Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM

378 posts, read 1,289,237 times

Advertisements

The thread on Meth cities got me thinking. I'm curious to know what city you live in and what the dominant drugs are (excluding marijuana). Who controls the drug trade?

In Chicago I'd say it's heroin and cocaine, both highly controlled by street gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM

270 posts, read 855,405 times
This was found at http://www.drugabuse.gov/PDF/CEWG/CEWG_ABS600.pdf (broken link). It is out of date, but I doubt these are not still issues.

DRUG TRENDS IN ST. LOUIS
Heidi Israel-Adams
Division of Infectious Diseases
St. Louis University School of Medicine
James Topolski, Ph.D.
Division of Evaluation, Policy, and EtMissouri Institute of Mental Health
St. Louis, Missouri

Heroin and methamphetamine are increasingly prominent in most St. Louis indicators, and heroin
presents a major prevention and law enforcement concern in St. Louis City and County. Heroin is
available and substantially pure. County law enforcement personnel are increasingly concerned with
methamphetamine use, and methamphetamine labs in rural areas are a major problem. Club
drugs, such as MDMA (“ecstasy”) and gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), have an increasing presence
in St. Louis. In the St. Louis area, 5,379 cases of HIV infection and AIDS have been identified
through September 1999.

For inquiries concerning this report, please contact James Topolski, Ph.D., Director,
Evaluation, Policy & Ethics, Missouri Institute of Mental Health, 5400 Arsenal Street, Room
A317, St. Louis, MO 63139, Phone: (314) 644-8574, Fax: (314) 644-7934, E-mail:
[topolski@mimh.edu

Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I suppose it also changes based on your economics and the culture you involve yourself in.

I'd say in Chicago, pot is EVERYWHERE. People sit on the street and smoke and no one seems to care. I feel like every time I meet a new friend, or talk to new coworkers in my accounting office people just associate pot as being a fairly normal thing. Certainly not paranoid about it.

Coke is a pretty big drug here (i'm assuming everywhere though, right?). I stay away, but it seems half the people I meet have dabbled in it at one point or another. In the gay scene there are a lot of big hookups that I've heard multiple friends mention.

Extacy also seems to be pretty common here among most groups. I usually see it being used fairly relaxingly, people will just drop a pill and go out to the bars without any huge expectations.

I'm assuming it's that way in most of the country though, right? I don't see meth much in the city except for the hard core partiers (who most people just make fun of). I think after so many years, people realized that meth isn't even really funny to mess around with. Nothing good's every come out of trying it from what I've seen or heard. Had a few friends in Iowa get messed up on it and they pretty much just wasted away and vanished.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
I've noticed in Texas; PCP is starting to get bigger. Anybody that takes that stuff must be trying to kill themselves.

Anyways; in Waco we got outside of marijuana is heroin and crack cocaine. You also got syrup too. I believe Houston is about the same.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM

815 posts, read 2,138,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've noticed in Texas; PCP is starting to get bigger. Anybody that takes that stuff must be trying to kill themselves.

Anyways; in Waco we got outside of marijuana is heroin and crack cocaine. You also got syrup too. I believe Houston is about the same.

Syrup is starting to get big here in Atlanta. A few years ago extasy pills were as well, not it appears syrup is the new thing. Aside from that Atlanta is mainly Cocaine and weed. The Mexican Cartels hold the weight then break it down and distribute it to the neighborhood drug crews.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Crack.

Hackensack = Crackensack

Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default boredatwork

PCP and exctasy is popular in D.C among other things ..weird topic

Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Syrup is starting to get big here in Atlanta. A few years ago extasy pills were as well, not it appears syrup is the new thing. Aside from that Atlanta is mainly Cocaine and weed. The Mexican Cartels hold the weight then break it down and distribute it to the neighborhood drug crews.
Maybe I'm not very up on the latest drugs...but what is syrup? Meth is also a very popular drug in Atlanta. You are exactly right about the cartels controling the majority of the drug trade in Atlanta...I read some FBI information not long ago that cited Atlanta as the major entry point for most of the east coast.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
In NYC after the gazilion varieties of Weed its Crack/Coke then Heroin.

I see more weed smokers than cigarette smokers, its actually normal.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
In Dallas, Cheese is all the rage.

The drug actually originated in Dallas. In other states its called "D-town Smack".

Cheese (recreational drug) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City