Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Through most of the decade Florida was one of the fastest growing states. But the sunny clime -- and 6 others -- lost more residents than they gained in the year ended July 1.

Biggest losers: Where Americans aren't moving - California (1) - CNNMoney.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Okay, time for a reality check:

1. Unlike nearly all other states, California has never had a net year-to-year population loss since statehood.

2. California is bigger now than its ever been and as of July 1, 2009, is home 38.4 Million people.

3. California has grown by 4.6 Million people since 2000.

4. The people who leave are replaced by even more immigrants and they have helped the state economy grow by $800 Billion since 2000.

Enough with the BS. California is not shrinking.

As if.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
I thought everybody was moving to NY

Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Not NY in general but Downstate NY's population is rising.

That's a beautiful pic they have of Long Island too.

They're showing very prominent parts of the "loser states" which makes it seem like those parts are losing people when they're really not.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
In case you did not catch the title of the thread, montclair, the title is where Americans are not moving. Not whether or not the state is growing. Not that hard to comprehend.

If the title was where people from Mexico are not moving, than california would probably not be on the list.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
A lot of those make sense though for domestic net-outmigration. States like California, New York, Florida and Illinois have always been huge gateways for international immigration. They get hundreds of thousands to millions of immigrants each decade. Then those people dispurse from there.

Hence why none of those states listed above have ever posted an ACTUAL loss of population from decade to decade except NY in the 70's, mainly because of NYC's mess at that time.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 PM

106 posts, read 288,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
More envy from someone who lives in the boondocks.

New York City/Downstate NY and Upstate New York are two entirely separate things. The vast majority of New York State's population loss come from upstate cities such as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester have lost extraordinary amounts of people. Secondly, this list is about about Americans and where they moved. Americans aren't everybody.

But yes, numerically NYC's population has gained the most (from a mixture of immigration + domestic + births) and Los Angeles is also somewhere at the top. States like New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois are all international magnets with high turnover rates.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s-growth_N.htm

Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 PM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
More envy from someone who lives in the boondocks.

Downstate and New York City/Upstate New York are two entirely separate things. The vast majority of New York State's population loss come from upstate cities such as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester have lost extraordinary amounts of people. Secondly, this list is about about Americans and where they moved. Americans aren't everybody.

But yes, numerically NYC's population has gained the most. More than Houston. (from a mixture of immigration + domestic + births) and Los Angeles is also somewhere at the top.

Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com
That's pretty nasty and quite presumptuous. Not everyone is clamoring to be a New Yorker. If people make statements like the one machiavelli1 made, it is most likely because of so many statements like the one you made.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
I can tell you one thing...lots of people are moving to WA.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
In case you did not catch the title of the thread, montclair, the title is where Americans are not moving. Not whether or not the state is growing. Not that hard to comprehend.
Actually based on the moronic posts in City-Data regarding California's growth-it has to be made crystal clear lest some might be confused.

The lyrics of this song perfectly describe the State of California's situation despite all the people who left thinking we were headed into the sunset:

Now that you are out of my life,
I'm so much better,
You thought that I'd be weak without ya,
But I'm stronger,
You thought that I'd be broke without ya,
But I'm richer,
You thought that I'd be sad without ya,
I laugh harder,
You thought I wouldn't grow without ya,
Now I'm wiser,
You thought that I'd be helpless without ya,
But I'm smarter,
You thought that I'd be stressed without ya,
But I'm chillin'

Thought I couldn't breathe without you,
I'm inhalin'
You thought I couldn't see without you,
Perfect vision,
You thought I couldn't last without ya,
But I'm lastin'
You thought that I would die without ya,
But I'm livin'
Thought that I would fail without ya,
But I'm on top,
Though it would be over by now,
But it won't stop,
You thought that I would self-destruct,
But I'm still here,
Even in my years to come,
I'm still gon' be here.

I'm a survivor (what),
I'm not gonna give up (what),
I'm not gon' stop (what),
I'm gonna work harder (what),
I'm a survivor (what),
I'm gonna make it (what),
I will survive (what),
Keep on survivin' (what),
I'm a survivor (what),
I'm not gonna give up (what),
I'm not gon' stop (what),
I'm gonna work harder (what),
I'm a survivor (what),
I'm gonna make it (what),
I will survive (what),
Keep on survivin' (what).

Bye haterz. Turns out you were nothing but excess baggage.

Quote:
If the title was where people from Mexico are not moving
Or Asia, Or Europe, Or Africa, Or Oceania, Or Latin America and everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City