Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most underrated New England City?
Manchester NH 2 8.70%
Concord NH 0 0%
Springfield MA 1 4.35%
Hartford CT 5 21.74%
Worcester MA 1 4.35%
New Haven CT 2 8.70%
New London CT 1 4.35%
New Bedford MA 1 4.35%
Lowell MA 0 0%
Haverhill MA 1 4.35%
Bangor ME 2 8.70%
Lewiston ME 0 0%
Fall River MA 1 4.35%
Lawrence MA 0 0%
Pittsfield MA 1 4.35%
Bridgeport CT 1 4.35%
other (why?) 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows and visits Boston on trips to New England. Providence is considered the second city of the region. Smaller gems like Newport RI, Portland ME, Burlington VT, and Portsmouth NH get a good deal of tourism and press as well. What do you think is the most underrated/ under-appreciated New England city (for the sake of this thread, pop of around 25,000+)?

With respects to New Bedford and Lowell, MA which both have made a lot of progress and have a good amount to offer, I'll go with New Haven, CT. It's a pretty city with an eclectic downtown area surrounding a nice, New England style common. Yale's presence (and other institutions) is a big plus. New Haven has great food and a prime location. It doesn't get a lot of press, but I love New Haven.

*edit* I'd appreciate if people didn't include immediate metro area cities as they are often closely related to the principal city of said metro area (i.e. Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, etc or Providence/Pawtucket/Warwick). Try to pick independent or distant satellite cities please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
I don't like that you made this thread so exclusive. You basically tell us what we can and cannot vote for.

That being said, I voted "other" because I do think Providence is an underrated city, its status in New England notwithstanding.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I think this is a really neat topic. I am a southerner so I do not have enough info to vote yet. I will base my decision based on informed posts from posters.

That being said, some other really nice NE towns that I hear of that are impressive are New Haven, Bridgeport, and Providence. These areas are basically, on paper, just small cities. But their GDP is much larger than their population stats. I think Bridgeport is $80 billion. I also hear that weather in New Haven is not bad compare to other NE towns. Overall, I think I like the Connecticut metros.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I don't like that you made this thread so exclusive. You basically tell us what we can and cannot vote for.

That being said, I voted "other" because I do think Providence is an underrated city, its status in New England notwithstanding.
How is it so exclusive? I listed 16 cities and an "other" option so you can say why you feel a certain city is underrated even if it's not on the poll. The poll is just entertainment... the "winner" isn't getting a prize or anything.

I love Providence. I lived there for 2 years. From a nationwide point of view, it's underrated for sure. However, when compared to New England cities, it's considered second best for just about everything (food, architecture, nightlife, history, entertainment, etc) which is why I didn't put it in the poll. Glad to hear your reasoning though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

That being said, some other really nice NE towns that I hear of that are impressive are New Haven, Bridgeport, and Providence. These areas are basically, on paper, just small cities. But their GDP is much larger than their population stats. I think Bridgeport is $80 billion. I also hear that weather in New Haven is not bad compare to other NE towns. Overall, I think I like the Connecticut metros.
Good points, many of these cities are powerhouses... just overshadowed by larger neighbors (Boston, NYC). The weather in New Haven is tempered by Long Island Sound and the fact that it's further South than most N.E. cities. Keep in mind, these city populations are "low" because they have tiny footprints in terms of square mileage in most cases (though some are just plain small cities). Providence has a population of about 178,000 in the city but 1.6 Million in the metro. it's because Providence itself is only 18.5 square miles. New Haven is 18.9 square miles and has about 124,000 there. Hartford has 124,000 in 17 square miles. The small land area is typical of New England cities and is deceiving when comparing size, especially with Southern and Western Cities. For example, Jacksonville Florida has a population of over 800,000 living in 767 square miles (compare that to Providence's 18.5 square miles)! It's metro area (at 1.3 Million) is actually smaller than Providence's. City Population figures in New England are very deceiving.

Last edited by lrfox; 12-13-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Could have voted for most of them. Even if some of them are grimy right now, they will eventually come back.

Anyway I gave my vote for the historic seaport city of New Bedford, Massachusetts. A little gem many people never heard of.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Just out of curiosity, are there any urban New England cities with large areas of rowhouses like those in Boston? The Boston ones are gorgeous, but I'm hoping that they're characteristic urban New England and not just Boston.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just out of curiosity, are there any urban New England cities with large areas of rowhouses like those in Boston? The Boston ones are gorgeous, but I'm hoping that they're characteristic urban New England and not just Boston.
New London, Springfield & New Haven all have rows. Never seen the old factory town of Lowell but it would seem likely they are there. I am not sure about the others.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Thought I would have seen Portland as an option.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Portland, no one ever talks about it but it's a nice city.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
My wife and I were blown away at New Bedford's preserved history as the world's whaling capital. You feel like it's 1840 when your there. It also has a great Portuguese culinary tradition.
I also agree with the New Haven choice. It's a great little city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City