Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry Houston has as much a superiority complex as Dallas. Let's be real.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry Houston has as much a superiority complex as Dallas. Let's be real.
that is imagined, not real

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
OOO OOO OOO MY CITY DOES MY CITY DOES! WE ARE THE TOP OF THE LIST AN THE BEST AT EVERYTHING! Even this!!!!!!!!!

J/K... hehe had to

But with all seriousness... Atlanta, where I am from, borderlines on this. However, it isn't nessecarily because we are trying to show our superiority, it has more to do from us getting put down so many others we have to defend ourselves and prove what we actually do have.

Most of the rural areas and smaller southern cities around put us down like there is no tomorrow. News report to y'all up north... apparently we are actually a northern city. Of course I never got that memo. Many people from other places though discredit us a little bit (sometimes alot) just because we are a southern city. Other put us down just because most of our growth happened in the era of the car. That is true and has shaped what the city has become, but this has happened to every city in the U.S. We just didn't that 1+ million growth early on before the dominance of the car, so traffic jams cause our urban residential infill rather than the lack of cars.

Even so far on this thread a few people have already incorrectly put down/discredited Atlanta, so I as an Atlantan is put in an awkward position (including a certain someone from Ohio... not to mention any names). Do I say nothing and let people think the wrong things about us? Or do I speak up and risk that whole superiority vibe?

And when we talk to other southerners we are often trying to downplay any look of superiority, because we are already afraid the mostly rural state legislature will cut our infrastructure investment even more. We are like a political punching bag in our state, despite producing 65% of the tax revenues.

(Talking to a rural Georgian: What do y'all ever do for us? We produce a large portion of the state's tax revenue and some of that goes pave some of the best rural roads in the nation. Are you sayin' your better than us? No no no... not at all.... ahh crap... I just want my commuter train --kicks can down the road--)

So I often feel like I am in a weird position. I don't think we are the only city to have this problem, but I think its enhanced being so deep in the South.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
NYC
Boston
Chicago ( chicago has both a superiority and an inferiority complex)
SF
Dallas
ATL is developing one as we speak
houston

Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that is imagined, not real
No. It's real.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
lol, you clearly have not come across Dallas posters.

But you chose your words carefully, you said Houston posters are outspoken in support of their city,

The thread is about superiority complexes tho.

You should see how the DAllas posters think about Houston.

Don't get them started about their shopping. They will tell you that to compare it, you will have to go to Europe and find cities like Paris or Milan.
LOL, true that I don't really don't go into the TX threads very often, so I don't have your perspective.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
all true
Mostly partial truths, but you know what I mean you Houstonite you.....

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Mostly partial truths, but you know what I mean you Houstonite you.....

I was born in the Caribbean
Did my time in Florida
suffered through 4 yrs in San Antonio

Houston is just home, I belong to the world

Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
oh yeah Dallas is another one...

They have the San Francisco supperiority complex of Texas. In other words, they think they are the only city and everyone should bow down to them. They even say their football team is "America's Team"

F Dallas!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
oh yeah Dallas is another one...

They have the San Francisco supperiority complex of Texas. In other words, they think they are the only city and everyone should bow down to them. They even say their football team is "America's Team"

F Dallas!
forgot about that. People in Dallas must have some really strong necks to be able to support such big heads.

Their Football Team is America's Team
Their shopping is comparable to Paris and Milan
They claim their Economy is one of the most diverse in the world
Their Airport
The most dynamic skyline (at night)
The women are more high class
Highest concentration of Billionaires this side of Jupiter
Fastest Growing metropolitan area america has ever seen
Bridges to where that would make Sarah Palin's head pop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City