Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 PM

79 posts, read 92,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I personally don't think a skyline makes a city. However, skylines are only found in cities that are important (regionally or Worldwide). Downtown office space is not a good measure IMO. Just in my state alone, the downtown office space of the state's largest city (Charlotte) is nearly 4 times larger than the downtown office space of the state's second largest city (Raleigh). Charlotte is by NO MEANS 4 times larger (or important) than Raleigh. Much of Raleigh's importance comes from a suburban office park in neighboring Durham county and the area's three major universities (Duke, Chapel Hill, and NC State).

Some may say that Charlotte is more of a "real" city. Heck, I have said it myself from time to time. However, Raleigh is just as "real" as a city with tons of skyscrapers and offices. Raleigh is a perfect example of the how US cities are no longer being built in the traditional sense of the word "city". The next wave of important US cities will be VERY suburban with little mass transit and skyscrapers to speak of. This much just seems to be the growing trend in America.
Wishful thinking, but that will never be the case...unless a natural disaster wipes out NYC, SF, LA, DC and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
Wishful thinking, but that will never be the case...unless a natural disaster wipes out NYC, SF, LA, DC and Chicago.
What do you mean?That their will be no mpre important cities as those you mentioned or do you mean they will be very suburban with little mass trasit?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I personally don't think a skyline makes a city. However, skylines are only found in cities that are important (regionally or Worldwide). Downtown office space is not a good measure IMO. Just in my state alone, the downtown office space of the state's largest city (Charlotte) is nearly 4 times larger than the downtown office space of the state's second largest city (Raleigh). Charlotte is by NO MEANS 4 times larger (or important) than Raleigh. Much of Raleigh's importance comes from a suburban office park in neighboring Durham county and the area's three major universities (Duke, Chapel Hill, and NC State).

Some may say that Charlotte is more of a "real" city. Heck, I have said it myself from time to time. However, Raleigh is just as "real" as a city with tons of skyscrapers and offices. Raleigh is a perfect example of the how US cities are no longer being built in the traditional sense of the word "city". The next wave of important US cities will be VERY suburban with little mass transit and skyscrapers to speak of. This much just seems to be the growing trend in America.
This may seem that way right now, but I don't think it will last. I don't care about the skyscraper part because that doesn't matter, but the urbanity does. People will start to go back to more urbanized cities or will start pushing for it. It will always work out that way in the end. Look at NYC, SF, Chicago. These are major cities with density and urbanity and despite their troubles are still standing relatively strong. I know that there are a lot of cities that lack these qualities(and many are doing a great job of acquiring them too) and some of these cities are just as big or are just growing and such, but when it comes down to it I believe at least a good, dense, strong urban core is needed to have cities actually endure the pressures to come. Even these supposedly more suburban big cities are starting to push for more urbanity.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
This may seem that way right now, but I don't think it will last. I don't care about the skyscraper part because that doesn't matter, but the urbanity does. People will start to go back to more urbanized cities or will start pushing for it. It will always work out that way in the end. Look at NYC, SF, Chicago. These are major cities with density and urbanity and despite their troubles are still standing relatively strong. I know that there are a lot of cities that lack these qualities(and many are doing a great job of acquiring them too) and some of these cities are just as big or are just growing and such, but when it comes down to it I believe at least a good, dense, strong urban core is needed to have cities actually endure the pressures to come. Even these supposedly more suburban big cities are starting to push for more urbanity.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 36,625 times
You could also discuss cities like Pittsburgh which have a number of skyscrapers that date back to when the city was more influential on the national level than it is now, before the major corporations that built those skyscrapers moved out of them to the suburbs or were merged out of existence. Is Pittsburgh now a less important city than its skyline would suggest?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
no, geneva switzerland and the hague are small but very important...

Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Skylines do not represent importance IMO. Skylines are basically a display of pride and are used to give a city a certain image (with the exception of cities that have no choice but to grow vertically).

Old 11-27-2009, 11:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
To a certain extent, yes--at least as far as American cities go. It's not a coincidence at all that NYC is America's most important city economically and it has the largest skyline. But a better measure would be office space in business districts/office submarkets within the metro area, which may or may not consist of skyscrapers. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between that and metropolitan GDP.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
To a certain extent, yes--at least as far as American cities go. It's not a coincidence at all that NYC is America's most important city economically and it has the largest skyline. But a better measure would be office space in business districts/office submarkets within the metro area, which may or may not consist of skyscrapers. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between that and metropolitan GDP.
I agree.WHAT I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW IS :WHAT CITIES DO SOME OF YOU THINK "OUTWEIGH" IN SKYLINES RATHER THAN THEIR ACTUAL IMPORTANCE?(LOOK FOR THAT THREAD i AM CREATING NOW).

Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree.WHAT I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW IS :WHAT CITIES DO SOME OF YOU THINK "OUTWEIGH" IN SKYLINES RATHER THAN THEIR ACTUAL IMPORTANCE?(LOOK FOR THAT THREAD i AM CREATING NOW).
In terms of office towers, none that I can think of. But there are plenty of examples the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City