Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM

78 posts, read 254,814 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide where to buy a house. Here's some stuff that's important...

-really beautiful surroundings. Mountains and greenery. I don't like big cities much because they typically don't have much of this.

-Doesn't get way too hot (like Arizona)

-Less conservative political climate

-not totally cut off from everything... I mean, doesn't take a TON of driving to
get to an airport or something

-near the coast

-some kind of artist community/scene... At least a few galleries (i'd be painting for a living)

If you guys have any ideas, please reply... Thank you!

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycurious View Post
I'm trying to decide where to buy a house. Here's some stuff that's important...

-really beautiful surroundings. Mountains and greenery. I don't like big cities much because they typically don't have much of this.

-Doesn't get way too hot (like Arizona)

-Less conservative political climate

-not totally cut off from everything... I mean, doesn't take a TON of driving to
get to an airport or something

-near the coast

-some kind of artist community/scene... At least a few galleries (i'd be painting for a living)

If you guys have any ideas, please reply... Thank you!

D
Portland and Seattle, though big, have everything you're looking for including plenty of mountains and greenery. I encourage you to look into them.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Portland and Seattle, though big, have everything you're looking for including plenty of mountains and greenery. I encourage you to look into them.
What about Eugene, OR?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
What about Eugene, OR?
I suppose, but I don't know much about Eugene. Are there mountains near it? I can't think of any, but I'm sure there are.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I suppose, but I don't know much about Eugene. Are there mountains near it? I can't think of any, but I'm sure there are.
I think so...it is a college town surrounded by some scenic hills and peaks. It seems to be just what the OP is looking for, w/o the size of Portland and Seattle. Only thing is, it is not directly near the coast, so that could be a drawback, depending on how important it is to the OP.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
I'd say coastal Oregon. Portland and Seattle are too big. Also - Corvallis.... kind of inland - but within an hour of the coast. It's a lovely, green filled college town.....

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
I agree with Coastal Oregon as an ideal fit. Another good option to look into would be Salem, MA, which fits alot of your criteria.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nyack, NY might fit as well minus the mountains. Cooperstown and Saratoga Springs in NY might work as they are close to mountains, are on lakes and are nice, walkable communities. Saratoga Springs is a bit bigger and actually growing.

Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!
Saratoga Arts Scene: Fine Art Galleries In Saratoga Springs New York - From Beekman To Broadway
City of Saratoga Springs
SPAC–Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce - Welcome
Cooperstown NY's Official Website: This Is Cooperstown - Cooperstown / Otsego County area Visitor Info, Attractions, Accommodations, Events, Dining, Trip Planner, Group Tours, Directions, Maps, Media
Cooperstown, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fenimore art museum®
Home
Glimmerglass Opera

Ithaca might work, if I knew what "too cold" meant.
Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca
Ithaca
Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Denied:1up! Software ()
CKH is right about Nyack as well as New Paltz. Cooperstown is more isolated and so is ithaca, though.

I would also recommend Sussex County, NJ and Warren County, NJ along the Delaware like Milford, Stockton, Frenchtown areas - there is actually a small artist community there and plenty of "cute" little towns that have galleries and antique stores and that kind of thing. Flemington, NJ is in that area and would be good also.

Also, Ocean Grove, NJ and Cape May, NJ, especially if you like doing seascapes.

I'd also recommend Santa Fe or Taos, NM, and Reno, NV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City