Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM

80 posts, read 123,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
I've been in downtown Houston since this afternoon, and it has seemed pretty dead the whole time. Even with a ballgame going on, it never got very crowded. My brother did some exploring while my wife and I caught the ballgame, and he said everything, restaurants included, seemed to be closing extremely early, especially for a Saturday.
You really need to see how dead Downtown San Jose is. It's a virtual ghost town almost all the time. It's worst than 9-5 type. Very empty and hallow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The thought that a Downtown has to be the center of everything is quite an antiquated idea. Most major cities have their action spread out. This is true for LA, Chitown, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, even NYC.
Yes, I agree.

Why does it all have to be downtown. I like have multiple districts as options.

Also, there are many people who do not like major crowds.

i would prefer more restaurants, and shopping downtown, the crowds I can do without.

I want a flood of amenities, the flood of people... sorry other cities can enjoy that if that makes them happy.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I was just in Atlanta last month for 4 days and stayed in a hotel DT Thurs-Sunday, it was EXTREMELY dead every day. I couldn't believe a place could be so dead for such a big metro. Nothing I would call vibrant whatsoever and lacked any decent nightlife or restaurants. Hence you'll see I created the Charlotte vs Atlanta Downtown threads. I have been to Charlotte also so had a frame of reference of what the DT was supposed to be like in this region, I honestly think Charlotte has a better DT than Atlanta, and at least on par, as sad as that may sound, or I guess impressive if you live in Charlotte.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Dog View Post
You really need to see how dead Downtown San Jose is. It's a virtual ghost town almost all the time. It's worst than 9-5 type. Very empty and hallow!
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
My thoughts exactly.
San Jose is more dead than Atlanta and even more lame, I agree. As I posted in a thread I actually think San Jose loses about 5% population during the day.
If you are going to those metros I would not even bother with San Jose at ALL, probably the lamest city in all of California and the most sterile and boring big city I have seen in the United States. Stick with SF/Oakland/Berkeley.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I was just in Atlanta last month for 4 days and stayed in a hotel DT Thurs-Sunday, it was EXTREMELY dead every day. I couldn't believe a place could be so dead for such a big metro. Nothing I would call vibrant whatsoever and lacked any decent nightlife or restaurants. Hence you'll see I created the Charlotte vs Atlanta Downtown threads. I have been to Charlotte also so had a frame of reference of what the DT was supposed to be like in this region, I honestly think Charlotte has a better DT than Atlanta, and at least on par, as sad as that may sound, or I guess impressive if you live in Charlotte.
I'm not buying this. How could it be EXTREMELY dead with over 200,000 workers and students coming in each day? And nightlife is really not centered Downtown, with the exception of hotel oriented places. Restaurants, again not buying your story. There are several great restaurants Downtown. Next time ask the Concierge where to go, that's why they pay them.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Who still goes downtown for a good time anyway? What year is this? 1950? Entertainment is entertainment, no matter where it's located. A hot chick and a beer, is still gonna be a hot chick and a beer even if it's in the burbs.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Who still goes downtown for a good time anyway? What year is this? 1950? Entertainment is entertainment, no matter where it's located. A hot chick and a beer, is still gonna be a hot chick and a beer even if it's in the burbs.
In a city with a great downtown, who hops in the car and goes to the 'burbs for a good time anyway? What year is this? 1975?

Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
In a city with a great downtown, who hops in the car and goes to the 'burbs for a good time anyway? What year is this? 1975?
Most cities don't have their nightlife centered in Downtown. Ours is actually centered in several older neighborhoods around the city.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Most cities don't have their nightlife centered in Downtown. Ours is actually centered in several older neighborhoods around the city.

Nor does a city with excellent concentration of nightlife DT not have other options outside of the DT. It isnt an either/or though without a concentrated DT it can become an or
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City