as opposed to water. I doubt there's a pic available because people rarely stop to photo on the freeway.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
No, not in the world. Bay area is second to NYC in the nation. NYC isn't even first for billionaires in the world. Anyway I voted SF but I like Dallas "shiny" buildings and architectural design. I think the night pics of SF with the rolling clouds/fog and the bridges influenced my decision
Just out of curiosity, where are there more than metro NYC? I wasn't aware of this.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
SF's skyline is best viewed from 101 North when you pass Potrero Hill. It's more imposing when fronted by other, shorter buildings as opposed to water. I doubt there's a pic available because people rarely stop to photo on the freeway.
Yeah I really like that view a lot too. I know some people who prefer how it looks heading north on 280, but I think the 101 and the Bay Bridge views are the nicest.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
No, not in the world. Bay area is second to NYC in the nation. NYC isn't even first for billionaires in the world. Anyway I voted SF but I like Dallas "shiny" buildings and architectural design. I think the night pics of SF with the rolling clouds/fog and the bridges influenced my decision
if that's the case, i don't see it

Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM

198 posts, read 653,995 times
So wait, first this thread is started with the best picture someone could find of Dallas
Followed by the least dense, worst skyline picture of SF ive ever seen.
Someone floods this thread with Dallas skyline pictures that all look the same.
Gets smoked by rah's post, so now they are flooding this thread with YouTube videos?
At 3pm your parked on a San Francisco freeway.

Get over it, SF is a heavyweight, 2nd highest density in the country.
You cannot compare mountains, ocean, bay area and a monster skyline with..
Flat, suburban, mediocre skyline with a pretty green neon light.
Just SF with the Golden Gate trick-slaps Dallas followed with a ughhh! and what.

San Diego would be the only city of the CA big 3 Dallas can show up.
San Francisco gives you that "Damn, im in a giant city" feeling.
SF has neon lights also, but SF offers something Dallas cannot.
Around the clock shade and with some serious density.

Hmmm... gorgeous..

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/07/15/ed-ggbridge16_ph_0498430959.jpg (broken link)

Chew on these apples..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
So wait, first this thread is started with the best picture someone could find of Dallas
Followed by the least dense, worst skyline picture of SF ive ever seen.
Someone floods this thread with Dallas skyline pictures that all look the same.
Gets smoked by rah's post, so now they are flooding this thread with YouTube videos?
At 3pm your parked on a San Francisco freeway.

Get over it, SF is a heavyweight, 2nd highest density in the country.
You cannot compare mountains, ocean, bay area and a monster skyline with..
Flat, suburban, mediocre skyline with a pretty green neon light.
Just SF with the Golden Gate trick-slaps Dallas followed with a ughhh! and what.

San Diego would be the only city of the CA big 3 Dallas can show up.
San Francisco gives you that "Damn, im in a giant city" feeling.
SF has neon lights also, but SF offers something Dallas cannot.
Around the clock shade and with some serious density.

Hmmm... gorgeous..

Chew on these apples..
We are talking about skylines not bridges, mountains, hills, etc.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM

198 posts, read 653,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
We are talking about skylines not bridges, mountains, hills, etc.

Unfortunately, you can see the SF skyline from 3 bay area bridges.
One is a national landmark, this makes an amazing view.
I understand, Texas is flat, outside of the skyline there is almost nothing to see.
The Bay Area is mountains, downtown SF is built on a bigger hill than Dallas can see within the horizon, so the rest of the city kinda goes with the skyline.
Being Downtown is on the water, the bay kind of goes with that also.

But I understand your point of view, dont give SF anymore advantages being it is already murdering Dallas 2/1 in this thread, no hard feelings.. lets just stick to the buildings from the 10th story up

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
Unfortunately, you can see the SF skyline from 3 bay area bridges.
One is a national landmark, this makes an amazing view.
I understand, Texas is flat, outside of the skyline there is almost nothing to see.
The Bay Area is mountains, downtown SF is built on a bigger hill than Dallas can see within the horizon, so the rest of the city kinda goes with the skyline.
Being Downtown is on the water, the bay kind of goes with that also.

But I understand your point of view, dont give SF anymore advantages being it is already murdering Dallas 2/1 in this thread, no hard feelings.. lets just stick to the buildings from the 10th story up
Texas is not flat! There are large mountains in West Texas. If we was comparing the skyline only Dallas would win!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Texas is not flat! There are large mountains in West Texas. If we was comparing the skyline only Dallas would win!
In your opinion Dallas would win...but apparently most people disagree with you. And we are comparing skyline only (which is larger in SF compared to Dallas), but if people can't help but notice and like SF's natural setting at the same time as the skyline, who cares? It's not like you can look at SF's skyline without noticing the natural setting, and It's not Dallas's fault it wasn't built in an area as geographically beautiful as SF was. The Dallas skyline has it's advantages (lots of nice shiny glass towers)...let SF take it's own as well (denser, more towers than Dallas, and a beautiful backdrop to top it off).

Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
In a comparison of just the skylines itself if you took out the background of each city. The SF skyline does have some bulk but is boring in comparison to Dallas. The physical scenery in Cali is beautiful but Texas has beautiful areas too and I personally like the rolling prairies that Dallas is in. It has a feeling of the great american frontier. Theres something special about having a huge area like DFW in the middle of the prairie. Its a symbol of the prosperity and progress americans wanted when they went to the wild west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City