Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and thousands of others disagree with you.......
Not any that matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Not any that matter!
Brilliant response.
You have just convinced everyone that your way of thinking is right.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It helps to actually read the article.

"according to a panel of Time Out judges"

Were there thousands of judges on this panel?
You think maybe if cities with higher population are higher on the list they will sell more books?

"Jessica Cargill-Thompson, editor of the Time Out book 'The World's Greatest Cities', told CNBC."
Jealous people are such a complete waste of time. Maybe instead of trying to find fault over the fact that NYC HAS ALREADY WON and THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. Instead you can use that energy to make your city a place where over 8 million people want to live.....then after you do that then maybe your city will stand a chance in hell of being even in the running!

Quite sure that it was not just Jessica Cargill or just Time Out Judges who made the decision on worlds best city.....they may have had the FINAL vote after thousands of others responded. But even if the judges were the only ones to vote.....they are way better travelled then you....so they have the ability to give a rational perspective.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Jealous people are such a complete waste of time. Maybe instead of trying to find fault over the fact that NYC HAS ALREADY WON and THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. Instead you can use that energy to make your city a place where over 8 million people want to live.....then after you do that then maybe your city will stand a chance in hell of being even in the running!

Quite sure that it was not just Jessica Cargill or just Time Out Judges who made the decision on worlds best city.....they may have had the FINAL vote after thousands of others responded. But even if the judges were the only ones to vote.....they are way better travelled then you....so they have the ability to give a rational perspective.
What would give you the impression I am jealous?

Because I pointed out that you were wrong and it was not thousands that voted, only a panel of people that were writing a book about it?

And why would I want 8 million people moving to where I live?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
You know I didn't ever think it would be London or New York City, but you guys are pretty persuasive it can't be either one.

So I say let's all tout Dusseldorf, Germany. It has a cute name and it ranks higher than both London and New York on the Mercer list of great cities. Another possibility Auckland, New Zealand. It looks to be the second-highest in the English speaking world.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmpireNyc View Post
U know what?I think New York city is the best of all,even cannot be beaten.Well,u know that NYC has one the name of the most populous city and the most populous urban areas in the US.So?Whats the big deal?LA is also great and best place to live,just did u know that citys is measured on population,business,number of citizens?Did'nt u all realize that?Its all measured on that way.So?Just faced the fate.....New York already wins... besides,LA can boost its population.New York Have 8 million peoples and LA only have 4 million.But New York can only fight some worlds cities like London,Paris etc.But new york cannot fight cities like Beijing or Tokyo.That king of cities is Way too Big for New York to challenge.So because of that,i vote New York.But Los Angeles is very great too.Maybe LA should challenge Chicago,Atlanta,San Fransisco,Boston,Philladeplhia etc.
Well hate to bust your bubble, but LA is a lot closer than you think in population. I believe that New York pride has you blind. Even though I like NY it can be beaten. easily.

If you look at LA's advantages... that would be its metropolitan area... with cities such as Santa Clara and Bel-Air with the huge mansions and palm trees only minutes from the city center. You only compare downtown areas that give NY an advantage. If you compare Metros, LA's population is really close. LA's population is 13 Millie with a density of 2600 sq. ft and NY is 18 Mille with 2700 sq. ft. If LA was expanded to the area size of New York to include RIverside and other cities that are big on their own it wouldn't be much of a diffrence. It's really close and you can assume that LA is going to continue growing like crazy. Considering NY is a 400 year old city and 90 years ago LA was barely existant. I would say La has the most upside compared to NY because that's where the people have been going.

Greater Los Angeles Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If money was not an issue La would be the top destination for Americans: with the warm weather, ultra-rich neighborhoods, beautiful scenery. Man even the ghettos' look nice. that's why most celebrities and rich people live there. LA is the best city in the world hands down (if money isn't an issue ).

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You know I didn't ever think it would be London or New York City, but you guys are pretty persuasive it can't be either one.

So I say let's all tout Dusseldorf, Germany. It has a cute name and it ranks higher than both London and New York on the Mercer list of great cities. Another possibility Auckland, New Zealand. It looks to be the second-highest in the English speaking world.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)
Dusseldorf sounds good.

I could go for a bit of Apfelstrudel.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:

Ahem...YOU CANNOT WIN AN OPINION!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Not disputing that every area of the US has a history. This is about MODERN CULTURE. We are talking about what makes the worlds best city. Thousands voted on this same topic and NYC won over London....so obviously they all felt the same way. It took more then having skyscrapers for NYC to win. Hollywood is a Mecca for movies and plenty of movies are made in NYC so they don't even have NYC beat on that.....there are just as many celebrities walking down the street in NYC as Hollywood.

A city has to excel at everything.....music, media, movies, entertainment, business/finance, fashion, restaurants, shopping....NYC is a POWERHOUSE in all of these categories, not just movies unlike Hollywood.
LA doesn't have NYC beat in the film category?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
According to this poorly constructed Facebook group, St. Louis, Missouri is the "best city in the universe"..

St. Louis is the best city in the universe | Facebook

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City