Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,067,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I believe we CAN account for the rest. If NY Metro wants to claim stake to being the largest CSA in the US, then you must include the entire NY/NJ/CT/PA CSA. I know many people who didn't necessarily live IN the city that have NEVER seen a Broadway show. They are natives.

BTW, I never said that New York is so intimidated by LA, you had said that New Yorkers are not intimidated at all by LA, which is painting quite a broad stroke. I also never said that all of LA thinks that NYC is a blip. I was simply stating that YES, NY'ers DO brag about themselves (or their city), YES, they do not seem to understand (in general) much about LA, nor do they take the time to, and YES, LA is aware of the "greatness" of NY, but it is only a blip on their radar as well. Lastly, most of LA's success was NOT on the coattails on NYC.
New yorkers CANT account for what other states do. I could careless about a new york metro. NYC by itself ,which is the biggest city regardless, is all i care about. Those people who dont live in the city are not natives, what are you talking about?

The whole SO part confuses me. New york saying their not intimidated by la is not a broadstroke at all. Nyc is the dominent city in the us, what is their to be intimidated about?.Which is what other nyers have been saying from the get go.

We wouldnt be bragging if this thread didnt ask such a ridiculous question

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,325,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
New yorkers CANT account for what other states do. I could careless about a new york metro. NYC by itself ,which is the biggest city regardless, is all i care about. Those people who dont live in the city are not natives, what are you talking about?

The whole SO part confuses me. New york saying their not intimidated by la is not a broadstroke at all. Nyc is the dominent city in the us, what is their to be intimidated about?.Which is what other nyers have been saying from the get go.

You seem nervous for some reason!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 PM

141 posts, read 194,801 times
Quote:
I believe we CAN account for the rest. If NY Metro wants to claim stake to being the largest CSA in the US, then you must include the entire NY/NJ/CT/PA CSA. I know many people who didn't necessarily live IN the city that have NEVER seen a Broadway show. They are natives.

BTW, I never said that New York is so intimidated by LA, you had said that New Yorkers are not intimidated at all by LA, which is painting quite a broad stroke. I also never said that all of LA thinks that NYC is a blip. I was simply stating that YES, NY'ers DO brag about themselves (or their city), YES, they do not seem to understand (in general) much about LA, nor do they take the time to, and YES, LA is aware of the "greatness" of NY, but it is only a blip on their radar as well. Lastly, most of LA's success was NOT on the coattails on NYC.
LOL, Ive never heard a New Yorker boast that "I live in the largest CSA, or largest Metro!". Where did you get that from? Most NYers don't give a hoot about what goes on beyond the city lines..... especially in Pennsylvania!

New Yorkers live in (by far) the largest city in the United States.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,041,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgjfk View Post
lol, ive never heard a new yorker boast that "i live in the largest csa, or largest metro!". Where did you get that from? Most nyers don't give a hoot about what goes on beyond the city lines..... Especially pennsylvania!

New yorkers live in the largest city in the united states.
bs.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM

981 posts, read 800,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You seem nervous for some reason!
Seem? Trust, they are. They always have been. I would be, too, if I didn't live in the greatness that is LA.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,041,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

Again, I never said that New York is so intimidated by LA. You had said that New Yorkers are not intimidated at all by LA, which is painting quite a broad stroke because (in simpler terms so that you can process this) you cannot speak for every NY'er.

Are you trying to tell me that residents of Long Island are not counted as part of the NY CSA? Really?? I've read many NY'ers brag on CD that it's not the city that counts, but the CSA (or MSA for some cities). NYC CSA does include NY/NJ/CT/PA, does it not? Now you're saying it's only the city that counts.

You say that "NYC is the dominant city in the US, what is there to be intimidated about?" That's rather pompous and elitist sounding. I'm not sure if that is really something to brag about...being the elitist of the country who thinks they are the most elite in the world (I'm sure the rest of the world is just enamored by that type of thinking)...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

36,630 posts, read 67,178,829 times
I used to live in New York and noticed that there was a ton of animosity there towards California in general-most of it is good natured, otoh some people can be quite nasty.

In any event, New Yorkers in my experience usually have a very strong opinion of California-almost always negative. I can say that this sentiment is definitely not mutual. Californians generally don't think negatively of New York at all-nor do they make insulting comments to NYers about their city.

When people asked me where Im from and I would say Oakland, either I got a ghetto remark or something about gays in Sf or fruits and nuts.

I think I mentioned here before that one of my neighbors in NY used to snidely call me Paris(as in Paris Hilton-LOL). Forget that Im a Polynesian male. LOL

At the same time,many, many, many, many NYers know someone or have a relative in California.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,906,087 times
I don't have a horse in this race, but I think the original question is pretty funny. I doubt that New Yorkers feel threatened by any other city.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
bs.
Yeah, just go to almost any "New York Vs." thread.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,129,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I think the biggest "tell" or what gives away NYC's complex away regarding LA is the level of adamancy that boosters go to deny it and fight it.

It should not be that serious, but the numbers of posts here suggest otherwise. In my opinion and real life observations, New Yorkers probably envy LA's weather, lifestyle, and glamour. Simply because a very high quality of it is there and it comes so effortlessly. It's just a different lifestyle, which is not for everybody, but I'm sure many New Yorkers yearn for and would probably prefer. Dealing with the weather is hard. Dealing with the high costs is hard. Dealing with the rat race is hard.

It's the very same reason that so many people all over the world dream of California, because we export a certain culture, a positive vibe, and we make it look so damn easy.

You make me laugh. Basically by your "rationale" there is basically nothing a New Yorker can do to win. They lose no matter what. If they deny your bogus claims, they are scared and insecure. Yet if they say nothing, misinformed people will listen to your b.s. You've basically left NY'ers no room for their side of anything. Nice way to debate. If you say something and a New Yorker disagrees with you, they are insecure and obviously scared......... laugh. Isn't there anything else to do? I mean seriously. It is all so petty.

Well cute. You obviously have a manipulative, er I mean funny way of looking at things. I haven't really seen that you are being open minded in any discussion and that you really have anythng to offer this discussion. It is obvious that you are a NY hater. We get it. You don't like NY. I can handle that. Your point is taken. I guess I'll be seeing you at another thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City