Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Cities don't have superiority or inferiority complexes, people do.
True that

Still I think what's meant is "what cities have the highest percent of people who brag about their city" or some such.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
True that

Still I think what's meant is "what cities have the highest percent of people who brag about their city" or some such.

Or get uber defensive about their city at the drop of a hat. Or tend to put down cities that are not on the same level .Inferiority.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Based on people I've met:

New York - To an extent I can see how if NYC is what you're used to, no other city in the U.S. will compare n terms of density, size, and business. But, it annoys the hell out of me how many New Yorkers and even more New York transplants swear up and down that it's the greatest city on Earth and look down on other places.

Austin - From my understanding Austin has a lot of things going for it right now, but when it get's to the point where they start to compare it to Portland, New Orleans, etc. and even looking down on cities like Dallas and Houston it becomes a little too much. The look on those I met faces were priceless when they realized the buzz about Austin wasn't anywhere near as big outside of TX as it is there. Also from speaking with friends and family in Houston and Dallas, it doesn't get too much of buzz there either.

Atlanta? - With this one I'm not sure if it's an inferiority complex or a superiority one, but when I talk about Atlanta with people from Atlanta the conversation always takes a "Well, Atlanta has ______ or "Atlanta is ______." Sometimes it comes across as trying to prove that Atlanta dominates the south and everywhere else is just a hick town, while more often it sounds as if there trying to prove that Atlanta can hold it's own. I always get a "See, what I've got!!!" or "Look what I can do." vibe from ATL, as if they're trying to not only convince, but convice themselves as well.

^ all of the above is my personal opinion so please spare the "NYC is the best PERIOD" and "Atlanta vs. _________" threads.
This all actually comes across as your own inferiority complex about your city. Are people from Atlanta always bragging about what the city has or are you always mistakenly taking it that way? It can easily work either way.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've never understood the hoopla about Dallas. I've lived in Houston and Austin and traveled plenty to Dallas, but I never found anything about Dallas to like.

And yes, Austin is overrated and overhyped. Unfortunately, that hasn't stopped people from moving here in droves, which has totally changed what used to make Austin a cool place to live.

You should visit East Dallas/Lakewood, Southside/Cedars, parts of Oak Lawn and North Oak Cliff/Fort Worth Ave section of W. Dallas. Very like Austin when it was cool.

Austin was ruined when they put up the official sign for Hippie Hollow.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
IMHO.......from my Forum experiences with a few other posters...I'd say "San Francisco".

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
New York and SF are about the only cities where you observe people who feel that because they are from there, that that qualifies them as better than everyone else in the world.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; there's a difference between West Coast and East Coast ghettos. West Coast undesirable areas can still be at least some-what attractive; the same could probably be said for some areas in the south as well.
Exactly. But there are PARTS of LA that people don't know exists that look rather third worldish. I'm not talking South Central or Compton, Long Beach or Inglewood either, because those places are livable in terms of living conditions(not crime though). South Central with it's TALL palm trees looks kinda nice, NOT rich, but middle class type nice.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Yea I don't know anyone who thinks california's ghettos are any better or worse than anywhere else in the country. Oakland and richmond are two of the 10 most dangerous cities in the whole united states. West Coast ghettos are just as nasty, instead of sprawling upwards to the sky, theY sprawl for miles with low-mid density development, leaving vast swaths of poverty. You go out east and you can go from literal ghetto to posh condos in a few city blocks.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Yea I don't know anyone who thinks california's ghettos are any better or worse than anywhere else in the country. Oakland and richmond are two of the 10 most dangerous cities in the whole united states. West Coast ghettos are just as nasty, instead of sprawling upwards to the sky, theY sprawl for miles with low-mid density development, leaving vast swaths of poverty. You go out east and you can go from literal ghetto to posh condos in a few city blocks.
Oakland has nicer neighborhoods than most of the safest cities.

LOL

Please stick to what you know. And its correct, ghetto areas out west are much generally less dilapidated and ruinous than those found in Chicago and points east.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
And yes, Austin is overrated and overhyped. Unfortunately, that hasn't stopped people from moving here in droves, which has totally changed what used to make Austin a cool place to live.
Actually I think it being overrated and overhyped is part of what caused people to move there in droves. And I doubt there were a great number of them that were so disappointed, as to pick up and move out (though I've talked to a few.) Instead they just adjust, even if it wasn't as great as they hoped. I don't expect Austin to be what it was ever again... I think those days are gone, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City