Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times

Advertisements

Sf

Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There is a lot of pride in New Yorkers. Maybe some arrogance.
I wouldn't call it a superiority complex, it is more of an indifference. NYers could care less about about most other cities. LA and Chicago have similar characters.

Don;t know much about Atlanta, except the I wouldn;t want ot live there based on my short visits.

San Diego is probably the most laid back city in the country. They also could care less about what's happening in Mid America
Based on this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tice-most.html, I would think SF, NYC, and LA are the most indifferent, superiority complex if you want to call it that. Cities that have nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. Sure there are shortcomings with each of them, but whatever is the attitude. They are icons and are too busy living life.

Chicago and Houston have the inferiority complex. Great cities, but for whatever reason they feel they have to lash out due to perceived shortcomings in weather, food, culture, incomes, respect, you name it.

My opinion.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 12-09-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Based on this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tice-most.html, I would think SF, NYC, and LA are the most indifferent, superiority complex if you want to call it that. Cities that have nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. Sure there are shortcomings with each of them, but whatever is the attitude. They are icons and are too busy living life.

Chicago and Houston have the inferiority complex. Great cities, but for whatever reason they feel they have to lash out due to perceived shortcomings in weather, food, culture, incomes, respect, you name it.

My opinion.

I always see Angelenos on the defensive about their perceived sprawl or lack of transit...don't see that as a Superiority complex.

SF, NYC, definitely.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
as far as city data....I'd say
NYCers- not all but alot of them. One day they say its heaven on earth, the center of the galaxy(some man actually said this on new years eve last year) or disneyland for adults the the next minute its "our hoods are grimier then yours"

SF- again not everyone but alot of posters seem bourgeois as hell

LA- some posters come off as condescending.

CHI- ill admit, aint as bad but before it seemed like many chicago poster were on some "im better than you" stuff (this is before i joined tho). Although i think if the various dementors werent on here it would be even worse

in real life though, I havent met anyone from any of these cities who act like this in person. Although I got to admit people from jersey(state) seem to talk about that place all the time. I rember moving to nc and a good amount of people from jersey were always like "man jersey mad dope, we got everything son" and more. At first it was interesting to hear about it but after a while got annoying. lolz. This might not be a supeiority complex but it could easily be mistaken as one

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 12-09-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
NY and SF, although when the topic of LA/SoCal comes up SF/Bay Area seem to have an inferiority complex more so imo.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
1) I like both cities, but I think NYC and SF

2) I wouldnt' say it's the residents themselves, but actually others who boost Boston as being superior.

Austin only believes it's superior to the rest of Texas.

Everyone else like NO, LA, DC and Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte (don't get me started on the Midwest) get smashed on here for crime, not having a diverse economy, not being more like one of the praised cities, etc.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
some cities like NYC & LA have a lot to brag about and rightfully so. The superiority awards go to Atlanta followed by Charlotte!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Cities don't have superiority or inferiority complexes, people do. There will always be people from one city or another who will do anything to shamelessly promote their city, but there is an even huger population of people who care less and just want to live their lives.

Since this is the general US forum, it's expected that people promote their cities like racedogs. After all, isn't that what the appeal of this forum is?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
NYC and LA, but it is warranted. SF? Not at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Dinsdale is known for his constant dissing of St Louis. No one takes him seriously, he resides small town WAY outside of STL. His wife made him move here and he spends about 12 hours of his day complaining about it on these boards. Saying STL has a superiority complex is a joke. There are several people dedicated to urban rejuvenation of a city, this may be construed as a complex. I am not from around here, so I have no reason to exaggerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City