Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,095 times

Advertisements

Phoenix hands down for our largest MSA's the least vibrant by a mile from my experiences. If Raleigh qualified as being a big city in the heart of the Research Triangle MSA that would also be near the top..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dead is probably inaccurate though for a city of its size it can be a little underwhelming honestly
Yes.
But the OP also asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm thinking lack of resident inner city population, nightlife, shuts down at 5pm.
This does not exactly define central Houston. What's technically considered downtown could stand to be more vibrant (though is still attracting new businesses), but as I mentioned, it has to compete for nightlife and culture with areas/neighborhoods that are almost right next to it and doing quite well.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,629,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
AK123 has atleast made some points. Since you seem to feel so strongly, why not counter what he/she is saying, with some equally worthwile points?
I have offered the 6pm closing of the only department store. Those two factors shout dead.

No rational counter offered.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Well I personally prefer Midtown but they connect far better than say Houston's DT and say Midtown Houston as an example making it feel larger, more vibrant and cohesive. The void in between in the latter decreases the vibrancy in the borader DT for me personally. Though I would also to me personally Houston has more areas of interest overall when compared to Atlanta. Atlanta is just more vibrant and cohesive in its DT. Guess there are pros and cons to both as neither offer the urban environment I prefer but Midtown and the connected DT in Atlanta come pretty close IMHO.
For the record, I agree about Atlanta's immediate core being more vibrant; however, Midtown Houston does run into downtown. Also, Midtown Atlanta is more built up, but it is distinct from downtown, so it isn't fair to include it in this particular discussion.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

16 posts, read 23,534 times
San Jose has the deadest downtown in the US, not Houston and Dallas or LA. Downtown SJ is a ghost town!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,629,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, it's not dead, it's just not the heart of the urban nightlife right now..
LOL thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
For the record, I agree about Atlanta's immediate core being more vibrant; however, Midtown Houston does run into downtown. Also, Midtown Atlanta is more built up, but it is distinct from downtown, so it isn't fair to include it in this particular discussion.

Fair enough but still Midtown Atlanta is far closer and far more cohesive with the DT when compared to Houston. Unless the neighborhood has DRAMATICALLY changed in the last 12 months it never felt as connected to me. For the record i actually prefer the areas in Houston outside of the DT better but probably like Midtown Atlanta the best of all, to me it feels more like an extension of the DT. Regardless i would still say that DT Atlanta even without MT is a little more vibrant than either DT Houston or DFW. Actually I have always liked DT Ft Worth as well, even though small it has a pretty cool vibe, always screamed TX to me, kind of cool in that way.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Fair enough but still Midtown Atlanta is far closer and far more cohesive with the DT when compared to Houston. Unless the neighborhood has DRAMATICALLY changed in the last 12 months it never felt as connected to me. For the record i actually prefer the areas in Houston outside of the DT better but probably like Midtown Atlanta the best of all, to me it feels more like an extension of the DT. Regardless i would still say that DT Atlanta even without MT is a little more vibrant than either DT Houston or DFW. Actually I have always liked DT Ft Worth as well, even though small it has a pretty cool vibe, always screamed TX to me, kind of cool in that way.
But that's my point. Midtown Houston directly borders downtown. How do you get any closer than that? The general area might have been more built up if it were concentrated along one or two major roads.

Again, I agree with DT Atlanta being better, but only because of dt, and not Midtown.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Proof?
You and other bashers can keep saying otherwise until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it true. Unless of course you think anything is "dead" unless it's the Vegas Strip or Bourbon St.

New places like I've mentioned don't open in areas that are "dead." They do something called market research prior... why would they willingly want to lose money or operate business at a loss?
Basher? Look don't get so offended about my opinion. Houston is a huge city but it's downtown doesn't represent that at all. The adjacent neighborhoods are livelier, like Washington Ave and Neartown. Bourbon St isn't all of downtown New Orleans. I was just there last night and it simply is a better downtown as far as activity. As well as others.
How would anyone prove this? By going and making a video of how dead it is?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
But that's my point. Midtown Houston directly borders downtown. How do you get any closer than that? The general area might have been more built up if it were concentrated along one or two major roads.

Again, I agree with DT Atlanta being better, but only because of dt, and not Midtown.
he is obviously confusing Midtown Houston with the galleria area.

midtown and downtown are joined at the hip while Mid town ATL is some distance away from downtown atl and yet he says it is closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City