Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupermaus View Post
[ok here goes: Istanbul, the city on two continents. Population 13 million city, metro 18? million (some say 20 million), three thousand years in the making.

by Gokhan Ozcan www.imageshack.us and www.wowturkey.com

Jakob

www.wikimedia.org

following from www.wowturkey.com

www.wikimedia.org

OK, the result, the City Today

after all the feuding, destruction, building work, population exchanges and political upheavals:

As a heady mix between Paris, Damascus and San Fransisco (architecture aswell as outlook), East meets West, old meets new Newsweek in 2007 called
on Istanbul as the new 'world's coolest city' (last time it did this was London 1995) precisely for the juxtapositions found so few places elsewhere- girls
in miniskirts passing mosques, ancient teahouses next to gay bars, swimming in the sea next to the palaces. It also happens to be one of the friendliest
cities in the world.

www.tmhairrestoration.com www.imageshack.us and www.mokumtv.nl

In short Istanbul = zeitgeist. Its currently the world's best kept secret but not for long - tourism is expected to rise dramatically as the 'secret' gets out,
and foreign visitors will reach 10 million in the next 2 years alone, and rising. This is the result of decades of state and education secularism combined/
fighting with a strong religious and cultural identity. 98% of the Turkish are unified as Muslims but come from diverse backgrounds.

www.wowturkey.com

thanx to Jakob

thanx to DU999

dogmouth.net

thanx to Jakob, www.photobucket.com

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thanks to Jakob, www.photobucket.com

by Siamak Jafari, www.imageshack.us

www.istanbuldailyblogspot.com and www.cooltownstudios.com

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more and thanx to Jakob

www.sercan.de

www.wowturkey.com

www.photobucket.com

thanks to Jakob@www.skyscrapercity.com, www.photobucket.com

With massive pedestrianisation
www.flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com - broken link)

http://cache.virtualtourist.com and http://uebermorgentau.net, www.imageshack.us

DU999 and www.gaxi.com

www.wowturkey.com

with the urban coast studded with vistas and inlets.

Jakob and 4th Balkan School

www.imageshack.us and Jakob

www.imageshack.us

Jakob

There is a burgeoning art scene, and much tradition of political protest. Istanbul is currently a place
fighting between a left wing city and a right wing economy and countryside. This makes for great
frisson, and part of the reason why only now is it so 'cool':

www.wowturkey.com

Jakob

Jakob

Jakob

Final pics,
Istanbul life:
thanx to Du999

Fantastic pictures. I have always wanted to go to Istanbul, I think it or Beirut will be my first visit to the middle east
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
LMAO. Most wealthy people live in Los Angeles? The tiny Manhattan alone has 55 billionaires (not even including the suburbs), about 25 more billionaires than the entire Los Angeles metro which holds about 11X the amount of people as Manhattan.

And...

Top Destinations Wealthy Want To Reside - CNBC

New York City is at the very top, along with Monaco and London. Los Angeles isn't even on the list.

Also....

Most Popular Cities People Want to Move to:

1. New York City
2. Denver
2. San Francisco
4. San Diego
5. Seattle
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. Las Vegas
9. Washington, DC
10. Dallas
11. Austin
12. Nashville
13. Atlanta
14. Orlando
15. Los Angeles

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_05.pdf (broken link)

You, living in a place like Atlanta, may prefer to reside in Los Angeles if money were not an issue, but wealthy people apparently do not share your taste at all.
I think NYC being the financial capital has something to do with all the Billionaires. But you're right, most people prefer to move to NYC. I'll give you that. But I think you're not giving LA the credit, ESPECIALLY when it comes to film and music, and how PLENTY, and PLENTY of New York born and bread actors, singers, etc, move to Los Angeles when they get big. If I had a nickel for every New York actor that move to LA, I'd be VERY wealthy.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 22,682 times
New York for American style cities
Barcelona or Paris for European.
Tokyo is awesome as well.

World's best? Paris.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
It annoys me deeply when jealous non new yorkers try to discredit the city because they live in west bubble towns that u couldnt find on a map. Breakdancing has nothing at all in common with james or mikes style of dancing. U would have to be an idiot to watch someone breakdance and think that .... looks similar to james brown. Breakdancing was created by urban blacks and latino youths in the bronx. Nothing more nothing less

And since hip hop is the dominating african american culture, ny can be looked at as being a huge black culture center
Hip-Hop? That's NYC for sure. But, What about Rock N Roll? Wasn't that invented by us blacks? And it originated in the South. I don't think NYC is the DOMINATE culture for blacks in America. I think MANY cities INCLUDING NYC can SHARE that claim.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM

141 posts, read 196,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think NYC being the financial capital has something to do with all the Billionaires. But you're right, most people prefer to move to NYC. I'll give you that. But I think you're not giving LA the credit, ESPECIALLY when it comes to film and music, and how PLENTY, and PLENTY of New York born and bread actors, singers, etc, move to Los Angeles when they get big. If I had a nickel for every New York actor that move to LA, I'd be VERY wealthy.
Who?

Every "big" New York City born and raised actor I know either commutes back and forth for work in LA and a residence in NYC or (2) Still lives in New York full time time (even though it's far away from work.) And funny, lots of LA actors own residences in NYC...even though they aren't even based/have no business here.

What does this have to do with anything anyway?

Last edited by CDGJFK; 12-10-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Who?

Every "big" New York City born and raised actor I know either commutes back and forth for work in LA and a residence in NYC or (2) Still lives in New York full time time (even though it's far away from work.) And funny, lots of LA actors own residences in NYC...even though they aren't even based/have no business here.

What does this have to do with anything anyway?
Like I said before, I don't think you're giving LA the PROPER credit. I didn't say they completely ABANDON New York,and NEVER EVER,EVER EVER, return again. I'm just saying you're not giving LA the PROPER credit in terms of desirability by the famous, to take residence. You're making it seem like Rich and famous people go LEAPS and BOUNDS to AVOID moving to LA. You make it seem as if LA is COMPLETELY undesirable. I even said I AGREE with you, in terms of people wanting to move to NYC over most cities. Maybe I should have chosen my words carefully.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM

I mean there is a reason TMZ is headquartered in LA.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I mean there is a reason TMZ is headquartered in LA.
Well, duh, because TMZ covers the Hollywood movie industry. Hollywood is in......Hollywood. Did you expect TMZ to be headquartered in Charlotte?

Where else would it be?

Just like Wall Street Journal is headquartered in New York, for obvious reasons.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, I don't think you're giving LA the PROPER credit. I didn't say they completely ABANDON New York,and NEVER EVER,EVER EVER, return again. I'm just saying you're not giving LA the PROPER credit in terms of desirability by the famous, to take residence. You're making it seem like Rich and famous people go LEAPS and BOUNDS to AVOID moving to LA. You make it seem as if LA is COMPLETELY undesirable. I even said I AGREE with you, in terms of people wanting to move to NYC over most cities. Maybe I should have chosen my words carefully.
Oh and when I think "rich", I don't think of celebrities. Most of them aren't anything special. Only a few celebrities would qualify as wealthy.

Oh and the richest man in the United States has a place in NYC.

Bill Gates trumps up $20m for apartment in New York City - Business News, Business - The Independent

Warren Buffet's son lives full time in my friends new building in Manhattan as well (One Madison Park).

Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Oh and when I think "rich", I don't think of celebrities. Most of them aren't anything special. Only a few celebrities would qualify as wealthy.

Oh and the richest man in the United States has a place in NYC.

Bill Gates trumps up $20m for apartment in New York City - Business News, Business - The Independent

Warren Buffet's son lives full time in my friends new building in Manhattan as well (One Madison Park).
Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City