Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Hitsville, USA... this is generally associated with Detroit, MI, Motown. Unfortunately there haven't been that many hits coming out of there in awhile.

Hicksville, USA...there is a small city in Long Island, Hicksville, NYC... but there aren't many hicks there I'm afraid.

In a modern context, what are the new literal versions of these two cities?

What major city is putting out the most Hits (music) to be associated with the new Hitsville, USA.

Also

What major city is putting out the most Hicks (people) to be associated with the new Hicksville, USA.

Bonus Question, is there a major city that puts out a lot of hits AND hicks?

To keep it interesting, stick to the top 25-30 or so metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Billy Joel is from Hicksville. He had lots of hits.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hicksville, USA...there is a small city in Long Island, Hicksville, NYC... but there aren't many hicks there I'm afraid.
That Asian chick from Glee is also from Hicksville. Personally I'd never live there just because of the name.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That Asian chick from Glee is also from Hicksville. Personally I'd never live there just because of the name.
but there aren't real hicks in hicksville, Where is the REAL Hicksville USA?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
but there aren't real hicks in hicksville, Where is the REAL Hicksville USA?
When I heard people talking about Hicksville as a place with hicks, I got confused. There aren't any hicks in Hicksville. Then I realized what they were talking about it.

Hicksville mostly has the white ethnic population common to the NYC metro (Eastern European Jews, Italians, some Irish and other European) together with a growing Asian people and some Hispanics. Part of Hicksville was built by Levitt as it's adjancent to Leviittown. Very frequent train service to NYC, and a bit more afforable then some places in the area. It also seems to be the center for Indian & Pakistani ethnic stores.

Hicksville has no country music on the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City