Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

I'd say the Virginia tidewater drawl is closer to Boston: non-rhoticism, for a start, and sounds less nasal than the typical Central Texas/Oklahoma twang. Would you agree or disagree?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM

492 posts, read 1,028,031 times

Map of Non-Rhotocism

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times
Well, based off of the non-rhoticism, most people will look at the R dropping and say that it sounds like Boston. When it comes to R dropping, I can tell the difference between Boston, NY, Savannah. I would get a little confused if someone from the TW area said cars because they are sort of similar to Boston. Have one of them say "there" and I'll be able to tell, for sure.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM

845 posts, read 2,832,358 times
I DISAGREE WITH THAT MAP. I'm puzzled why it shows Washington DC and suburbs as a "pink non-rhotic island" -- since Caucasian people native-born in the Washington DC area are DEFINITELY rhotic (except for some very old, aged residents, who are dwindling in numbers). Black residents born there may speak non-rhotic, but this is true in other big northern cities as well, not just DC.

Also, people in the northern neck and middle peninsula of Virginia (some of my cousins) are VERY non-rhotic -- not only do they omit "R"s in unstressed syllables, they also omit "R"s in stressed syllables as well (example: hurt, work, word, bird) - like New Englanders do. HOW DARE the mapmaker not shade that area in "pink". You can hear some Tidewater VA accents here YouTube - Broadcast Yourself (search there under "Tidewater accent"). Also, the map's pink area seems to stop right at Richmond, VA. Aren't people of southside VA traditionally non-rhotic, or is this changing with the younger generation?

Some senior-citizen "country type" residents of southern MD are also non-rhotic, also this varies.

And shouldn't the pink area also extend further west into NH and more of CT and MA ? Everyone I've ever met from NH has spoken non-rhotic, and yet the map shows most of NH as rhotic. - ??

Last edited by slowlane; 11-18-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
What's "tidewater"?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What's "tidewater"?
It's the area surrounding Hampton Roads in VA. Still don't know? It's the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News/Virginia Beach area.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What's "tidewater"?
Tidewater Region of Virginia

Tidewater Accent

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
The Savannah/Low Country version sounds quite different than that of Boston IME. In Boston, 'Birthday' might sound like 'Bathday'; in Savannah, it would sound like 'Boothday'. A Bostoner might pronounce the word 'Tournament' 'Tanamint'; in Savannah, it would sound like 'Tunamint'.
Lord knows I've listened to my Low Country relatives pronounce those words often enough...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say the Virginia tidewater drawl is closer to Boston: non-rhoticism, for a start, and sounds less nasal than the typical Central Texas/Oklahoma twang. Would you agree or disagree?
Eh......it's really in the middle. It sounds like a mix of Boston and Central Texas. It doesn't sound more like the other.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I DISAGREE WITH THAT MAP.
I think it is fairly accurate. Of course, when you look at any linguistic map in America in 2010 it should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly when it comes to the big cities.

As for native populations however, I believe it is spot on. If you notice all of the pink areas on the East coast north to south line up with, surprise surprise, the major British colonial areas. I have read a few studies that non-rhotic pronunciation began to emerge prior to British and American English deviating...and that American English is closer to the way English was spoken during colonial times and it is in fact British English that has changed more drastically.

However, the portion that is pink in Louisiana and Mississippi is mostly likely the direct result of the infusion of Acadians (as well as other factors). The portions through Alabama and Georgia streak straight through the Black Belt where AAVE is widely spoken and which is also non-rhotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City