Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well well well, pot meets kettle huh?
Exactly. He's the last person to say this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM

182 posts, read 301,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Atlantic Station doesn't suck. And someone should have told you about the free shuttle from Arts Center. Eventually there will be streetcars over the bridge.
What makes you think he didn't know about the free shuttle? He said it sucked, he didn't say it was inaccessible. And if he thought it sucked now, how are streetcars over the bridge gonna make it suck any less?

Quote:
I guess the fact that Atlantic Station replaced an old steel mill means nothing to you.......
What does what it replaced have anything to do with whether or not it sucks?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I agree with the comments of some other posters that it is a bit artificially limiting to only discuss "downtowns" proper. Very often downtowns serve as a primarily business location and the most vibrant area of town for nightlife will be somehwere else.

For my money, if there is a walkable, lively area in a city (especially one easily accessible by public transportation) that is where I want to be for nightlife, and it doesn't really matter if that is "downtown" or not.

For instance, South Beach isn't in downtown Miami (actually, it isn't in Miami at all, it is in Miami Beach), but pretty much anyone going to Miami for business knows if they want to take in the scene, they head to South Beach. Similarly, I don't think that the French Quarter is technically "downtown" New Orleans (that would be the CBD-Central Business District), but that is where a ton of tourist attractions/bars/clubs are located. So someone could say that there isn't a ton going on in downtown Miami or New Orleans and they would technically be correct, but for the average joe the answer is misleading b/c Miami and N.O. have two of the liveliest scenes in the country. On a lesser degree this applies to places like Midtown Atlanta. Even DC, widely regarded as one of the most walkable cities in the country can be a little slow at night, but it is easy enough to go to the U-Street Corridor, Adams-Morgan, Georgetown, The Hill, etc.

So to me it is bit literal/picky to discuss which cities have the worst downtowns if those cities have vibrant fun districts nearby.
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-downtown, but who needs a vibrant centralized DT when your city has multiple vibrant party/nightlife/fashion/art/whatever districts/neighborhoods/corridors spread across the city?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-downtown, but who needs a vibrant centralized DT when your city has multiple vibrant party/nightlife/fashion/art/whatever districts/neighborhoods/corridors spread across the city?
I do. This is not an urban city, but a sprawled and medium density one. Which is why your favorite cities are LA, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I do. This is not an urban city, but a sprawled and medium density one. Which is why your favorite cities are LA, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.
Ehhh, so if Buffalo has everything you want and need DT, and LA doesn't, than Buffalo is more vibrant/entertaining/urban than Miami?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Are there any major downtowns that aren't pushing at least somewhat successful downtown revitalization?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are there any major downtowns that aren't pushing at least somewhat successful downtown revitalization?
I think just about all of them are.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
You do realize all those cities are pretty urban..right? And have nice downtown areas.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:12 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
I don't know who is saying downtown Dallas is dead but I wish someone would up load some pics.I had a 5 hour delay in Dallas and decide to walk around which was around 1 o clock in the morning and from what I seen was hustle and bustle people selling stuff and buy stuff if you know what I mean.The clubs had lines from here to Mexico and what I found was neat was the models at one club posing as manicans and that was impressive.They have the original Mc Donalds there with the huge M that you can walk under and it's becoming to look little like New York city from my oppinon.A city that can't grew out must grow up trap around all the suburbs like Dallas.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM

80 posts, read 123,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd rather hang out in DT San Jose than DT Fresno any day.
Actually, Fresno has some cool places to hang out downtown. There are some cool bars and nightclubs bringing cool people downtown. Downtown San Jose is the most boring and deadest downtown around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City