Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM

312 posts, read 909,503 times

Advertisements

Which is the no.1 city in the US with the highest density of bars/clubs and with a culture that means going out almost every night and have a drink/meet new people?

Let's hear your propositions and own experiences if you have any!

It would be nice if you would include:

- Prices (On food & bevereges) Over or Below averege?
- Closing times
- Range of restaurants, clubs and bars in the area

Last edited by stolpioni; 01-07-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
When I was in Boston, I felt like there were bars all over the place. I've been all over the city many times. Also, can't forget NYC.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 AM

312 posts, read 909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
When I was in Boston, I felt like there were bars all over the place. I've been all over the city many times. Also, can't forget NYC.
That's what I thought too, but how about Chicago? I've heard it's the no.1 when it comes to food.

Also, I've heard that the nightlife closes very early in Boston, is that true?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
That's what I thought too, but how about Chicago? I've heard it's the no.1 when it comes to food.

I've never been to Chicago, so I can't say. I imagine it's on par with NY and Boston.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Chicago has 4am closing sunday through friday, and 5am closing on saturdays. Those 5am closings really trip you up. I remember one of my first Saturday's going out after I moved to the city, I walked out when the lights came on and the sun was coming up outside. People on their way to work, walking dogs, jogging. Here I was wasted waiting for the bus thinking "wtf?!? why are all you people up at 530am already starting your day - and why haven't I ended mine yet!". The public transit and thousands of cabs aspect really helps in the city. Once you're out there's rarely the "well I'd better stop, I need to drive home" crowd who calls it quits or shuts the party down early.

Beer prices and drink prices are about average from what I can tell. The one thing I like is that at least on the north side there are always about a dozen bars each night of the week where you can get beers or other mixed drinks for between $1 and $3. Lots of places do "dollar you call it", or have happy hours. I kinda like that, because friends will usually just look up new places and check them out for cheap drinks. Lets you get out and explore your area a little more.

Chicago Bar Project

That's about the best list I've seen of true Bars and Pubs in Chicago as opposed to places that are more oriented towards food, or are restaurants. There are around 1,800 bars listed as of the most recent count. Not sure if EVERY bar in the city is listed, it's more a list put together by a group of guys. I don't know if they squeaked out every dive bar in the city - that would be pretty hard.

Metromix lists 3,464 bars/pubs in the city, although I wonder if some of those are crossovers and include restaurants that also have bars in them.

Either way, the city is definitely defined as having a very solid bar/pub atmosphere. It's lacking in a huge club scene, but bars seem to be on every corner. Some huge 3 story bars and massive sports bars with 30 TVs, other hole in the wall neighborhood places you could walk by and now even notice.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,030 times
Quote:
Typically 2AM, but some bars close at 1AM.

One of my least favorite things about the Boston bar scene is the state prohibition against happy hours - bars can't do drink specials. Some bars compensate by having specials on food, but it's not the same.

There are definitely a lot of bars/pubs around here - especially of the Irish pub variety. But you certainly have plenty of trendy lounge placess too.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM

155 posts, read 196,818 times
Philadelphia has a large bar culture.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Which is the no.1 city in the US with the highest density of bars/clubs and with a culture that means going out almost every night and have a drink/meet new people?

Let's hear your propositions and own experiences if you have any!

It would be nice if you would include:

- Prices (On food & bevereges) Over or Below averege?
- Closing times
- Range of restaurants, clubs and bars in the area
Finally, a thread where Milwaukee can excel. With the exception of touristy Las Vegas, Milwaukee has more bars, restaurants, and clubs per capita than any other city in the country. You can find people out and about every night of the week. I have friends who literally go out 5 or 6 nights a week. I'm considered quite the homebody because I only go out on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesdays for drink specials. There are lots of late-night and 24 hour restaurants for after the bars close, serving Mexican, pizza, diner food, cheesesteaks, gyros, hot dogs, donuts, Chinese food, subs, whatever, you name it, we got it.

For being on the small side, Milwaukee offers lots of variety in the types of establishments you can patronize. Everything from hole-in-the-wall corner taverns and dive bars to fancy schmancy nightclubs and martini lounges. It seems like there are bars on every single block here. There are numerous nightlife districts like North Ave, Brady St, Commerce St, Oakland Ave in Shorewood, and Center St in Riverwest on the city's East Side; Water St, Old World 3rd St, Cathedral Square, and the Historic Third Ward in Downtown Milwaukee; and S 2nd St in Walker's Point, KK Ave in Bay View, and S 13th St in Lincoln Village on the city's Near South Side. There's no shortage of nightlife in this city.

Drink prices in Milwaukee are dirt cheap compared to other big cities and most bars have a special every night of the week. Drinking is ingrained n the culture of Milwaukee. Lots of bars open at 6am for the 3rd shift factory workers who are getting done with work for the day. People go to the bar after church on Sunday. Parents can take their kids to the bar with them. Tons of people have bars in their basements at home. We're not alcoholics in Wisconsin, we're professional drinkers. UW students are banned from participating in beer pong tournaments at Señor Frog's in Cancun. It's ridiculous, but that's why I love it here.

P.S. I have yet to find a bar outside of Wisconsin that can make a decent brandy old fashioned. Most bartenders have never even heard of such a thing and even after you explain to them what's in it, they still can't make it because they don't have the proper ingredients.

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 01-07-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Most of the bars close at 2, but a few do close at 1. Depends on the lic the establishment has. There are also after hours clubs, but they don't seerve booze.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Most of the bars close at 2, but a few do close at 1. Depends on the lic the establishment has. There are also after hours clubs, but they don't seerve booze.
Cliff, can you still go to little no-name joints in Chinatown to get a late night sip?

That was the case the last time I was up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City