Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times

Advertisements

San Francisco.

SF isn't really noted for its tall buildings and, for being America's most photogenic city, they sure aren't anything special as architectural statements. The only exception is the Transamerica Pyramid. It's the signature high-rise. The BofA tower on California, with its setbacks as it goes higher, isn't bad. The others around the Embarcadero and near Montgomery Street are fairly vanilla.

However, there's that new tower in SOMA close to the descent of the Bay Bridge which is pretty nice. I believe it's a residential high rise. Therefore, other interesting ones ought to be forthcoming.

The only notable buildings on Dallas's skyline are Reunion Tower, which relies on the sphere and lights, for its appeal and the IM Pei triangular shaped one (is that City Hall?).

Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
San Francisco.

SF isn't really noted for its tall buildings and, for being America's most photogenic city, they sure aren't anything special as architectural statements. The only exception is the Transamerica Pyramid. It's the signature high-rise. The BofA tower on California, with its setbacks as it goes higher, isn't bad. The others around the Embarcadero and near Montgomery Street are fairly vanilla.

However, there's that new tower in SOMA close to the descent of the Bay Bridge which is pretty nice. I believe it's a residential high rise. Therefore, other interesting ones ought to be forthcoming.

The only notable buildings on Dallas's skyline are Reunion Tower, which relies on the sphere and lights, for its appeal and the IM Pei triangular shaped one (is that City Hall?).
There's also the BOA Tower (Dallas tallest building) as well. However when I think of
San Francisco I think of the golden gate bridge which is a masterpiece even if it's a bridge.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
San Francisco.

Ok, without actually posting the photos here, other signature, unique towers besides Fountain Place (NOT city hall) and Reunion.

- BoA Plaza: Tallest, different stepback/zigzag designs, green neon lighting, 3 different profiles from different angles
- Comerica Bank Tower: Barrel vaults and setbacks
- Renaissance Tower: X patterned glass/lighting and 5 structures with diamonds on top.
- Chase Tower: Red granite, Texas Pink granite, glass vault top and "keyhole" with zigzag design.
- Trammell Crow: Neo art deco style protruding triangular shaped pattern on facade, large bay widows and pyramid on top
- Museum Tower (new): Modern all-glass oval design (not a very common site for DFW skyscrapes), 2nd tallest all residential building in the city.
- Mercantile National Bank Complex: Notable spire (lit in the way of a Christmas Tree during holiday season), classic art deco style/setback design, art deco clock on top
- Omni Hotel (new): short, but disticntive because of it's L-shape and lighting.

Again, Dallas may not have the scenery, but as far as individual buildings go, San Fran is beat. I just don't see how you could argue that. There's even more, shorter buildings that hold their own in Uptown. It goes beyond just downtown.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM

342 posts, read 449,932 times
San Francisco!

All props to Dallas, it has a great skyline but I wouldn't consider it in the top 5 of the U.S. Definitely in the top 10 or 15. I really enjoy driving and walking through the city, especially in the museum district.

However, everybody is saying San Francisco just isn't much without the natural setting. I would have to counter that San Francisco makes the natural setting that much more beautiful. Once one has viewed the city from the north side of the bridge near Sausalito, the city really seems special, fantastic, and unique. The skyline has a nice flow to it that rolls with the hills and is white-colored, which gives it kind of a jeweled glow. The vibe of the city can be felt from across the harbor. The natural setting, which would otherwise be spectacular is made into world-class sight seeing due to the effect the city has by residing on and around the hills, harbor, and the low coast range mountains. It is one of my favorite views on earth of an urban area.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,248 times
Really? Easily San Fransisco!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Really? Easily San Fransisco!
Really? .... is the "Really" and "Easily" necessarry?

Last edited by JJG; 05-18-2012 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Really? .... is the "Really" and "Easily" necessarry?
Well, if he wants to communicate his surprise that other people think Dallas's skyline would be better than SF's, then I think his sentence makes sense.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 PM

419 posts, read 993,884 times
Other than that triangular building SF has and it's natural settings, what's so great about it's skyline??

Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Other than that triangular building SF has and it's natural settings, what's so great about it's skyline??

"Triangular building" lol, good one.

Dallas has some great building, but SF has the scale/density and size.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...ccdee1a7_o.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...mozfan/SF3.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM

419 posts, read 993,884 times
SF has 1 unique building the rest I'm not really impressed with, it does have great scenery, but skyline wise Dallas has a better one to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City