Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better nightlife?
LA 101 60.12%
Chicago 67 39.88%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Good post.
However, I didnt know Portland had a good bar scene. I'll be sure to check out some the next time I visit in the future.
Of all the cities I've been to in the country, Portland is second only to Chicago in terms of neighborhoody-divey-corner bars, per capita at least. Especially for being a city that isn't that crowded or urban outside of downtown, there are corner bars everywhere, all with the "Oregon Lottery" sign (that sort of reminds me of the "Old Style" sign you see sticking out of a lot of Chicago bars). A ton of the bars in Portland have been infiltrated by hipsters, but a suprisingly large number remain relativley untouched neighborhood haunts.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
one problem for chicago's nightlife is the winter. LA never winds down, but chicago does so in the winter.
Seriously??? I've been here for 11 years, and I have to say the bar scene is probably at its best during the winter. During summer everyone is having parties on rooftops and decks, you are at tons of neighborhood festivals or sitting on patios. Winter is when everyone still goes out just as much, but aside from December holiday house parties, you're more likely to be hitting up the bar scene when it's colder.

winter = bars; summer = parties/patios/decks/beaches

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Los Angeles during the Winter.

Chicago during the Summer.

Fall and Spring - Probably LA, despite its lame 2am last call that always kills the mood. At least Chicago has a lot of options past those times year round.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM

451 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Of all the cities I've been to in the country, Portland is second only to Chicago in terms of neighborhoody-divey-corner bars, per capita at least. Especially for being a city that isn't that crowded or urban outside of downtown, there are corner bars everywhere, all with the "Oregon Lottery" sign (that sort of reminds me of the "Old Style" sign you see sticking out of a lot of Chicago bars). A ton of the bars in Portland have been infiltrated by hipsters, but a suprisingly large number remain relativley untouched neighborhood haunts.

Bingo.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Seriously??? I've been here for 11 years, and I have to say the bar scene is probably at its best during the winter. During summer everyone is having parties on rooftops and decks, you are at tons of neighborhood festivals or sitting on patios. Winter is when everyone still goes out just as much, but aside from December holiday house parties, you're more likely to be hitting up the bar scene when it's colder.

winter = bars; summer = parties/patios/decks/beaches

People probably drink more in the winter, who knows, but the ****ty winters just means you go that much harder in the summer.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Any Angelinos seen Marty and Elaine recently or is the Dresden done these days?

Last edited by Scott5280; 07-09-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Some of these posts are ridiculous. I do agree Chicago = better bars, LA = better clubs.

I will give the slight edge to LA for having a more exciting and sophisticated nightlife, but I think Chicago has much better variety, by a lot.

To the people who saying Chicago nightlife is on par with SF and Boston, wow, what a terrible comment. In my personal opinion Chicago for me has the second best nightlife, just because of my person preferences.

However to the general population I would rank the best nightlife's in the country as:

1. NYC
2. Miami
3. Las Vegas
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago

I think in any five of these cities you will have more than enough and none has BAD nightlife. Outside of these five I think their truly is a large drop in nightlife amongst other American cities.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
LA= better clubs

Chicago = better bars

It depends on how you look at it.

Chicago has much later last call, and has the most bars per capita out of any city.

LA has better clubs.

I think Chicago's nightlife is more accessible, as there is a 24 hour train that connects them, many of them are centralized in various neighborhoods so you don't have to drive, and the bars aren't as cosmopolitan and exclusive, so you don't have to know people to get into them like many places in LA.

Overall, in the wintertime LA has better nightlife, and in the summertime Chicago does.
This regardless these two both excel in this regard

Love both for different reasons but both offer a ton

Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Some of these posts are ridiculous. I do agree Chicago = better bars, LA = better clubs.

I will give the slight edge to LA for having a more exciting and sophisticated nightlife, but I think Chicago has much better variety, by a lot.

To the people who saying Chicago nightlife is on par with SF and Boston, wow, what a terrible comment. In my personal opinion Chicago for me has the second best nightlife, just because of my person preferences.

However to the general population I would rank the best nightlife's in the country as:

1. NYC
2. Miami
3. Las Vegas
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago

I think in any five of these cities you will have more than enough and none has BAD nightlife. Outside of these five I think their truly is a large drop in nightlife amongst other American cities.

Out of those five, for me personally, id rank them..

NYC
Chicago
LA
Miami
Vegas

For the record, id rather go out in Philly, Montreal, Toronto or Seattle over Miami and Vegas.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Out of those five, for me personally, id rank them..

NYC
Chicago
LA
Miami
Vegas

For the record, id rather go out in Philly, Montreal, Toronto or Seattle over Miami and Vegas.
I agree my style is more casual. I don't really like clubs or places where there are dress codes. So places like Vegas, LA and Miami are less my style. With that being said there is no denying that those five cities though are the best for nightlife overall in this country. You can rank them anyway you want, but I truly believe those are THE cities in this country to experience good nightlife.

I think New Orleans would be six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City