Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
With all I seen on city data in the skyline battles and etc Atlantans DO NOT have a superior complex are yall serious? really? I don't get how yall can nag on Atlanta, than bost yall own city and then say Atlantans got a superior complex? How can we if were reminded that were a sprawl sun belt city and get bash on every second? less time I check, the cities with a inferior complex poll Atlanta was voted 4 or 3, now were nominated for a superior complex Wow!
Some do some don't, just like some NYers do and some don't, just like some SF residents so and some don't.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthrules View Post
Atlanta thinks they are the best, but in reality they are just one big, sprawled suburb.
Wow, how original. If you'd ever posted on here before, you'd know how damn tired that line is.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Excuse me? How does an Atlantan constantly acknowledging that Atlanta has _____ have to do with an inferiority complex of New Orleans. If anything I'm wondering why does this person have to constantly bring up what Atlanta has? I have met few people from Atlanta who did not fit into that category and it's not the transplants, but the natives. I'm not going to walk around Atlanta talking about New Orleans has this or that unless the conversation involves New Orleans. Like seriously, Metro ATL has 5,000,000 people. What is there that isn't expected to be there? What does ATL have that no other region that size doesn't have? I've actually sat down and tried to convince two friends from Atlanta, that a majority of the south does not sit around and think about Atlanta all day, nor do they want to be like Atlanta and they just couldn't accept that idea. I'm not saying that -/+5,000,000 in the Atlanta area feel that way but most of those that I have met have this "LOOK WHAT WE HAVE!" kind of attitude.

Inferiority complex of my city?, Nah!. I know where my city has been and I know where it is now. I know that it's not at its full potential right now, but I know what it can be and I love it for exactly what it is.

Back on the Atlanta topic, that attitude I was referring to can sometimes even be seen on this forum. I was reading a comparison post earlier where the OP wanted to compare specific areas and most of the Atlanta posters griped and complained about how unfair or stupid the post was because it didn't compare what the felt should be compared.
Good Lord...get over it. At the end of the day do you REALLY think people are worried about all this? Nobody gives anything you posted above the time of day. That was my point...I think it may be this way only in your mind.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
With all I seen on city data in the skyline battles and etc Atlantans DO NOT have a superior complex are yall serious? really? I don't get how yall can nag on Atlanta, than bost yall own city and then say Atlantans got a superior complex? How can we if were reminded that were a sprawl sun belt city and get bash on every second? less time I check, the cities with a inferior complex poll Atlanta was voted 4 or 3, now were nominated for a superior complex Wow!
Atlantans have an inferiority AND a superiority complex at the same time! It's simply unheard of.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Good Lord...get over it. At the end of the day do you REALLY think people are worried about all this? Nobody gives anything you posted above the time of day. That was my point...I think it may be this way only in your mind.
You did and that was good enough, but then again it was directed towards you and only you.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Excuse me? How does an Atlantan constantly acknowledging that Atlanta has _____ have to do with an inferiority complex of New Orleans. If anything I'm wondering why does this person have to constantly bring up what Atlanta has? I have met few people from Atlanta who did not fit into that category and it's not the transplants, but the natives. I'm not going to walk around Atlanta talking about New Orleans has this or that unless the conversation involves New Orleans. Like seriously, Metro ATL has 5,000,000 people. What is there that isn't expected to be there? What does ATL have that no other region that size doesn't have? I've actually sat down and tried to convince two friends from Atlanta, that a majority of the south does not sit around and think about Atlanta all day, nor do they want to be like Atlanta and they just couldn't accept that idea. I'm not saying that -/+5,000,000 in the Atlanta area feel that way but most of those that I have met have this "LOOK WHAT WE HAVE!" kind of attitude.

Inferiority complex of my city?, Nah!. I know where my city has been and I know where it is now. I know that it's not at its full potential right now, but I know what it can be and I love it for exactly what it is.

Back on the Atlanta topic, that attitude I was referring to can sometimes even be seen on this forum. I was reading a comparison post earlier where the OP wanted to compare specific areas and most of the Atlanta posters griped and complained about how unfair or stupid the post was because it didn't compare what the felt should be compared.
Let's look at in context though. If you were to remove Miami, Houston, and Dallas and just compare Atlanta to every other city in the Southeast it is not even a competition. Atlanta is lightyears ahead of every other city in the region, without the other three of the Big Four, that it's not even worth comparing. So when an Atlanta resident starts hearing some smack from someone from another city, the people here will naturally laugh and remind that person of how far into the ground Atlanta beats them.

In my view it's not really arrogance or superiority, rather just the natural flow of things. It's the same position that NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Fran and LA finds themselves in their respective regions. Sure there are other cities that have certain amenities that make them special...just not as special as the big dog in that area.

I guess that's why people from outside these cities find the residents of the regional power centers as "arrogant".

Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
I think that New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston have the greatest superiority complexes. Chicago vs. New York is one of the most irritating debates. I think that Los Angeles has an inferiority complex, much like Las Vegas, Memphis, and Detroit.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Let's look at in context though. If you were to remove Miami, Houston, and Dallas and just compare Atlanta to every other city in the Southeast it is not even a competition. Atlanta is lightyears ahead of every other city in the region, without the other three of the Big Four, that it's not even worth comparing. So when an Atlanta resident starts hearing some smack from someone from another city, the people here will naturally laugh and remind that person of how far into the ground Atlanta beats them.

In my view it's not really arrogance or superiority, rather just the natural flow of things. It's the same position that NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Fran and LA finds themselves in their respective regions. Sure there are other cities that have certain amenities that make them special...just not as special as the big dog in that area.

I guess that's why people from outside these cities find the residents of the regional power centers as "arrogant".

like youngbloodz use to say... you got to shake em off

Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 AM

83 posts, read 99,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think that New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston have the greatest superiority complexes. Chicago vs. New York is one of the most irritating debates. I think that Los Angeles has an inferiority complex, much like Las Vegas, Memphis, and Detroit.

I think people in some cities (Chicago being a good example) have a little bit of both superiority and inferiority. Not to get too technical, but people who have a superiority complex normally have an unrealistic and exaggerated belief that they are better than others. An inferiority complex is sometimes subconscious and has more to do with someone getting overly defensive about criticisms, overcompensating, those things. The problem with labeling entire cities in this way is that they all have their high points and major drawbacks, and one man's emerald city is another man's glorified cess pool.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
I don't think people in Chicago have an inferiority complex. There is nothing to be embarrased about being from Chicago. Chicago has very few negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City