Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better overall nightlife?
San Francisco 28 26.67%
Los Angeles 77 73.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,364 times

Advertisements

Please respond only if youve experienced both.

Personally, I go with SF for its many walkable nightlife districts and greater diversity. Union Square and the Financial District dont have much nightlife, but there are tons of bustling nightlife districts across the city.

Two of the craziest are probably the Mission District and SOMA. The former has over a hundred bars and restaurants of all types and gets really crazy and fun on weekends. SOMA is the club district, and by 11th and Folsom you'll find dozens of clubs with big-name DJs that often stay open late into the night.

North Beach is also a fun nightlife district. There are some seedy strip-clubs, some dance venues, some (pseudo) bohemian bars once frequented by Kerouac and the beatniks, and some great live music.

The Tenderloin now has one of the best classic cocktail scenes in the country with bars like Bourbon and Branch, Clock Bar, Rye, etc. as well as some great, although somewhat sketchy dive bars.

Polk Street continues to be an awesome mixture of dozens of music venues, bars, restaurants, and dance clubs. The Marina is where the yuppies/Frat Boys go at night, and there are again tons of upscale bars and club scattered througout the area.

You can also find smaller, more intimate bar districts like Lower Haight, which has a a cluster of about a dozen bohemian and eclectic bars. This scene is more low-key, as opposed to the more touristy version on Haight/Ashbury.

The Castro also provides a vibrant nightlife district for Gays and Lesbians.

And I still haven't touched on Inner Sunset, the booming scene in Hayes Valley, the Fillmore District (great for live music, etc.), and many other areas.

Personally, I think SF is top 5 for nightlife, despite the 2 am closing time for bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Please respond only if youve experienced both.

Personally, I go with SF for its many walkable nightlife districts and greater diversity. Union Square and the Financial District dont have much nightlife, but there are tons of bustling nightlife districts across the city.

Two of the craziest are probably the Mission District and SOMA. The former has over a hundred bars and restaurants of all types and gets really crazy and fun on weekends. SOMA is the club district, and by 11th and Folsom you'll find dozens of clubs with big-name DJs that often stay open late into the night.

North Beach is also a fun nightlife district. There are some seedy strip-clubs, some dance venues, some (pseudo) bohemian bars once frequented by Kerouac and the beatniks, and some great live music.

The Tenderloin now has one of the best classic cocktail scenes in the country with bars like Bourbon and Branch, Clock Bar, Rye, etc. as well as some great, although somewhat sketchy dive bars.

Polk Street continues to be an awesome mixture of dozens of music venues, bars, restaurants, and dance clubs. The Marina is where the yuppies/Frat Boys go at night, and there are again tons of upscale bars and club scattered througout the area.

You can also find smaller, more intimate bar districts like Lower Haight, which has a a cluster of about a dozen bohemian and eclectic bars. This scene is more low-key, as opposed to the more touristy version on Haight/Ashbury.

The Castro also provides a vibrant nightlife district for Gays and Lesbians.

And I still haven't touched on Inner Sunset, the booming scene in Hayes Valley, the Fillmore District (great for live music, etc.), and many other areas.

Personally, I think SF is top 5 for nightlife, despite the 2 am closing time for bars.
I absolutely LOVE SF. Having said that, I do not find the Castro district to be as vibrant with bars as it could be.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
I also like the night time scene in the Hayes Valley area. Now that Im 35( 92 by gay standards(LOL), I love HVs relaxed but vibrant night scene).

Actually much of the city is alive at night.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I also like the night time scene in the Hayes Valley area. Now that Im 35( 92 by gay standards(LOL), I love HVs relaxed but vibrant night scene).

Actually much of the city is alive at night.
Hayes Valley is often overlooked, but I agree it's up and coming. Jade Bar is great
, with the crazy waterfall and 3 stories...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,159 times
LA for its mega-clubs, ultra-lounges, and raves.

SF for diversity of nightlife, walkability, and unpretentiousness. However, SF's nightlife is evolving and more and more of the LA/NYC type clubs and lounges are popping up. Forever underrated because people think the city shuts down at 2AM, locals know better because we know spots where the party doesn't stop until 5-6AM.

I love both though.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
LA for its mega-clubs and ultra-lounges.

SF for diversity of nightlife, walkability, and unpretentiousness. However, SF's nightlife is evolving and more and more of the LA/NYC type clubs and lounges are being popping up. Forever underated because people think the city shuts down at 2AM, locals know better because we know spots where the party doesn't stop until 5-6AM.

Yeah, good point. LA's club scene is hard to beat, but SF has much more fun walkable nightlife districts.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM

221 posts, read 797,799 times
It's a toss-up for me. I love the nightlife in both cities. Easily the best on the West Coast, and both are better than cities like DC or Boston.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
I like both but I've generally have had more fun and crazier nights in LA than SF.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Yeah, good point. LA's club scene is hard to beat, but SF has much more fun walkable nightlife districts.
I hate having to park in LA while clubbing.

I have a 50K car, but it's nothing (I'm actually kinda embarrased), because the lots in LA are filled to the brim with Astons, Lambos, Bentleys, or Ferraris. The level of excess down there is insane. Bling culture on steriods down there. Nothing remotely like this in SF. Definately not as car centric.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM

221 posts, read 797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I hate having to park in LA while clubbing.

I have a 50K car, but it's nothing (I'm actually kinda embarrased), because the lots in LA are filled to the brim with Astons, Lambos, Bentleys, or Ferraris. The level of excess down there is insane. Bling culture on steriods down there. Nothing remotely like this in SF. Definately not as car centric.
Yeah, it's crazy down there. SF has so much more energy, thats for sure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City