Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 AM

79 posts, read 92,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
What kind of wildlife (besides bums/homeless) are in Central Park?!
Oh you know....Polar Bears, Monkeys, Red Pandas, Giraffes, Nubian Goats, Cheetahs, Japanese Macaque, Zebras, Snow Leopards, Sea Lions, Tigers, Lions, etc., etc.

It's called "Central Park Zoo."

You may live in podunk, but reading = knowledge and knowledge = power. Central Park is the most civilized park I've ever used in the world - manicured, orderly, safe/closely manned, plentiful in activities (and gorgeous Tavern On The Green restaurant on-site). Deers are useless nuisances/road hazards and I do not ever want to see any sort of wildlife unless I'm at a zoo or on safari in Africa.

Last edited by CGTSS; 12-03-2009 at 02:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 AM

321 posts, read 720,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
Oh you know....Polar Bears, Monkeys, Red Pandas, Giraffes, Nubian Goats, Cheetahs, Japanese Macaque, Zebras, Snow Leopards, Sea Lions, Tigers, Lions, etc., etc.

You may live in podunk, but reading = knowledge and knowledge = power. Central Park is the most civilized park I've ever used in the world - manicured, orderly, safe/closely manned, plentiful in activities (and gorgeous Tavern On The Green restaurant on-site). Deers are useless nuisances/road hazards and I do not ever want to see any sort of wildlife unless I'm at a zoo or on safari in Africa.

hahaha
Im with you that deer suck, but I like birds and stuff... (which there are a ton of in Central Park)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

Eh, if you've gone around to other major US cities, then you'll probably have figured out that most zoos are part of or adjacent to city parks. It's notable, but not that notable.

Obviously he's not talking about flora and fauna in enclosures separated from people. There are people who like the option of having almost-wilderness close to very urban areas (Rock Creek Park is easily accessible and DC is a very urban city). Having a large park in the middle of Manhattan is amazing, but it's not to everyone's tastes since Central Park is also a very social park. I actually really wish Inwood Hill Park would do less paving with its trails because it's the closest thing to wilderness in Manhattan and it's downright gorgeous sometimes.

Let's get really real. Other cities have really nice parks and there are just some things that Central Park doesn't offer.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was very impressed with the parks in Chicago and NYC when I visited over the summer. They were very green, lush, and nicely landscaped. Not sure how different they feel and look in winter but during summer they are very nice imo.

San Diego also has some nice parklands such as Balboa Park and Mission Bay Park. Plus all of the urban canyons all over SD provide a nice refuge right in the middle of the city and suburbia.

San Francisco is also another city that has some nice big parks such as GG Park and the Presidio.
This post reflects my sentiments exactly. San Fran is amazing, NYC's Central Park is also amazing, but to me the best of all is San Diego, particularly Balboa Park. The world famous San Diego Zoo is in Balboa Park, but beyond that it's huge and so beautiful with the buildings, fountains, canyons, and the Spreckels Organ pavilion is beautiful, and when they are playing the organ it's so pleasant. San Diego also has the advantage of perfect weather most of the time. Then there's also Mt. Soledad, and there's also that park on the border of Mexico which is bordered by the beach also.

Los Angeles has a lot of nice parks throughout the city. One of them even is full of tar pits - the La Brea tar pits. Very unique and unusual. The Hollywood Hills host Griffith Park, which is home to the Griffith Observatory, the Greek Theater and the Hollywood Bowl. One time I hiked up in Griffith Park a bit to the Batcave! Yes, the cave they filmed as the Batcave in the Batman TV show from the '60's. On the other side of the hills, the valley side, is the L.A. zoo, some riding trails for horses, and Forest Lawn cemetary which is the final resting place to many celebrities. L.A. is a great city for parks.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Oh, also Austin has a huge park that straddles the river, and it offers lots of activities, including the Barton Springs pool, which is a chilly spring-fed mineral water pool and is huge and extremely refreshing. It is a perfect complement to that great little city.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 AM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
I'd have to go with the stretches Lincoln Park and Grant Park along Chicago's lakefront. Where else can you be on the side of a lake that looks for all the world like an ocean, with the city skyline steps away, and fields of grass and bike paths surrounding you? Gorgeous.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 AM

136 posts, read 424,084 times
I have to include Milwaukee County in Wisconsin.They have the Lake Michigan shore line , flowers , birds , trees , etc. Also they have many many, inland parks as well !

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:

Yes I know the zoo there. If you had read my post in context (but being a teenager of the 2000's I'm guessing your reading comprehension is quite low), I was inquiring as to the non-zoo actual wildlife that lives in the park. From your post I am gathering that deer are the only wildlife in Central Park (which I don't believe due to its size and the plentiful food sources -think garbage cans) in the area. Could someone with an actual education inform me as to the wildlife in Central Park? No foxes? Other? Also, I believe there is an Equine Center in the park. Correct? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Yes I know the zoo there. If you had read my post in context (but being a teenager of the 2000's I'm guessing your reading comprehension is quite low), I was inquiring as to the non-zoo actual wildlife that lives in the park. From your post I am gathering that deer are the only wildlife in Central Park (which I don't believe due to its size and the plentiful food sources -think garbage cans) in the area. Could someone with an actual education inform me as to the wildlife in Central Park? No foxes? Other? Also, I believe there is an Equine Center in the park. Correct? Thanks.
Pigeons, and I think the Central Park Rangers ride horses.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
The best wildlife would be the birds because there is a variety of birds (not counting the pigeons!) - cardinals, robins, blue jays, sparrows, swans, ducks, geese, egrets, cranes, herons, hawks, turkey vultures, an occasional eagle, finches, etc.. There may be a fox here and there, you'd be hard pressed to find one. There are no deer I'm pretty sure. There are rats. There are lots of raccoons, and I believe it became a problem because there were so many this past summer and they are becoming too accustomed to human presence so that they no longer maintain a safe distance as much as they should. Possums here and there...there has even been a coyote or two which has found its way to the park, but if they don't leave on their own the city will remove them. Rabbits and TONS of squirrels of course. There are fish in some of the waters.

That's about it, unless you count the various two-legged animals, the kind that wear clothes, which are often the strangest and most interesting to watch, and they are by far the most dangerous of all the animals.

I was walking by the pond in the middle of the park one evening this summer, and it was beautiful. As I came to a postcard-perfect little footbridge, lit with the beautiful, ornate, old-fashioned lights that adorn the park, I walked along the path which has bushes lining the side, and I heard a loud thrashing right next to me in the bushes, and looked in time to see a coon tail disappear into the bush. Then a huge 'coon ran behind me and followed that coon into the bush. Lucky for me they were not rabid and they were scared of me, but if not they had me dead to rights. I was scared out of my gourd. A few days later I heard about the raccoon problem, so I think they might have gotten rid of much of the raccoon population, for the safety of park visitors as well as the raccoons (unless they killed the 'coons).

I believe there is or was an equine center - it was in danger of being closed, and in fact I think the city stopped funding it and it was closed this past summer, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City