Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times

Advertisements

In the Pittsburgh area:Wilkinsburg ,Braddock and and parts of the Penn Hills-Verona area ( slipping down fast) . In the Philadelphia area : Camden and Chester ( even though they are cities of their own), Lacey Park in Bucks County, parts of Upper Darby , Darby-Yeadon in Delaware County and parts of Norristown and Crestmont in Montgomery County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomah View Post
The way you describe suburbs than there aren't really any rough ones. At least in Mass. Although I used to live in Chelmsford, a town you could realistically call a suburb of Lowell, but by far more people worked inside 128.

But yes I agree with you that on this board suburb is used in an odd way. I'm not sure many people would describe Compton as a suburb.
Interesting comment. Do you think it ever was a suburb? If yes, when do you feel it no longer was one, and what changed it? I am curious as to people's perceptions, and yours is an interesting one!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM

93,314 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
In the Pittsburgh area:Wilkinsburg ,Braddock and and parts of the Penn Hills-Verona area ( slipping down fast) . In the Philadelphia area : Camden and Chester ( even though they are cities of their own), Lacey Park in Bucks County, parts of Upper Darby , Darby-Yeadon in Delaware County and parts of Norristown and Crestmont in Montgomery County.
I thouth Yeadon had a pretty low crime rate that it barely above average: //www.city-data.com/city/Yeadon-Pennsylvania.html

Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thouth Yeadon had a pretty low crime rate that it barely above average: //www.city-data.com/city/Yeadon-Pennsylvania.html
It used to have a low crime rate but I understand it has gotten worse in more recent years along with much of Delaware Co. next to Philadelphia city limits. Alot of the riff raff are moving there from the city and are bringing the problems from their old neighborhoods. it is sad to see that happen.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,859 times
Robbins is a rough suburb of Chicago. Have a look around yourself:

13834 Sacramento Ave, Robbins, IL, United States - Google Maps

A little more info about this south side suburb:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6-robbins.html

For such a small town, having registered a murder rate of 135/100k isn't very good. It's dropped quite a bit in past years, but I'm guessing that's due to corruption rather than improvement.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM

217 posts, read 692,883 times
not condoning it at all, but my city of east cleveland, has to be one of the poorest roughest suburbs in the u.s. and they just shut down all are libraries because they couldnt afford it...only spot that compares to me is highland park in detroit....

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
not condoning it at all, but my city of east cleveland, has to be one of the poorest roughest suburbs in the u.s. and they just shut down all are libraries because they couldnt afford it...only spot that compares to me is highland park in detroit....
//www.city-data.com/city/East-Cleveland-Ohio.html

Is that the same place? Unless it's gotten a whole lot worse, it actually looks to be very safe. I'm completely ignorant about it, so excuse me if I'm off.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM

93,314 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Robbins is a rough suburb of Chicago. Have a look around yourself:

13834 Sacramento Ave, Robbins, IL, United States - Google Maps

A little more info about this south side suburb:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6-robbins.html

For such a small town, having registered a murder rate of 135/100k isn't very good. It's dropped quite a bit in past years, but I'm guessing that's due to corruption rather than improvement.

Wow! Robbins looks rougher than I thought. It's interesting as they share a school district Community High School District 218) with a neighboring mostly White community(Oak Lawn, I believe). I wonder how that works out? I know Dwayne Wade is from there and went to Richards High.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
//www.city-data.com/city/East-Cleveland-Ohio.html

Is that the same place? Unless it's gotten a whole lot worse, it actually looks to be very safe. I'm completely ignorant about it, so excuse me if I'm off.
I don't think they have the right stats for East Cleveland. Trust me me and other Cleveland natives know it is a rough place.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I don't think they have the right stats for East Cleveland. Trust me me and other Cleveland natives know it is a rough place.
I looked around East Cleveland on Google streetview and it looks pretty bad, but not as bad as some of the projects I saw on the east side of the city proper. I also read somewhere (maybe on this thread) that they stopped reporting stats or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City