Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times

Advertisements

philly @ 173

this is child's play to other countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,087 times
NY is probably closing in on 300.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
philly @ 173

this is child's play to other countries
For developed countries it is anything but child's play. London now that is child's play.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
People would be surprised to find out that many European/any other industrialized nations have a much lower crime rate than the U.S. Our country was founded on the right to carry a gun. Bad mistake because in the 1700's, "Right to bear arms", meant something completely different. In today's world it is a very vague statement. But we can't do anything about it, it's been part of our society for hundreds of years and it's planted in the Constitution. Many people do not realize how much this relates to our gun laws today.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i don't know, There was a map of Chicago homicides somewhere in this thread and it surprised me how distributed throughout the city the homicides actually were.
no pratically almost all Chicago homicides are majority in the west and south side. the north side of Chicago mainly is very safe overall.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Why are we making a competition out of peoples' deaths?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
no pratically almost all Chicago homicides are majority in the west and south side. the north side of Chicago mainly is very safe overall.
What do you mean no? Yes, It shocked me to see how distributed the murders were. There seemed to be only small pockets where murders didn't happen. Even the north side had them. It was surprising to me, because the southside, which seems massive, is the only part of Chicago that i thought was really the only dangerous part and it was a bit disturbing to find out otherwise. Not that it changes my view on Chicago at all though. Plus, because the map was small and there were so many murders, the map makes it look worse than it is.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
What do you mean no? Yes, It shocked me to see how distributed the murders were. There seemed to be only small pockets where murders didn't happen. Even the north side had them. It was surprising to me, because the southside, which seems massive, is the only part of Chicago that i thought was really the only dangerous part and it was a bit disturbing to find out otherwise. Not that it changes my view on Chicago at all though. Plus, because the map was small and there were so many murders, the map makes it look worse than it is.
theirs really only 2 bad sides of chicago and thats the south and west sides, and on top of that not all of the southside is bad theirs a few nice areas.

but overall the north side is very safe, and the east side well theirs no east side that's just the main city , and ill guess its overall safe to.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
I think hwa talking about the 2009 map where there was like 10 murders in albany park which is on the northside. Most people consider it northwest not north. North is lincoln park old town lakeview etc.
Pretty much east of western ave.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
^See that's what I thought. Chicago may have a pretty bad rep for homicides in the last couple years but it's really nothing to worry about unless your in the bad areas. But with that being said, the bad areas are very scary to be in at night or sometimes even in the day. I remember driving down Kedzie on the south west side and I just wanted to get the hell outta there! ha
The problem when this happens is the city no longer cares about the people suffering murders in other areas of the city. People in the nice areas or rich areas start saying "Oh well....that is just part of life down there in South Chicago." When half the city TOLERATES the deaths and crime happening in the part of town they never visit, politicians and the police force don't feel like they have enough people challenging them to do better.

Crime in L.A. for example used to be a lot worse and a lot more random. The whole city, including the folks in nice neighborhoods challenged the LAPD to crack down on crime and gangs. Public outcry was very high after corruption in the 1990's on behalf of the police department. Chief Bratton came in and did an amazing job turning the LAPD around from corruption from 2002-2009 and Charles Beck is trying to continue the excellent foundation Bratton built for fighting crime and excellent gang crackdowns.

The LAPD has done all this utilizing a relatively small police force. 10,000 officers cover 3.8 million people over 498 sq. miles. There is only one officer for every 426 people. Likewise Chicago PD has 13,000 officers for only 2.8 million people over 237 miles, a ratio of one officer for every 216 people. Clearly the resources are there for Chicago to drop to a similar crime rate as Los Angeles or even New York City, but the people (including those in North Chicago) need to challenge the police department to do a better job. Obviously the police department isn't the whole story, but with that many officers it seems like the city could do better. With the infamous corruption in Chicago politics, the city should always challenge the PD to do its best. When the people in the nice areas have an attitude of "crime is the problem of people in that part of town," then the police department starts to hold that mentality also. Murders happening in the city should be the concern of everyone, for a better city for all residents including the poor. It seems that mentality is lacking in Chicago where posters most frequently chime up with, "But wait!!! At least the murders don't affect all of us lucky folks in North Chicago!! The crime is for those folks in the West and South!"

Perhaps the situation really is that bad though that the police department can't lower crime much more. Crime is dynamic and changes with society and the people. My point is, Chicago needs to not turn its back on its rougher neighborhoods and make it "just their problem."

Last edited by missionhome; 07-26-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City